1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Relationships with your used dolls

Jun 30, 2010

1. I have dolls I bought new and second (or third) hand and I love them all the same. On the occasions that I didn't "bond" with a doll, it has been because when I saw it in person, I realized that I didn't like it as well as I thought I would by only seeing it in photos. When I sell decide to sell a doll, I detach myself from it and no longer think of it as belonging to me, so it goes to the new owner without any strings attached.

2. I only have one doll and one floating head I got secondhand, and only the head came from the MP, blank and never used. I had problems bonding with the one from Closet Child only because I bought him without a character in mind, not because he was used. However, in both cases there were no owner pics of the doll around, and they were either blank or default. There were no real marks of the other owners on them. I don't think I'd be unable to bond with a secondhand doll, but I might be mildly weirded out by evidence of him having been somebody else's and somebody else's character.

3. My only doll is second hand and I love him! I know the previous owners didn't use either his head and his body much, but even if they had, I don't think it would bother me. He's my boy! :3 I have a company doll on the way, and I'm certain I won't end up loving him more just because I am his first owner. Don't worry to much, it's your doll to love! The doll ended up in your possession for a reason so don't be afraid to make it your own!

4. I've never had problems bonding with a second hand doll. When they come to me they are no longer their previous owners', and they become the shells for my own characters. Also, when you get your doll and start changing things around like wig, eyes, clothing style, etc that can help make it feel more your own.

5. My two most beloved bjd's are second-hand, so I can vouch for the fact that you can love a 'used' doll just as much as one you bought new. :) That being said, I will say that buying a doll used and buying a doll new are two different experiences, and each have their own merits.

6. I haven't had the experience of buying a second-hand doll yet, but some of the ones I want I couldn't get it any other way. But when I finally buy them, they'll be mine, no matter where have the been, or who owned them before, and I'll like them as much as I like my first-hand ones. It makes no difference to me.

7. All of the dolls that I have and love dearly are second hand. I just sold two dolls I bought new from the companies and did not find 'fit' me on arrival.

But I have to raise a point here that was touched upon by Linakauno in post #21:

I bought a dream doll and paid dearly for her a few years back. The owner did not "cut the strings", as it were. She stayed in touch and offered advice about the doll. It was all very friendly and I liked her as a person, but I never felt the doll was entirely mine. It seemed as though I was a co-owner and it put me off. Eventually I sold the doll and the member sent me a last PM voicing her disappointment and then vanished.

So I would have to say to anyone buying or selling to be cautious of this potential problem.

8. Most of my dolls are secondhand save a scattered few and I adore them all as much as I do the ones I got straight from the company. In fact, I prefer second hand dolls to fresh company ones when I have the luxury of being able to find them. I like rehoming dolls that are on my want list. Even more than that, I like the flexible terms and the fact that second hand sellers already have the doll in their possession.

I never had issues bonding with second hand dolls, in fact out of my collection, only four are even from the company. ^_^

9. I would have to agree with a lot of what everyone is say. It doesn't matter if it's first or second hand but what you do with them and how you truly feel about them being projected on to them. I only have one bjd and for being my first I was so excited to get her! Needless to say I haven't bonded with her because after all that waiting she wasn't what I expected, what I asked for, what I wanted. But I'm slowly getting her there into making her what I wanted. You can easily do the same just keep the negative thoughts at bay.

10. ONe of my very favorite dolls came to me from the Marketplace instead of a company. I love her to bits! I don't think it makes much of a difference to one's ability to become attached, as when a doll comes to you it can be wiped blank and you create a new experience.

11. Both of my dolls are second hand. i never had a problem with that. as soon as i got them home and into their new clothes, eyes, and wigs they were who i brought them home to be.

12. Most of my dolls are bought second hand, honestly. I like to give new homes to dolls and/or find molds that are limited that I didn't get to snatch up! Which is most of the doll molds I like xD

For me, I love them no less than the dolls I bought first hand. Two of my 'favorites' are both second hand dolls I bought impulsively and love them to death. The reason most of my dolls have come to me second hand is because the owner could not bond, so maybe think of it that way if you are worried about them not "liking" you. You're giving the doll something the last owner couldn't.

I've sold dolls as well, and they seem much happier with new owners. Sometimes dolls never click to me and I think they do better off somewhere else, and I've been happy with my sales, as well.

I wouldn't worry near as much :) It's your dream doll, after all~!

13. well I think none of my dolls - new or preowned, has the ability to ignore people

For me it really does not matter if the doll is new or preowned.

My most beloved came to me preowned because he is a LE model and I got into the hobby 1.5 years after he was released.

14. i have 2 dolls right now, one straight from the company and one second hand. it doesn't really make much difference to me, except that the second hand one is a hybrid, so there's some problems with the resin match, which really, isn't the fault of him being second hand. frankly, they're just more used, and maybe a bit yellowed? but it depends on how you got the doll, and from who. some of them are kept in very good conditions and are as good as new.

and technically, they cant love you back, since they're inanimate. but i don't treat them differently just because one is second hand. ^^

15. Most of my dolls are second-hand dolls[save for two] and I love them more than the ones that came straight from the companies. I love buying second-hand dolls to be honest, cause those I bought have face-ups by their previous owners/customizers, it makes them OOAK ;3 And you dont have to wait for [longish] producing times from companies and shipping fees arent killer XD

There's also the advantage of being able to talk to seller and negotiating with them, maybe about the prices, items the doll comes with, etc. And I love it when I dressed/wigged/eyed them, and they fully become 'mine'. :]

16. I got a Luts Chiwoo 2nd/3rd hand. (2nd owner of body and 3rd of the head.) And I love him to peices! Just as much as I love my BBB Apollo who I got right from Bobobie!

I think if its a doll you REALLY want you will love it!

17. I do not think about which of my dolls I bought used and which I bought new when I look at them. One has some mild problems with the resin colour because it was slightly yellowed and someone sanded it (I fixed it a bit but could not get it to look perfect), but I do not look at him and think "Ah, I bought him used!"
      Aside from the one, none of the others look any more used or abused than the ones I bought new. If the use doll came in very good condition or if it was fixed up very well after being purchased, I don't see why feelings toward it should be any different than I doll bought brand new. A new doll is going to be made into what the owner wants with a wig, eyes, faceup, clothing etc. and I used doll will be made into what the owner wants in just the same way.

18. My relationship with my second hand dolls is no different than with my first hand ones since they're dolls =/ I really don't get the way 'bonding' seems to have come to describe some emotional relationship that some seem to think hunks of pretty plastic can reciprocate, I've always interpreted saying you haven't 'bonded' with a dolls as being a polite way of saying you either didn't like it when it arrived or you've had a change of heart about it.

Most of my second hand dolls are limiteds or hard to get hold of so really buying second hand was my only option. Buying second hand has it's advantages and disadvantages of course, you run the risk of undisclosed damage or inflated prices but there's no month long+ waits and so on but really there's no inherent difference between the two.

19. It's an even split for me, three of my dolls are new to me and three are adopted, but I don't think of them any differently at all. It's definitely about what you do with the dolls that counts, I don't try to keep up a character that the doll had previously and I probably wouldn't want to adopt a well-known doll, because when I bring a doll home it's what they represent in my storyline that matters most :)

20. I had to buy both my Hounds second-hand as they weren't in production by the time I came to the hobby. I am selling my first one as he just doesn't get the attention the second one does. This has nothing to do with either of them being pre-owned. I am in fact the third (that I know of) owner of the second one. I think it's fine to 'adopt' dolls, especially if there's one you fall in love with on the marketplace. Doesn't affect me at all.