1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

regretting your first doll?

Mar 11, 2020

1. Honestly, no. I quite enjoy my first doll! I still only have her right now and I do have plans to get another one sometime in the future, but I still wouldn't ever say I regret getting her.

2. Absolutely zero regrets! I don't know if I'd be as drawn to him now as I was back then, but it took me quite a while to save up for him, so I was completely sure he was what I wanted by the time I purchased. I've had him for over 14 years now and, while he doesn't get a lot of attention these days, I still absolutely adore him and could never imagine parting with him.

3. It’s not the doll I regret so much as what I did with them creatively…and no, it’s not what you might think.:lol: I didn’t “ruin” them. Quite the contrary. When I wanted to get into BJDs, a person from my local doll club purchased my first introductory doll for me…an SD Obitsu. Basically I was already an artist, and she wanted to trade me this doll in exchange for faceup services for several of her dolls. After I’d taken care of my obligation there, I began working on my own, taking my time and really enjoying the process.:) Everything went extremely well. I did her faceup which turned out beautifully. I made her a gorgeous wig that was perfect for what I’d envisioned. I created the perfect elfin gown befitting her nobility. When I was done, I took a long look at what I’d created and to my horror realized that she was TOO perfect. I mean, I knew I’d never be able to change a thing…not ever! She was destined to remain as static as one of those vinyl fashion dolls in their plastic display boxes. And that’s just NOT what I came into this hobby for. I obviously needed more ongoing creativity from a BJD, but I just couldn’t bear to alter her creative “perfection”. So I quickly sold her, and moved onto creating multi-dimensional characters with full and varied wardrobes who are fluid enough to embrace a bit of change and growth whenever I need them to. I think this first doll was simply a “painting yourself into a corner” scenerio. Perhaps it happened because I didn’t actually choose her for myself.

#103 PoeticSoul, Oct 7, 2022
      Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    4. i wouldn't go as far as saying "I regret my first doll". but i will say that if I had a chance to go back in time, and knew about more companies from the get go, then i'd definitely have picked another company & sculpt. personally, I believe there is a small amount available when getting starting in the hobby, as someone who is almost two years in the hobby, when I started it was very underwhelming. very few videos of doll unboxing, wayyyyy tooo many DOA like websites where you had to have an account, but knew nothing about the app. back to the point, I do not necessarily regret my first doll.

5. Yes! But I still do not want to sell it!

6. Yes, I really regret my first doll. I wanted him to portray one of my favourite characters, but the sclupt and the body were wrong, and I messed up his face up (my first ever). Now it's just a headless body and a floating head and after trying lots of different styles and even bodies, I just don't know what to do with him. I tried selling him but it didn't work so now he's sitting on his box. I may have new plans for him but it would cost me too much money, in addition to what I already paid for him all those years, so I just put him away :atremblin Maybe someday I'll get the courage to send his head for a face up, and find a more suitable head sculpt for his body, I don't know...

7. I only have one BJD. I planned her out very thoroughly, including her custom costume after a lot of research. She's an Iplehouse JID Violet (normal skin, mobility thigh, original body w/ small breast, A type factory face up) and I think she is pretty close to perfect.

I display her with "off topic" dolls and figures and she makes a beautiful centerpiece.

8. Hmm, I wouldn't say I regret buying my first ever doll, but if I could go back to before that and give myself some advice it'd be to save up for something I really wanted instead of rushing because there was a massive sale. (I still have that first doll too, but he hasn't been displayed in.. 10 years or more.)

FOMO is real, and I was not very good at dealing with it back then lol

9. I've had my doll for three months now and I absolutely adore her! Before coming across her sculpt, I looked at a lot of other dolls and wasn't really sure what I wanted. I was worried about spending a lot of money and being disappointed. When I finally saw her, I just knew she was the one! I felt good about the money I spent and when she finally arrived, I was so happy and excited! I don't plan on getting another doll (if I did it would probably be a pet for her) but who knows what the future holds? I'm sure that I'll make a lot of good memories with her though :)

10. I sold all the dolls I purchased at the very start of this hobby. I guess it was a learning process, and I tell myself that have at least hopefully learned what works for me and what doesn’t! :XD:

#110 Esme1971, Feb 22, 2023
      Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
    11. I don't regret my first doll. I was new to the hobby and didn't really know what I wanted, so I got him because he seemed to be the best shell for an OC. He wasn't - all my OC-shelling plans fell through - and that was a very good lesson in developing my BJD aesthetic taste. Even though I abandoned my plans for my first doll, I still liked him, had fun playing with him for a couple of years, and had no regrets when it was time to sell him.

12. I definitely dont REGRET my first doll, she was 'affordable' to an extent, but definitely got me into loving the hobby and i very soon after, got her, her husband as an SDGr so i love her, but i absolutely hate the model i picked for the head, I should have gone with a different DDY body because i absolutely cant stand the 'dead inside' towa face TToTT

13. When I bought my first BJD, I was absolutely in love. It was my dream for a long time, so I was really excited :3nodding: As time passed, my tastes started to change. My first BJD has big eyes and slightly exaggerated features, and I wanted something more realistic. Got thoughts of selling her. However, I decided to clean her up first, then changed her style to the one that I was interested in at the moment, and she became brand-new! I also decided to dress her up in a way that will kind of hide the parts that were not quite up to my taste. Now I’m okay with having both realistic and not realistic looking dolls in my collection and I am so happy that I did not sell her :kitty2 A new look can help sometimes! :XD:

14. I love my first doll and would pick him again if I could redo my buying decisions. I can't express how much I like that little bugger. He certainly has a lot more competition now since I have a lot more dolls now, but he's still my favorite by a long shot. If you had me make a list of my favorite dolls, he's still the undisputed #1 while I will begin having trouble for everyone else below second place.

15. I bought a hybrid and another head at the same time second hand. I ended up selling the head which came on the body, but the second head has stayed on that body ever since :cool: I don't regret buying my first Bjd buy and treat him as my first bjd ;)

#115 kyukyukyu, Mar 31, 2023
      Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    16. I definitely don’t regret my first! Shes perfect imo and I adore her lots and lots!

17. I find that even though Vince is very different from my current aesthetic preferences, I don't regret getting him first. I love him, even if he'll always be a little bit of the odd man out stylistically.

18. I gotta echo everyone in the thread who's like "even though my tastes have changed, I still love my first baby," on account of... preferring more realistic dolls, or dolls with stronger features, but my romantic dillui will always be first place in my heart :3

Although I can't wait to redo her faceup. =A= Three more months...

19. I kind of regret my first doll. It was way too big and for some reason I didn't love her as much as I thought I would. But she helped me figure out what I was looking for in a doll!

20. I was rather young and my mum wanted to buy me a bjd as a gift after many years of admiring them so she hastly made an order from gem of doll. I really liked my doll for maybe a week or so? before just falling out with her and put her away in her box for a good year or so. After that, ( maybe in the last 2 and 1/2 years) I fell in love with her again after changing her look. I have not regret-ed since. :sweat:aheartbea