1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Resin yellowing: Paranoia!

Oct 27, 2010

1. i'm in california, and i'm so worried about taking him anywhere cause i'm worried he will yellow. i always think about this before purchasing a doll. since i want to keep my dolls as long as i can.

2. :)To this day i've never kept my IH Tedros out of his box all day or taken him outside. He's a real skin doll and I've heard many stories of other people's dolls turning "green" when exposed to the sun for too long. I'm taking him to a meet up at a park next month. Hopefully we'll be in the shade that day. If not i'll have to keep him in his case instead of sitting him on the grass.

3. I'm always paranoid about my dolls yellowing much sooner than they should, which is why they stay indoors most of the time, and when i do bring them out, I try to stick to the shady areas as often as possible. XD

4. I'm perfectly willing to risk yellowing when it comes to my dolls. This because I love keeping them close to me and playing with them indoors as well as outdoors and this is probably also the most important part of the hobby for me. Since I really do love all 11 of them I don't want them to get damaged but keeping them in their boxes or keep myself from bringing them outside because they probably will yellow faster... It's just isn't worth it for me so I guess I'm quite un-paranoid when it comes to this. ^_^

5. http://www.denofangels.com/forums/s...do-Disney-Hollywood-style!-(BC-Elf-Shy-Lotti)

See those two dolls? Yeah. WS dolls outside all day at Disney World. Guess what. They aren't yellow. That was two years ago and they're still the same delicate floral white they were before. They go outside for photos and meetups all the time.

Anyone can do what they want with their dolls. But being scared to play with them or take them out of their case because you're scared they'll yellow if exposed to light is overdoing it, seriously.

6. All my dolls are out of their box all the time (i don't have their boxes anymore). Two of my dolls, I have them for more than 3 years now and there's no yellowing so far that i notice, i brought them to the parks and lake under sunlight for photoshoot. Slightly changed on skin color is a natural..nothing can stay the same after years..well yeah maybe if you keep it in vacuum bag and put it in the box, it'll stay the same..but what the fun of having dolls then....

7. I see a few of your list are from Fairyland.. my only doll is a Minifee, so I looked up the yellowing and the only pictures I found of yellowed FL dolls showed very faint, natural looking yellowing... no bright yellow or green or gross colors like that. They seem to have definitely taken yellowing into account when choosing their resin. (I can't speak for other companies, but from what I've seen in threads about yellowing it seems like it's something they're all starting to think about to some degree...) So I'm not as worried anymore, but I did get UV-protective MSC.

8. I'm paranoid of this... I keep thinking my Bory's face/nose is more yellow than the rest of his body, and I don't know if this is a trick of light or whatnot... I know he's gonna yellow faster than the rest, but at least I'd like him to be uniformly yellow..?!! *_*

9. I am slightly paranoid about yellowing, but I am paranoid about most things, so it's nothing special.

Otavi spends most of the day in his box, but mostly because there's no space in my dorm room to have him out all the time. Also, my roommate is a darling, but I'm worried that she might have someone over when I'm not around who would be too curious and decide to mess with Otavi.

I do take him out occasionally, and then flip out every time there's a shadow on him or there's a light change that makes him look yellower. :B After assuring myself it was just my imagination, I move on. XD

10. I know this might sound a bit silly... but what is it in particular that makes resin yellow? Is it ultraviolet light or even visible light? If UV is the main culprit then would it be reasonable to rub some sunscreen on the doll? I know it will probably not absorb at all but it should form a protective layer. Or will it mess up the faceup?

11. http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?3436-Resin-Yellowing-Causes-and-Protections

The oils in human sunscreen (like the oils in human makeup) would be very likely to stain your doll. Sunscreen is formulated to protect human skin, not resin.

12. I'm worried about yellowing, but honestly as long as you don't go at it with a magnifying glass or something it shouldn't be too drastic. When I take Amalia out usually it's sunny, but it shouldn't affect her too much unless I leave her out there for hours and hours. And like other ssaid, yellowing is natural, so it really can't be prevented. You will always get a little bit.

13. I tend to notice that it has alot to do, with alot of things...1) where you live. I lived in Florida, and i've lived in NYC, and of course, now i live in Oklahoma. Trust me when i say that your enviorment plays a part. When i lived in FL, my dolls yellowed so fast from exposure to the sun, that it seemed to be within a month. (and i took them outside alot too for photos) But then i moved to NY, and i bought new dolls up there. The yellowing seemed to take longer. Now i live in Oklahoma. And honestly, it seems to take a while here too.
      2) Aging. Aging is naturally going to yellow your doll significantly. There is no way around it. you could leave your doll in a box, and never open it or touch it, and then 5 years later, open it up, and it's yellow.

3) Resin type/Mixture elements. It is a well-known fact that dolls of french resin yellow much faster than most. however, i've even noticed that sometimes, dolls from the same company, purchased at the same time yellow differently. Example? I bought two shiwoo vampires, at the same time. But i noticed that one significantly yellowed more than the other, even though they went everywhere together, and got the same exposure to the outdoors. Sometimes, HOW the resin is mixed plays a part too in the yellowing process.

The bottom line is, these dolls were not meant to sit on a shelf and be pretty, and untouched. So take them out, enjoy them, and don't worry. The only thing i'd steer clear of is leaving them sitting outside for extremely long durations, in direct sunlight, or leaving them in windows, or in sunlit paths. outside of that, you should be ok.

14. How much of an effect would florescent light have versus sunlight on yellowing? I'd assume it's less, but is it still a concern to leave your doll out in strong indoor light (think bright dorm room florescent)?

Edit: I'm going to answer my own question here:

http://www.ehow.com/about_6048255_fluorescent-light-uv-rating_.html

For another source (cause I like to hear everything multiple times):)

http://thedermblog.com/2009/06/21/fluorescent-light-bulbs-and-uv-exposure/

15. I was going to ask this in the new Newbie forum, but I can't post there! I'm a newbie, really! :P

I've done some searches on the subject, but I can't find the answer to my specific questions. Here we go:

What kind of light specifically causes resin to yellow? Is it UV?

If I keep my dolls inside, but in indirect sunlight, will they yellow? Don't most modern houses have windows that block UV light? (I can't get a sunburn sitting in a sunbeam in my living room, for example.) So if UV light causes the yellowing, is a resin doll okay in sunny room in with modern UV-blocking windows?

My office at home is very sunny, and I like my dolls to sit at my desk with me, but I'm worried that I'm damaging them!

16. I thought all BJDs Yellow eventually. regardless of sunlight. Sunlight just helps it go faster I think.

17. Someone did an experiment on different kinds of resin in the sun, taking into account the age of the resin.

You can see that here. :)

Also, (and someone with more understanding can please correct me) but from what I seem to remember, windows will cut UVA rays, which are what cause sunburn, but UVB rays will still come through the glass.

And regardless of this, there has been speculation about certain kinds of light bulbs also hastening the yellowing process, which happens anyway due to oxidization (and this can also be sped up by heat).

18. I was going to ask the same question ^^
      Thank you for all the informations. This is very helpful. From what I know windows WILL cut UVA
      rays but I am sad to hear that light bulbs can also cause yellowing.

19. I heard that fluorescent light can do something to yellow resin, but don't quote me on that. I wonder if that has the same effect when they're blocked by a lampshade?

Volks is selling MSC UV-cut to help at least slow down the yellowing even more. Never tried it, so I'm only saying what I saw on their site.