1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing parts to get clothes on?

Jan 18, 2007

1. I have to remove Rowena's hands to get the sleeves of her shift, or underdress, on and off, but since I only take that off her to repaint her, it's not a problem. That dress goes under all of her outfits, so the sleeves are very fitted, but I don't mind it.

2. It depends what I'm removing lol I don't mind removing hands and heads because its easy ^^ Especially on a littlefee ^^ But last night I was getting clothes on my daisydayes hooved pukipuki and I had to removed the hooves and it was a nightmare! It was fiddley and long winded and really frustrated me so now I'm thinking I wont remove the clothes until I've brought her some of those special pants Spampy makes for hooved tinys as the only time I wanna remove them again is to remove the pants...though I'm tempted to cut them off >.>

so I happy to remove doll parts but there is a limit for me ^^

3. It depends on the doll. For some of my dolls removing their heads only take a few seconds, slip on the clothing and then pop the head right back on. For some of my other dolls however, like my DoCs, removing their heads is a nightmare given the way they are constructed and I avoid it at all costs.

Even so, for all my dolls I still prefer their clothing to look as realistic as possible-so no velcro or snaps in the back for me. They just look so "doll-like" and aren't very beautiful to me, and I prefer my dolls to look as realistic as possible. So instead I opt for clothing that buttons or ties down, and given that my dolls are not from a modern setting, a few wide-knecked tops can still work for them as well.

I won't take off hands however to get on a top, but as I've never run into that problem it's never occured to me. For my boy with hooves, I won't remove his hooves to put on his shorts either. I personally figure, if I am trying to make him as realistic as possible, if he were a real creature he would most likely have difficulties in getting on shorts and pants as well, and he wouldn't have the luxury of just popping his feet off. So instead I have to design bottoms (I find ties on the sides, or very short shorts usually work) that would fit over his hooves as if he were a real person.

4. I'm one of those who would grossly *prefer* to not have to take off my doll's head to get a shirt on. And the reason, mostly, is because fixing their hair afterwards can be time-consuming! I do it on a regular basis, though, despite this. :sweat
      Hands, however, are no problem. Most of the fitted dress shirts I put my boys in require the removal of their hands.

5. Do you have a problem with disassembleing your doll to get it's clothes on? :P Why/Why not?
      Not usually because in fact I do not do it (Take parts off to put clothes on) generally. Although having to take some part/s off bothers me a bit, but not too much (It all depends on part/s and clothes we talk about), I rather snaps, velcro, buttons, ribbons, zipper,... even along all the back than having to take off any of the parts (Heads, hands,...). In my way of doing BJD go before than how realistic clothes may look and I think a good way to take care of their make ups, for instance, is not changing their heads too often. However, I understand sometimes taking some part/s off to put them some kinds of BJD clothes on is unavoidable.

6. I absolutely refuse to buy clothes that require parts removal. I do not like to be inconvenienced and have to go through the trouble of removing a head and potentially dirtying it in the process. I try to avoid handling my dolls as much as possible, to be honest. And for the money I pay for these clothes, they'd better have a closure. I won't sacrifice ease for "realism."

7. id never take off head/hands/feet for clothing...id rather just alter the clothing to get it on easier...but saying that..i do take off my limhwa's faceplates when i dress them to make it easier (and stop them falling off!)

8. I won't buy any clothing that I have to take a part off to get it on.. even if it was the most gorgeous piece of clothing I have ever seen...its not worth it to me..to much hassle

I can dis-assembled a doll in minutes but the less I have to do, the better my disabled shoulders feel.

9. I absolutely love realistic-looking doll clothes. I hate doll clothes that look like doll-clothes, I despise bell-bottoms because they're an abomination, and I especially love dramatic cuffs & skintight drainpipe-trousers & narrow long sleeves & fancy collars. Limb & head removal makes dressing in fabulous clothes easy. When they're fully decked-out, seeing how perfect they look, it's worth the extra 60 seconds of effort.

Removing a head is NOT rocket science to me! Maybe it comes with practice, ormaybe I'm just really really gifted. Uhh, yeah. :roll: Put on one cotton glove, grip the head behind the ears, & give the S-hook a twist, et voila-- no wear & tear on the faceup, and no stretching of the collar. I have a lot of LE dolls, so I already take their heads off for everything, to protect their faceups. I refuse to let their faces get rubbed.

Hands & feet are more of a hassle if it's a non-Volks doll; can require threading something through the hook while you're sleeving him. But again, I don't personally find that to be rocket science. I don't mind taking a few minutes out of my day to get the look I want.

And if it is a Volks doll, then taking his hands & feet off is even easier and faster than putting his wig on! That One-Touch system is such a godsend... all other companies in the world, take note....

10. As I don't change their clothes often, I don't really mind if I have to remove a body part to get them on. If I have to change them all the time, then that would be another story. I like how their clothing look without all the Velcro and snaps too, so if I must, I'm pulling a limb off. :lol:

11. Yes, i'm trying to sew something decent for Miyoubi but of course i don't want her to be nude in the process so I will put back her default clothes on. And before I can remove/put on the white long-sleeved top i have to remove her hands first! One time, while doing so, I lost the left hand's s-hook and i didn't find until a week or so. T-T Maybe it's because she's my first bjd?

12. I hate taking both my doll's heads off to put on clothes. The first time I took Tima's head off I couldn't get it back on! And I had a hard enough time getting Wander's head onto his body when I got him the first time so I really don't want to have a repeat performance of "ow ow my fingers"(the hit single by the bjd fandom lol).

To add they both have S-hooks so taking off hands and/or heads is a real pain(in the aforementioned fingers). For a littlefee or something with faceplates and magnetic hands then no problem but otherwise...nno.