1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Regretting Getting Involved in BJDs?

Mar 6, 2011

1. No, I don't regret this hobby at all - just the inordinate amount of money I have spent acquiring my dolls and their accessories!
      I enjoy perusing the Den, and posting my own silly little photostories and pictures. I can spend as much or as little time as I want with my dolls and not feel guilty about it. I have learned never to feel guilty about a hobby because it completely takes the joy right out of it. At this point in time I don't plan on getting any more dolls (MAYBE one more pukipuki) but as long as my favourite companies keep churning out cute little wigs and outfits I'll keep buying! I know from my own experience that all hobbies seem to have their ups and downs but all I have to do is come downstairs and see their sweet little resin faces and I'm hooked all over again!

2. I don't have any major regrets, exactly. I do take some issue with small things like not having space. Sometimes I wonder where all my drive to paint went; I used to paint constantly, now it takes me considerable effort to get into a good painting mood. And I used to love photography of any sorts, but my flickr is nearly consumed by my dolls. I feel like the dolls have pushed everything else to the wayside in some ways, for good or bad.

3. I think I am starting to regret spending so much money on impulse purchases. Trying to redeem myself now though! xD.

I don't regret getting into the hobby as a whole though. I have met some lovely people along the way!

4. I regret not getting earlier in the hobby XD

But seriously though, sometimes I regret not getting enough time to other artistic things... Like animation! I should be animating something! But then there's pretty dollies and they "need" my attention and...

5. No regrets! I don't regret it, because it's brought me a lot of enjoyment and happiness! For me, any expense has been well worth it.:)

6. Actually yes.

I've been in this hobby for longer than I'd like to remember. And while I love my dolls, I regret sometimes what came of them. Not only have I spent oodles of money, I've got involved in way too much drama. Caught in too many hate-fests, and in too many drama-filled meetups. Nowadays I don't even do these things- meetups and interacting in the community. I don't buy or sell, which always ended up terribly for me. I never particularly meant to engage in bad transactions, I always went in with an earnest want to do good, but that didn't happen. I've been involved in more drama and problems than I would have ever liked, and it makes it hard to enjoy the social aspects of BJDs.

7. Regrets??? My only regret is giving my boiz miniature daggers....its nerve racking, every night going to sleep knoing theyre there in the corner with weapons, plotting, watching you in your most vulnerable state. And when I wake up, they have the blade under my chin, whispering maniacle threats, only to laugh and say "oh no, your not being dispatched today. Not today" Only to knock me out again with a bottle. =(

8. I have no regrets about this hobby at all. If I ever start to regret it, it would be my cue to find something else that will make me happy. There will always be something to spend money on, so why not dolls?

9. Sometimes. I get buyers regrets often, and tend to sell my dolls off a lot quicker than I used to do... I hardly buy anything for them anymore. I prefer to keep my cash and spend it on more important things than my dolls, but on the other hand, they do bring me happiness... I'll keep them around for a while longer. :)

10. I can only echo what others have already said. Yes, sometimes I am overwhelmed by the hobby, and right now I'm in a dry-spell with regard to inspiration, and funding. I can't think of a thing to do with the dolls I have, and I'm at a loss thinking of the dolls I want. I could definitely spend my money on more "important" things. I've had negative run-in's with people IN the hobby - never those outside of it - and I'm often frustrated by the overall flakiness+cliquishness+immaturity of the local community.

But I do love me some dolls.

11. honestly. a little bit...
      I just can't bond with ANY doll. so I sell them within a month, get new ones instead. and in the end i'm like: what's the point?? where's the fun?
      and never be able to keep a doll makes me....sad.

12. No, I don't have any regrets. I'm new to BJD's but not to dolls in general. I've always created clothing wigs and accessories etc. for my dolls, so BJD's were a natural next step for me. I spent a long time trying to familiarize myself with the major doll makers and it took me a very long time to choose my first doll. I don't regret that at all. It is an expensive hobby though, so my purchases are made very carefully :)

13. I do sometimes regret it. I'm a very self-imposing person and think about a lot of things that do and do not concern me. When i think of all the money (in giant increments i might add) I spend on this hobby, I am confronted with the guilt of all the misfortunate that could have been saved with that money. (I do understand that you cannot save everyone and in the big picture it doesnt really do much but i think of that one person that even for a moment i made their life a little better).
      Also my parents suffer from a lack of business. (they have a self business) and they are not doing well at all. It is a struggle just to pay bills. When i think of how much i splurge (even though its my saved money which even if i earned it think of how much money your parent spends on you so it should be more like "our money") i feel guilty.

But for now i have no intention of giving up this hobby until i am uninterested in it anymore. This is the first actual hobby i ever had (minus reading manga) and the second activiity i enjoy and i am not about to give it up.

14. None for me, I've been in this hobby since end of 04 and I loved every bit of it. I've taken a break for a while and now its time to come back in.
      I have to say I went threw a dark depression when I was first starting this hobby and my dolls helped me so much during that time. I couldn't get help, so they were my help.
      I regret not having enough time to do things with them now since I work so much and hardly go anyplace.

15. Sometimes I have a little bit of regret, but that's usually when I remember how much more satisfying it is to search high and low for a sculpt that really snags your heart (and that feeling when you KNOW you've found the perfect doll... *rapturous sigh*), to painstakingly save the money for it, to wait for weeks for it to be sculpted, and then to receive it and really make it your own that it is to just go and buy a doll from.... say.... target.

16. My only regret is not getting into the hobby sooner!:doh I'd been looking at pictures of them for years, all the while blowing my money on anime and manga through all my spoiled teen years. Only now that I am broke have I bought my first doll :lol:. I find myself thinking the money I spent on manga alone I could've bought 3 -insert dolly name-, quite a few of the dolls I like are no longer made too. :sweat
      My first run in with the community bullying (it does exist!) almost made me quit, but then I remembered that I got into this for myself and all the adorable little resin people on my wishlist. Also the lack of money I have for dolls.*_*

17. have there ever been times when you've thought, "I wish I'd never gotten into this hobby?"
      No. Hasn't ever sprung to mind at all.

[*] the rarity of certain sculpts and how difficult it can be to buy the one you've fallen for
      Rarity doesn't bother me. If I can't have something, that's cool. If I really want something enough, I'll see if I can find it and don't mind saving and waiting--but if it's impossible, it's impossible. I'm very pragmatic about stuff like this.

[*] how easy it is to scratch a face-up, break a finger, rip limited clothes, or otherwise damage a BJD vs. the difficulty of getting replacements
      I've slightly scratched a faceup once. Never had any broken fingers... one small broken head-cap-thingie... But none of these things really bother me. Never had to try and replace anything. I don't think I'd worry about that, either.

[*] the high cost of dolls and accessories putting a strain on your wallet
      Well, this is a problem--but it's my choice to spend money on dolls. It's not as if someone else is twisting my arm. In fact, I'm sure most people would try to get me not to spend. But I like the dolls and think they are worth spending on... If I didn't, then I wouldn't do it--or so I'd think! Or hope! If I want money for something else, more... then I'd hope I'd spend money on that, instead. At any rate, I'd be spending the money... so it's not as if I'd have tons in the bank if I wasn't buying BJDs..

[*] the difficulty of face-ups or modding, and failed attempts causing stress - "I'll never be any good!"
      Doesn't bother me. I can deal with my faceups. If I want something better, I'll get a company faceup or commission someone...

[*] negative reactions from family and friends (bullying from non-doll fans)
      Never had any problems with this. Probably because I'm older with my own income and I also think my friends and family have no say when it comes to my own activities.

[*] unfortunate encounters at doll meets or online (bullying from doll fans)
      I've been doing to meetups and been online since '04 and have always had a great time. I think that people have the right to their own opinions--and I don't have to care about them! :)

[*] etc.
      Well, I've had some wrong stuff delivered and not gotten some things, etc., but this happens with non-bjd stuff, so I can't blame that. I can't really think of anything that is a problem. But then, I tend to be a pretty happy, contented person. I think I've fortunate to be able to have these dolls and talk about them with others... Maybe my expectations aren't as high as some people's?

Please share your thoughts and feelings below.
      I'm sure everyone is different and reacts in different ways. I think people who have regrets have valid feelings. It's too bad, I think. But that's how it is. I hope they get some reassurance from this thread.

On the other hand... if having bjds is more of a chore than not having them--I think they should probably try and do something else. There's a lot of cool things to spend money on in the world. I like others things than bjds, for sure...

Of course, there are stresses in doing anything... It may be that even outside of bjds, there will still be stresses (in fact, I'm sure people will find this is true). The thing is to try and not to be stressed by things, even if they ARE very trying. Get out and do something else for a while. Take your mind off it. Try not to let it get to you. Stress is unhealthy.

18. Nope, not even a bit. I was going to say my wallet regrets it, but that's not really true either. Even though this hobby is expensive, I really cant think of a way I would rather spend my money at this point. I love everything about BJD's. The only thing that hasn't been great was the 'bullying' from friends and family, but that's not enough to make me regret the hobby :)

19. Nope. Nope. Nope. No regrets. Love it. Love my dolls, love the happiness they bring me, love the friends I have made through DOA, love the creativity it involves, love the variety on the DOA forums, and the creativity of others. Love little doll shoes and little doll jeans, love everyone's photos,and I love when I manage to take a good photo! My one regret: I need a bigger set of drawers for my dollies things!! :aheartbea:aheartbea

20. If they were cheaper i think i wouldn't have a problem at all. But because i'm spending so much money on them, i think about what i could have spent it on. 4 dolls can easily round to $1000! :o It overwhelms me when i think of it like that but that's the truth.

My other regret is not sewing worth crap to save money :| i just started and i know i can't be perfect at the beginning but i'm an impatient perfectionist so yeah...

I want to splurge like crazy and just buy whatever i want whenever i want but i can't with such expensive treasures. I would if i could though!

lol i got OCD and depression too, dear, along with a few other things so you're not alone :sweat I take so much medicine it looks like i overdose but i don't