1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Resin yellowing: Paranoia!

Oct 27, 2010

1. Regardless of what some people will tell you ALL bjd yellow over time. There are, however, factors that change how fast or slowly it occurs. Too much time in uv light of any kind will cause a doll to yellow much faster. There are things you can do to slow the process down, but not to completely stop it. Coating your dolls individual parts in MSC can help. Specifically uv cut. Sometimes thought, the msc itself can yellow. Lol. (I've removed the face up from "yellowed" dolls only to find that it was the MSC that was yellowed and the resin beneath was fine. :)

Keeping your dolls away from windows, and such helps a lot. Even indirect sunlight can quicken yellowing. Usually keeping the dolls as far from the wiindows as possible is the safest bet. :)

2. Thanks for the responses, folks! I appreciate the information.

3. Mister Super Clear UV cut is great (as mentioned above). I've seen a doll that changed color from being under a bulb in a case (so sad) and mine (the not-sprayed ones) have yellowed just from sitting in a bright bedroom, not in direct light, but lots of ambient light. But the UV cut ones still look quite nice. IMO it's not something to stress unduly about, especially if you are enjoying having them out and about. That is what they are for ;)

4. I keep my dolls in their boxes and have always been paranoid about yellowing, so imagine my horror when I pulled my Elf Soph out of her box not too long ago and saw how *yellowed* she was. It wasn't all that even, as she was whiter where the resin was thicker and underneath her dress. Part of it was her sealer also, which I found when I removed it. I might have a pic of the process somewhere... will post it here if I find it.

Edit: Here's the pic, but it's not all that helpful, maybe:
      [​IMG]
      Yes that's Helka, my avatar girl... she was quite new in the avatar pic. I've since repainted her to compensate for the yellowing, as I'd given her a very yellow-greenish elfy faceup & body blushing to start with.

It really gave me pause about her and about the hobby in general. I've been around for awhile and have really seen resin quality deteriorate for the most part over time since I was first aware of bjd. My oldskin Dollstown has whiter coloring than my newer Elf Soph B (Helka).

I got over it though. I once painted a French Resin Narsha for someone, that had yellowed to the color of beeswax. Painted up with the right colors she was just beautiful!

Raven

5. Having two French resin dolls (from Angell Studio) I was madly paranoid at first. But... after some time I realised that this fear robs me from the whole fun of having a doll. And after reading some threads where I found out, that my dolls will yellow no matter what I do with them, I stopped worrying so much. Of course, I don't keep them in direct sunlight, but I'm also not freaking out when we are outside for photoshoots and they are exposed to the sunrays (for about minute or so XD). I just hope they will yellow evenly...
      My oldest doll will be 1 year old this March, so I guess it's too early to state anything, but so far I didn't notice any changes of color.

6. Note to mod : if this the wrong discussion thread please move it to where it belongs to :sweat

in picture gallery i saw a thread that saying 'old doll but still pretty' (or something ....)

so i become curious and wondering ,

what do you do to your dolls that already yellowing?
      do you just put them in the box and keep them? do you ignored it and just play with the doll like usual?
      do you try to sell it ? or just throw it away?

7. I really could not care less about yellowing. It's a natural process that you can't prevent, so why tie yourself in knots over it. I do my best to minimise their contact with direct sunlight when I'm not taking photos of them, I try to make sure they yellow evenly but really, when it comes down to it, the process is inevitable so if they go, they go. Oh well.

I do have to ask tho, why in the world would you THROW AWAY a doll?! I don't care how yellowed it is, I'm not about to just sling it in the bin...although now I am curious to see if anyone ever actually did that.

MAINLY so I can go and rifle through their bins to find the resin they slung out, clean it up and rescue it.

8. I recently bought two Planetdoll girls on the MP, and one is older and considerably more yellow (clearly stated in sales thread btw). Once she has a new face-up, and new clothes that will cover most of her, I don't view it as a problem?! She is still a lovely little girl... I hate to think of someone thinking she should be thrown away!!

9. So what if they yellow. I try to keep my dolls out of the direct sunlight but they will yellow over time no matter what. My two oldest dolls will be 6 this year and they are not all non yellowed anymore but I love them anyway. I will just enjoy my dolls and all and as long as they don't turn to dust I don't mind them ageing but I will do what I can to keep them out of sun and clean as long as I can.

10. I also bought an older doll (and another on the way) that was yellowed. She doesn't look bad. I did wipe the faceup (MSC yellows) but once she has a new faceup and body blushing, she will look fine. (She is white skinned so it is noticeable that she is yellowed but not too bad.....on a normal skin doll it is less noticeable.)

The only thing I am wary of is bringing in normal pink skin dolls as they might make her look more yellow, so I am going to try to avoid that.

11. I noticed this morning that my first doll is definitely mellowing out a bit. I wouldn't say he was yellowed, not exactly. He's definitely darker, though, and it shocked me just a smidge to notice it. But then I realized I didn't mind. It's a natural thing and I've protected him as well as I can being that I want him out all the time. Yellowing is just a natural process and something I've known since joining the hobby. When I first read about it, I was sort of horrified, not going to lie. But then I thought on it for a long time and, being that I now own several dolls, I guess I came to the conclusion that I love these dolls enough to buy them despite that. So, I'm hoping that whether they yellow or green or what have you, that I'll still love them because I knew what I was getting into. :D

12. I actually have DDs so they don't yellow, but on one of my dolls the previous owner damaged her internal skeleton so it has yellowed.

I don't mind it at all and I don't think of her any less. It's just something about her.

When I eventually get a resin kid, I don't think I'll be sad when they yellow. It'll just be a reminder of all the good times we had together. As long as the yellowing is even ^^;

13. I used to be super paranoid about yellowing when I started collecting, but nowaways I'm just kind of 'meeeh' about it. It happens, no matter what you do. Of course I try to slow the process down through not exposing my dolls to sunlight when I don't have to, but the thought of them yellowing doesn't scare me anymore.
      In fact, one of them has ever so slightly mellowed to a different color over the last two years. It is extremely subtle but very beautiful and I like it a lot better than his original almost - paper white skin tone.

14. Most dolls yellow so gradually that you won't even notice it, unless you take a close look.

All of my dolls have yellowed. Some a little, some a little more. It doesn't bother me, in fact I prefer the more mellowed skin tone.

15. vinyl yellows, its just more subtle.

16. My Delf El have turned a greenish yellow tint... I unstrung him and "deyellowed" him which worked a bit and to match his greenish apperance I decided that he's some kind of wood elf or something like that. I now keep all my dolls in their boxes when I'm not doing any dollie stuff. I know they'll yellow eventually, which if fine, but it's unnecessary to fasten the process.
      I just hope my other dolls get a more creamy yellowish color rather than green...

17. I honestly don't care about yellowing. I know it's a natural process of the resin, and I don't want to hide away my dolls in their box. I like having them out and about and sitting with each other on top of my dresser. Most of them sit on top of each other (Reveta and I share a lot of dolls, and she has mostly tinies) to save space. One of my dolls holds two of Reveta's dolls (one smaller than the other).

But anyway, I actually have a 2 year old white skin doll, and I haven't really noticed any yellowing on him, though I suspect he was in a box for two years. Poor thing, I saved him. Now he just needs hair and a better face up.

If my dolls yellow, they'll yellow. No big deal. I'll still love them. Most I'll do is probably redo their face ups to match the new skin tone better. Though I never want to redo Zephyra's face up, it just turned out too pretty!

18. I recently bought an 8 year old doll who is a really nice shade of yellow. I like it, it flatters him.

Yellowing doesn't really matter to me.

19. I adjust the painting accordingly. Add a bit more pink to the blushing, etc. ;)

One of my oldest dolls, Planchette (Mythdoll Leroi Snow) came to me paper-white. Now she's a pale creamy yellow... I changed her image concept and had her painted to suit her new colour.

Some pinky dolls, like Dream of Doll, actually look really nice when they yellow. My oldest doll (8 years)--a Dream of Doll Too--is now a near perfect match to Volks Pureskin! :D
      ...which makes me wonder... will my dolls with yellow-based resin look like bananas in five years?! O_o;;

20. I stopped caring about yellowing when I read somewhere on here that in Asian countries they believe that dolls that have yellowed are more loved, and are in some regards considered more valuable. It's all how you look at things, and it's sad that natural yellowing is sometimes considered damage. I will do what I can to prevent yellowing, but I will not leave my dolls in their boxes because I'm afraid of it. To me, there's no point in even having a BJD if you are too afraid to enjoy it!