1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing parts to get clothes on?

Jan 18, 2007

1. I have no problem taking the head off, so I can get/make shirts with small neck openings *3* I don't mind snaps, though. My problem now is getting tight sleeves on... I'm kind of afraid to take off the hands (it seems a lot harder than taking off the head...)

2. I don't mind snaps at all. I did take off Edan's hand to get his bracelet on though...

3. I sew my cloths write On Ransum, I make shure they will come off and put back on with out having to take him apart, However one time after spending a few hours on a red fux silk robe The sleave was stuck in his hands...I had to cut his hand free. :( i didn't want to risk breaking a finger. I was very upset I had a few choice words that day,

4. I really prefer clothes that are easy to get on, and if that means snaps, and velcro, then Im for it. Velcro down the back of a shirt is a great idea!

I don't like removing parts of my dolls. I think its just too much wear and tear on them and Im afraid of chipping or smearing their face-ups.

5. So far I have not had to remove body parts to get jewelry and clothes on. I have old body CP dolls. So that would be a pain. They do go thru interesting yoga poses though to get some t shirts on.

6. I don't mind taking off Azure's hands (love that one-touch system), but I refuse to take off his head. His hair hides the fastenings, so what does it matter? I prefer snaps to velcro because of the hair thing, but I don't want to have a lot of hassle when I dress/undress him. It's bad enough when I have to take off his default wig, so I'm not about to take off his head.

7. Like most people have said.. gotta love the one-touch system. :D
      Also I don't mind removing the head, so Vin can have anything on him actually.

I don't know how it will be with my Chiwoo though, as I don't have the body for him and such.. huh.
      I'll just try that thing out when my friend get's her El so I can kidnap his body and see how I like it. Hah.

8. I take off my boys head, but not my girl as she was before the one touch so all of her stuff has snaps (NO VELCRO!!) or comes up over her feet.
      but I love that I can have so much realness with his clothes,as far as the neckline, I haven't had to ever remove hands to put something on.

9. I don't dare to take her head off, I didn't even think of it. It's really creepy, I think when I make the S-hook lose she would fall into pieces. :o
      Also my girl looks embarrassed enough when she is naked because I want to change her clothes or make clothes for her.
      How would she feel when I take her head off?! :atremblin

I like little buttons very much, I don't mind it at all.

10. I don't think I'd like to take apart my doll to put on clothing. Her head doesn't come off unless I unhook it, and I don't really want to do that to put on clothes. Plus, I'm new to doll ownership, and wouldn't want to mess my Angela up by accident.

11. I may try (somewhat) to avoid taking Al's head off (he's a Kid Delf with his S-hook attached to his headcap) but I'm perfectly willing to for a good outfit! The other two are both magnetic headcaps and Rom has one-touch hands a feet, so they're even easier and I do it all the time! Sometimes even if it's not necessary, just to avoid rubbing their faces as much as possible >.< In fact, from that standpoint, I'd say head removal for dressing is actually a better idea for preserving faceups!

12. can anyone tell me how to remove the head from my doll? I need to take it off, but dont know how... noob question, i know, but this is my first BJD and i dont want to break her or ruin the tension in her strings. Shes perfectly strung right now.

13. It depends on what kind you have.. on most, I think you just take off the head cap and turn the S-hook so you can get it out through the bottom of the head. All you have to do is make sure the elastic doesn't get sucked down into the neck. XD;;

14. I personally don't like handling body parts any more than necessary just to get clothes on. So I guess that puts me in the category of doll owners who prefers snaps, buttons etc instead. As a sewer I'm using more fabrics with a little lycra content to help with ease of fitting.

15. thanks nk-chan! I will have to check that out when I get home. I have an Impldoll Imp Child, and i have seen the s hook when i changed out her eyes. does the front (face side) of the head just slide off to? My head cap is magnetic...I jus tneed to take it off to send out for faceup.

On topic though, i dont think that i would want to remove the head everytime to put clothing on. I like snaps, buttons, ect.. I think that they give the clothing a bit of interest and it makes me more careful of handling my doll.

16. Overall, I prefer realism in clothing but there are some dolls of mine where head removal is such a mission it's just so not worth it and they will have hidden zips and snaps instead! I don't need flesh wounds just to change their outfits!

THAT SAID...I take off hands and feet to get on tight stuff all the time, that doesn't bother me in the slightest and I actually went as far as buying fist hands for four of my dolls so I could dress them with ease.

17. I much prefer clothes that look as real as possible, so if I have to take a doll's head off then it's fine with me. I only have one doll who is a real hassle to take the head off of, but she doesn't wear much that would require head removal anyway.

18. Interesting thread. I'm a sewer, so I make clothes for my dolls both ways-back and wrist closures and garments where you might have to take the head or hands off. Heads are actually easier for me than hands-grab the crochet hook, snag the s-hook or ring, twist it and you're done. But I also do my own face-ups, so I'm not traumatized at the prospect of wearing one down. All my dolls have s-hook hands, so that's a bit more complicated, but I'll remove them as well to get the look I want in the garment.

Victorian womens' gowns are the tricky part for me. I did one with tight lower arms where I velcroed it and wasn't happy with the way it looked. But hooks didn't seem to look good either, so I ended by making a small opening at the wrist and taking the hands off. Since then, I've worked out tiny button/loop closure, but I've not tried it yet. It will probably look great, but be extremely fiddly to put on.

19. I've never had to remove a head. I think that would be too much work for an outfit. I'd rather the outfit just had snaps or something. For one outfit, I had to take a hand off, but that wasn't a big deal for me because the hand was just attached with a magnet. Something more complicated like a head...eh. If it's a T-shirt or something, I can understand not wanting to put an opening in the back, but I would at least want it stretchy enough such that I wouldn't have to remove the head.

20. I really hate having to take my boys' heads off to get their clothes on, and I'm also really "against" snaps and velcro up the back; it's much more realistic to havce a whole shirt. As such, a lot of their clothes are either button-up-the-front kinds of shirts or they're easy enough to slip on over their heads. Since they wear dressy-ish clothes a lot, anyway, I don't mind all the buttons, as long as they're in front.