1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

regretting your first doll?

Mar 11, 2020

1. Never! He’s still the kind I would like to get after all these years. It’s quite sad that Dollzone have discontinued him and most 1/3 boys and girls.

2. My relationship with my first doll is complicated. The reason I bought him was because he was lovely in his fullset pics, but I was about a year too late to order him in fullset. However, I was lucky enough to find him s few months later, but not in fullset. He took a year to get home (covid happened) but when I got him, I did not feel that content with him. It felt like he was missing something, I bought him clothes and a wig but it did not make a difference. He sat in display for a year, I almost never really touched him. That feeling I had for him made me not buy dolls, until RD’s Xie Lian came out and I bought him and got him, the feeling for the latter was so different than with my first doll, but I did not want to give up on him and sell him. I asked for advice here, I followed it and I went for a completely new look for my first doll and now I think he’s lovely..turns out he only needed a makeover :lol:.

3. Heh. Funny story about that (to me, anyway).
      My first doll was the doll that got me into BJDs: an Iplehouse Mari. I saw a picture of her, and I just had to have her. At first, I was saving up for an SID, but then I saw that they offered FID! For, like, half the price! So I promptly ordered one.
      When she arrived, I remember feeling a little... disappointed. She didn't seem to look like all the pictures I stared at. I chalked it up to being new to the hobby.
      [​IMG]
      [​IMG]

Then one of my kitties got sick, and I was staring down a massive vet bill, and keeping an expensive doll... well, it seemed wasteful and selfish. So I sold her.
      Fast-forward a couple years, and an nSID Mari pops up on Instagram. Used! Cheaper than new! With an Iplehouse face-up! I pounced.

And this time, when she arrived, I double-checked my old photos, just in case.
      [​IMG]
      Mari's on the left.

Sure enough: this is not the same doll.
      [​IMG]

*shrug* It all worked out, I guess. Just a little anecdote to share.

4. I don't regret my first doll, but I do regret the body she's on. Out if my crew she has the worst possibility and I'm tempted to buy her a second body, the only thing stopping me is she's 12 years old and I worry about color matching. I'm very sentimental about the dolls I own and they have a consistent style (I stumbled into the style I still love. No complaints there).

5. I loved my first doll in the beginning! She was a Dream of Doll E-an. Over time, though, I realized she didn't fit the character I wanted her for as much, and other dolls were being released that I wanted more. She was absolutely lovely, but I didn't have any regrets when I sold her.

6. Nobu (Volks Shiro Tachibana) was my first and I have never once regretted him. In fact, despite him ending up much more expensive than expected, I would do it all over again. I still have him and love him lots.

Haven't regretted any of my other purchases either. I regret selling two of them though.

7. I have been lurking on subreddits, websites, and eventually joined here. I guess it's been a little under a year of creeping? My bun I ordered i found through IG and i would hope after all the hemming hawing I wouldn't fall out of love once she gets here. I ordered the full set so my first isn't a project and spend more time bonding. I can't imagine falling out of love.

8. The only thing I kind of regret now that I didn't at the beginning was getting my first bjd, a Minifee Celine, with the company faceup. I didn't paint my own faceups until I was a few years into the hobby, so I didn't really have any other option, but at this point I wish I felt free to redo her faceup as I've sort of grown out of it. It's beautiful, and I paid for it, so I don't want to wipe it. But at the same time, the colors and style aren't what I paint on my blank dolls... It's just one of those bjd things. :XD:

Also, if I got into the hobby knowing what I know now, I wouldn't have gotten Fairyland dolls just because of the bodies' posability. Heads yes, bodies no. There are a lot of bodies that cost less and pose better.

9. This is a really good question! My first doll was a MNF Shushu who is still with me to this day – and I still love her. However I've always struggled immensely with giving her a character/backstory that really inspired me, until very recently. But I find that now her character is finally blossoming, she might actually be outgrowing her doll form, and the dilemma is a bit similar to what @industrious.jenn mentioned – if I felt okay about getting her a new faceup (and washing that $70 that I paid for her current one down the drain, lol) it's possible I might be able to transform her enough to fit my new vision for the character.

It's also possible I've just outgrown Shushu. My tastes and inspirations have evolved drastically in the 6 years since I got her. The thing that I regret is that if it is indeed time to move on from her, she holds far too much sentimental value for me to let her go. So I feel a bit stuck with a sculpt that is probably not what I would have chosen now. In time, I might come to feel she can still fit the character, or I might not. I guess we'll see what happens.

10. Absolutely don't regret the first. The other one, a little.

11. I definitely regret the first. She was a Doll Chateau Agatha and while I LOVE the sculpt, the body and the posing, and clothing was NOT for me. She was hard to clothe, I hadn't learned to do faceups yet, and in general I was going for a concept that I lost interest in within the first year of owning her.

12. I got my first bjd when I was about 15, and because of my lack of finances and living in the middle of nowhere, never did anything with her.
      I was debating selling her this year, but instead I got more involved in the hobby and bought her some more resin friends. No regret at all!

13. Way to many I regretted for several reasons. Wasn't like photos, to tight, to loose, to heavy, to expensive, poorly designed and just not what I thought it would be like. After 16 years I am getting better about doing research and better knowing the doll before I buy. But there are always those that after everything I just don't bond with. I also have sold to many that I regretted as they later were rebought for a larger sum.

14. No, I don´t. I bought my first (2nd hand) BJD in early summer and waiting for her return from new faceup for 2 month now.
      She´s a Little Owl from Popovy and I´m happy to have dived into getting her, can´t stop looking at her pictures and am also waiting for my Peewit directly preordered from the Sisters. I wanted one of these dolls for years and bought the Little Owl 2nd hand to see how it feels to actually have one. I enjoyed it very much so far, even when my dolls are not with me right now.
      So I´ll have one that´s completely new and just mine and only mine...and the "test" one. :cool:

15. Kinda? My first bjd was a 1/6 scale blind box doll because it was on the smaller scale and not that expensive compared to most dolls. It was more like a test doll to see if I'd like BJDs since I'd only considered dollfie dreams for the longest time. But after seeing how beautiful anime style BJDs were, I wanted to give them a try.

And my first doll sparked my love for BJDs. Sadly, it's been almost two years and honestly, i don't really care for them anymore. They're just sitting on a shelf without clothes or a faceup as I've prioritized other dolls. I might sell it one day as they should go to a loving home, but I'm also wondering if after getting it painted and in a wig and clothes, I'll feel different about them.

16. The doll I bought first was Apple Souldoll but arrived second after my Notdoll Lab Aletheia, so I was disappointed one because compared to Aletheia couldn't have a chance and second because I thought her face was different, after many years and much contemplating I figured it was the face up that bothered me and not specifically the doll. Still is not a perfect love and her fate is to be decided but it's not a regret either as I played this doll more than others.

17. I don't really regret my first doll because it helped me learn what I did and didn't enjoy in dolls. I did sell it, though, because I realised I could have way better posing and size for a lot better price to quality ratio. I do wish I had read an honest review on minifee posing before getting one, though :sweat

18. Yes and no for me! At the time I bought her a couple years ago, I wasn't able to invest a lot of time and money into my Feeple60 Cygne so she's been vibing in whatever wig/clothes I have on hand. I go back and forth on selling her but I think now that I can do more with her, I'll be able to appreciate her more!

19. My first official doll I received was a Dream Valley Abu which I bought in-stock while I was waiting for my WithDoll Aiden. It was during an event on Denver Doll and I got a DV Jack as a free random. I'm not much into pet dolls and buying it was impulsive, I was having a hard time dealing with the anxiety waiting for my first doll. It did help having Abu to practice painting and Jack is a cute little gremlin. I do wish I spent my money a bit better, but they've served to remind me not to buy dolls impatiently. So a bit of regret, but not without its upside.

20. My first doll is my Harucasting XO. I don't regret buying her but I honestly have no idea what to do with her style-wise. I was just so excited to get a doll that I didn't really think past getting her. Currently, I don't regret any dolls but I've noticed when I buy a doll on impulse I sell it within a few months.