1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Resin Best Friend or Resin Army? The pros and cons of having a few dolls vs tons

Apr 21, 2011

1. I thought the intention was to gauge our answers to a hypothetical scenario, but I could be wrong. It's just whenever anyone asks me if I can have A or B, I always assume it's a hypothetical scenario where only those options exist.

That said, I think I'd go for more dolls but less complete ones. :)

2. Add me to the "lots of dolls, all finished" camp. :) Reading the replies, it seems like the REAL question is: do you like changing your dolls, or are you seeking the One Perfect Look for your doll, and then leave it that way? My dolls each have One Perfect Look. Every now and then I'll give a doll a different Perfect Look, but most of the time, when I have a new idea for a doll, I buy a new doll to go with the new look.

Of my thirteen dolls (with two more on order), twelve are finished. I'm still working on the outfit for the thirteenth (and her head is out getting faceup-ed too). Each of my dolls has their own display place in the house, with props. My next goal (after dress #15) is to start finishing sets or niches for each doll. I guess I see my collection as a sort of moving sculpture on display, rather than a toy to play with or a best friend to interact with. :)

As for carrying them around, I have different favorites at different times, so that's rarely an issue. Whoever is the favorite at the moment, that's the doll I take with me (I bring a doll to D&D, and with me when I babysit my sister's kids). The one time that it's an issue is that I really really really want to show all my dolls to my Other Mother, but I can't bring more than two with me when I fly out to visit her.

If I really HAD to choose between lots of unfinished or a few finished, I would go for "a few, finished." But I'm old, am good at saving money, and have a whole house to fill, so I don't feel that I ever will really NEED to make that choice. :P

3. I currently have 3, but am planning a 4th. I'll probably stop there. For me it isn't needing the few perfect dolls or not being able to take care of an army, but more on the line that I'm just not a collector of things. When I get too much of something it becomes overwhelming to me and I get a desire to get rid of the whole lot of whatever it is. This is the first hobby that I've found I can really enjoy, so I'd rather not get to that point with my dolls.

4. RESIN ARMY

I have a lot of dolls and they all have nice clothes and an abundance of choices for wigs, eyes, shoes. This is my hobby in a big way. What they don't have, yet, is a decent place to hang out. My husband is going to build me a cabinet once I stop being lazy and design something. I'm thinking of something tall with the bottom half being drawers and compartments for clothes and other stuff, and the top being a combination of shelves for sofas and chairs, a tall vertical section on the side for a few dolls to stand, and one area on top of the drawers where I can make a modernist room with living room and bed.

5. Why can't I answer "all of the above, plus more"? I have lots of dolls. Some are complete, some are waiting for finalized outfits or face ups. All of them are loved!

I can completely understand wanting to have a minimal collection. But it shouldn't be an all or nothing deal.

6. Yeah, I'm with JennyNemesis on this one. I have 11 dolls. Each one has a well defined character...multiple outfits, shoes and wigs...the perfect eyes and faceup...their very own elaborate display room to live in...and each one travels with me from time to time. Their story is that they're part of an ecclectic and diverse inner-city neighborhood that is somewhat of a fantasy/fairytale world. I love them all as individuals and interact with them all on a regular basis. We're all just one big happy family around here.:)

7. You're kinder in your assumptions than I am. >_>
      Given the entire tone of the original post, it looks just a bit too much like the OP is gunning more for a confirmation of her own biases than any sort of hypothetical "what if".

Also, I've gotten very, very weary of the whole "OMG! If you have more than X number of dolls, you can't POSSIBLY love them/dress them well/treat them like super-special-rainbow-kittens"-thing. It's a load of bull and I'm tired of seeing it hauled out like clockwork every time someone with a small collection wants to feel somehow superior.

Sorry to be so blunt about it, but that particular line of thought really does get on my nerves. I'm fairly proud of having one of the larger collections that isn't... in any way, shape or form... neglected or incomplete.

8. I consider a doll finished when it is finally painted, has the perfect set of eyes, a special default wig, and is on the proper body. But, just because I consider the doll finished does not mean the buying for the doll stops. Most of mine have very extensive wardrobes because I like having a lot of different clothing options. Some dolls have a huge wig haul because I am more ok with switching up their look and some have multiple pairs of really expensive eyes.

Consider me another person who has a decent sized collection with 11 who are all finished or closed to be being finished. They all have stuff, though some have more stuff because I feel more inclined to buy them things. They all receive attention though some receive more because I do have favourites. They're all dolls. They don't need stuff or attention if I don't feel like it.

I would be incredibly bored with only a couple of dolls because it means I wouldn't have much variety in my collection by way of characters and personality. I simply cannot do the whole thing where a doll completely changes its look all of the time. And when I get bored with things, I sell them.

9. I've probably mentioned this before, but I think your collection is phenomenal Brightfires! (I'd love to see them all)

I've always been in the 'collector' camp with this hobby, because I've collecting dolls all my life- and I usually get up around 20 or 30 of whichever type of doll it is, because I like having the option of completely different features and faces, and body types.

I currently have 9 full dolls, and all of them are dressed with wigs. None of them are 'finished'; I change my dolls' faceups/clothes constantly, and sometimes even their eyes and wigs if I want a new look for them- that's part of how I 'play' with my collection, which is going to grow for as long as I like- finished or not.

When it comes to stuff, I much prefer to make most of it myself which saves me money in the long haul and lets me spend more on getting new resin. That said, there doesn't have to be a compromise, I just enjoy making junk. ;)

10. Resin Army without a doubt. I do have my individual favorites, but I can't bear to part with any of them and my collection's still incomplete. All of my dolls are "finished" (complete face-up, character-defining outfit, perfect eyes, wig, etc), but there's always room for more tweaking like a forever growing wardrobe, new face-ups after I get tired of the old ones, etc. None of them are in a "static" state of being; I'll always be slowly changing them but it doesn't mean that they're unfinished.

11. That is the way I instantly thought of the question upon first glance, too. I think some people are taking a bit too much of an offense to a hypothetical question. :sweat Really guys, no one needs to 'defend' how they collect or play with dolls. You're not being attacked, you're being asked a hypothetical question. Let's try and have some fun with it?

If we're playing this game as either one answer or the other, I'd prefer less dolls with more accessories. But that's because I only do minimal things with them, meaning I don't have any need to have like seven dolls in one photostory like some people do. I imagine it is a lot of fun though, I wish I could manage it but I know that sort of thing just isn't for me. I've done that before with other dolls. Big doll families just aren't my thing, as much as I love them. Just the one, two or three (maybe four) is all I could realistically play with at once and I like to play with all my dolls at the same time. :)

I've been like that ever since I was a little girl. For some reason I've always felt sad when I couldn't play with them all together at once. I remember the times my family and I would be traveling when I was a child and I was only allowed to bring one or two of my dolls and everyone else had to stay home. That wasn't as much fun.

I don't think I could even manage to pose more than four and keep them all from nosediving at the same time! :lol: I also can't really think of any times where I'd have my dolls 'interacting' with each other that would require very many dolls.

12. I don't think anyone is trying to imply anyone is more awesome than anyone based on how many dolls/accessories/completed dolls they have or want to have.

I would rather have the resin army because I don't enjoy having a lot of clothes/accessories/etc for my doll. He represents a character, and that character has a 'default look'. It will be the same for the rest of them- though I may get a few more outfits later on in the future. More important to me, however, is the doll itself. You don't have to have incomplete dolls as you go up higher in numbers- lack of accessories doesn't mean a doll is unfinished or less loved.

If you make plans to complete a doll (wig, faceup, clothes, any accessory you may need), and estimate properly, you can get a full, completed doll in one go.

Shelling my characters is what makes me happy. I don't think anyone should be judged for wanting 1 doll or 100 dolls. If you can afford it, want it, and work for it, by all means, do what makes you happy as long as it's not hurting anyone else.

13. Im going for a army! I have 16 now, selling one, and 5 in process (of shipping/paying) the next few months, and I still feel like I could go for 10 or so more. :) I enjoy every single one of these dolls so much, and even if I cant afford outfits for them all or meet all their needs, I find more pleasure in it than pain. I`ve learned that Im not a collector, I dont collect every doll I love and want, but only buy the ones that fit characters of mine. Those are the ones that stay and is loved, and perfected.
      I even have time for a individual doll, seeking perfection of that character. So far Im very pleased with my little army. And I can still improve them more if I dare. Its a fun challenge, polishing several dolls to fit to my image.

14. This.
      I've also been faced with this too, and actually have people called me straight out a horrible person who just buys tons of dolls and doesn't enjoy them. My dolls are never going to be finished for me, my dolls are just my dollies. Similar to a little girl who just likes to dress them up, but instead of playing with them, I take photos. My doll doesn't need to be done, and I'm constantly changing so they couldn't be even if I wanted them to be. My "complete" dolls are usually the ones that I end up getting bored with and selling! I feed off the new faces and the new ideas. it's not the superficial excitement of getting a new doll, it's the ability to have a fresh canvas to work with, and I think that's where a lot of people get me, and possibly others who have/buy a lot of dolls, very wrong.

15. Honestly, I wish I had less dolls and more stuff...however! I actually have a lot of dolls, and a lot of stuff for them. It's my only hobby. Some things I make, some I buy, and each has a wig, and eyes, and I have extras of both. Clothing out the butt too but they all have to share.

Pro: I have a ton of dolls to choose from.
      Con: Depending on the doll, it varies to what they can wear. A lot share, but Lucas, and my on layaway Ender, they currently have one outfit. Literally ONE between them both. No shoes. But that won't be a problem as I will be buying them clothing and shoes soon.

Con: Also taking them places...one or two tops...the SD sized. MSD and tiny sized...easier...
      pro: So many to pick from!

16. ;w; The first post on this thread makes me kind of sad--and I echo others' sentiments that it's not impossible to have many finished dolls. I'm not going to shy away from saying that all my dolls are going to represent characters. Yes, there may be 50 resin shells floating around, or more. But, whenever I get a doll I include the price of the faceup, wig, clothes, eyes, and other things in with it. That way the doll is complete before he/she ever gets here! Echoing others' sentiments, if you budget right it is possible. Maybe it'll take longer to save, but it is possible. Why have either or when you can have both?

17. Is there a third answer to this? I fully intend on having many dolls, because all of my characters DO need resin shells. XD That's what first got me into this hobby, anyways. Instead of "having few with more accessories" or "having a lot with very little accessories", I'm getting them one at a time and finishing them before I run off and buy my next. :D

18. I skew a bit on the lower number of dolls, though if I had a real job and more money, I'd probably spend it on more dolls and clothes/wigs/eyes for those dolls.

I don't really like floating heads and naked dolls so I have to have clothes for them.

Though the longer I stay in this hobby, the pickier I get about sculpts (I'm like that in most things at first everything amazes me but the more I learn the more I whittle it down to what I really really want) so I don't think I'd ever have a particularly large resin army of doom in like the 20+ range. Though I presently can't imagine myself with more than 10 dolls even if I had the money.

19. *raises hand* Another one with a growing resin army - currently 14 complete dolls, plus a head who has a body incoming. All dolls have multiple outfits and accessories, and I'm making more all the time (including eyes, wigs and shoes to my own designs) - so they're never going to want for anything, really. And I have further dolls planned.

My collection will be as large as I want it to be, and all my dolls will be complete with clothing and accessories to spare. I have no problems handling a large collection.

20. I think I'm on the resin best friends route. I have one upcoming and 5 planned future dolls and 3 of them are triplets. But I much rather have fewer dolls and more stuff for each. I feel that have more than 10 makes you choose which one to give attention unconsciously, and I don't want to play favorites with them.