1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Resin match up, how important is it to you?

Nov 27, 2016

1. Unless we're talking about a doll who is supposed to be mismatched, I'd say I'm pickier then I like to admit. Before I gave her to my girlfriend I had a Doll chateau tiny who was the new and old pink skin, so her head was paler than her body, not by much though. Drove me absolutely insane. Another hybrid I had, before I dyed her, was white skin but her head was just a bit more cream colored than her body. This was acceptable. I guess if they can't be a perfect match the head has to be a little darker/saturated for me or I can't handle it :XD:

2. I think, as long as it's close, it could possibly be disguised with clothing or maybe even a little blushing/dying. High collars, scarves, chokers, long sleeves, knitted cuffs, bracelets, tats, etc. can be used to great effect to disguise resin that maybe doesn't quite match.

I have a little 'project' in mind, to get a Dollshe Saint head and a cheaper body (to cut that £600-650 price-tag). As long as body and head resin colours are as close as they can be without quite matching, I can disguise the differences with accessories and long sleeves.

3. I depends on just how much the difference stands out. I find that when I watch people do face ups and they make the head lighter than the body it really bugs me. That being said, I think that so as long as I can correct the mismatch to where it appears then I can live with knowing that it's mismatched. XD

4. If the difference is mild I can live with it. I mean if you were to be realistic, a lot of people's faces are not exactly the same shade as the rest of them.

And my face-up style has a lot of skin texture and tones so as long as I can make it work with my style, I am fine.

lol I like hybriding too much to be picky.

5. I'm not that picky. I would prefer the body to be darker than the head though since you can easily darken the color with a face-up. Most of my characters wear long sleeved clothes too.

6. It doesn't bother me. I have a head that after face-up looked different from the body it come with lol As long the difference if not that big, a little lighter or darker, on human characters I'm cool with it and don't even bother with body blushing. And I'm great with big differences on non-human characters.

7. So I have seen quiete a few people with hybrid dolls. I.e a head from one company and body from another.
      I was wondering, if the skin doesn't match accurately, does it bug you? I know everyone's different. But I'm thinking of getting a DD head on a resin body. The body I want may be a few shades off, not too much. But I'm wondering does it bug YOU that much? I'm not putting a normal skin head on a tan body or anything, but I find that with just a few shades off, it isn't too big a deal. Just wanted to get some feed back.

8. it's fairly common yes! I can see the benefits that come with it, e.g. when a company the head comes from doesn't offer the kind of body type you want, or price considerations - but I personally wouldn't ever hybrid unless I really had to (for example, if a company only does head sculpts and have no bodies for sale), not even if there are companies that do resin matching (like DF-A). I might be in the minority opinion here.

I'm not a veteran when it comes to bjds, but here are my two cents: it bothers me a lot when shades are off. like you mentioned, sometimes shades can be slightly, slightly off, but even if there are options like resin matching, I worry that the resin from the head and body might yellow differently over time, and that is something no one can predict. :shudder I don't want to end up feeling unhappy with the money I spent on a different body years down the road, and then also end up not being able to find a body from the same company with the same amount of yellowing as the head. (some people solve the issue of slightly different shades by blushing the head to match the body, but I also wonder if it's a short-term solution to things.)

9. There's probably already a thread about this same topic, somewhere on here. I don't recall if I ever posted on any, but I don't mind if the plastic matches a hundred percent on any of my hybrids. Not just these dolls, but any hybrid doll I own. I can always paint whichever part to match, if it bothers me too much, but most of the time I don't mind. My first doll of this kind was a Volks Dollfie Dream I body, with a CP/Luts VDES head sculpt. The color wasn't way off, but because the head is resin and the body is parts vinyl, parts ABS/PVC and other plastics, they don't always photograph exactly the same (time will also make one of them age differently due to the nature of the plastic and pigments used to make it). Regardless, I don't mind it. I can always "fix it," if it does bother me at any point. (:

10. I have 2 doll heads that do not match their bodies. One is a hybrid and the other is from a different batch a year after. It DOES bug me a lot but the only solution would be to buy a ton of bodies and hope one matches, which is not a cost efficient solution.

I would never ever make a resin/vinyl hybrid. In my experience, vinyl does not yellow. Some people will fight me on this claim though. The hands I got for my 2014 DDS girl last month new from VolksUSA match her perfectly despite her being on display the entire time. Resin will yellow no matter what, so the pieces will match less and less with each year.

Also keep in mind resin between two companies will yellow differently. I believe my Migidoll/Iplehouse hybrid had a much closer match when I first received him 12 years ago but time hasn't hit both resins equally.

11. I'm probably going to need to hybrid for a character i want to have a doll for in the future, but as long as the head and the body are in the same range and tone (like both a yellow ns or a pink ns instead of one yellow and one pink for example) I'm not too worried about them not matching perfectly. Discrepancies can be made up with some blushing and they'll be clothed anyway. But I also don't take my dolls down and play with them or move them around a lot, so mine would have less risk of body blushing wearing and chipping quickly.

12. I have a lot of hybrids, but it’s because I’m very particular about size and posing of bodies. I have a pretty high tolerance for resin match (most of my dolls are on the spectrum of some type of yellowy normal skin, so if they’re off from their bodies a well blushed faceup takes care of it), but if a head is really off, they can be blushed or airbrushed to match. I have a Floatworld head right now that’s really more of a milk skin than yellow who I want to put on a very pink-normal Peakswoods body, and it just adds a few extra layers of peach pigment to the faceupping process before I start on the rest of his face.

13. I do the opposite resin/vinyl hybrids (resin head, vinyl body). Neither head matches perfectly, but both match well enough that I like it.

I will also say, I have found that vinyl yellows—I have a dd2 body for one hybrid, which could be as old as 2005–her plastic skeleton/joints have yellowed considerably, and even her vinyl is a few shades off the dd3 I had in the same colour (which was from one of the first releases—Natsuki 2nd in 2012).

The heads I have on my vinyl bodies have only been on them for 1-2 years, so I can’t say much for durability of the match, but if you’re willing to redo faceups, you can blush them back to match, or wipe them, and give them a dip in some really weak dye to restore some of the lost colour (iirc it’s a little bit or pink, a tiny bit of red, and a tiny bit of yellow to get heads back to NS-ish).

14. I wouldn't put a white head on a tan body or anything like that, but for small differences I'm ok with it.
      I have an old hybrid with a Lati head on a Luts body. When both were new the match was almost perfect, like you really had to look for it in just the right light to be able to tell any difference. Over time the body has faded and is now several shades lighter and has lost most of it's red pigments, while the head hasn't changed much at all. It's still close enough that a light blushing can disguise it, but the blank parts are not a match by any way off looking at it.
      It doesn't bother me too much, it rarely shows in every day situations. The biggest difference now is that her hands have faded more than the rest of the body (she is usually diplayed fully dressed and often in long sleeves, so it makes sense for the hands to have faded more) and that is of course one of the parts most likely to be photographed close to her face, so I do pay attention to how I pose her.

15. I have a couple of heads-- one waiting on a body (missed out on getting The body last time it was offered), the other I think I need to keep on a display bust until I have more storage and display space... so I've been thinking about resin matching and what I can handle. Ultimately if the match isn't right, I want him to have a regular outfit that would cover enough that blushing the face and/or hands would take care of everything. But if my plans were for someone who dressed in more revealing clothes, it would be a much bigger deal.