1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Resin yellowing: Paranoia!

Oct 27, 2010

1. This is so sweet but I did laugh at first.
      It makes your BJD sound like a finely aged wine.
      But yes I totally agree.

2. I actually LIKE yellowing in some cases. I think AoD and RS yellow nicely to a pretty cream color instead of glowing paper white. It seems more natural.

and I agree, they DO seem loved more. I adore my dolls and like playing with them and taking them out with me. I couldn't stand hiding them in a box or constantly worrying about the darkness of a room.

3. I'm a little scard about tanking my dolls out too when i got them. I got the testers mat coating for them and everything. Then I got a dollie 2nd hand from someone in england and they smoked (or someone in the house did) -.- so when i got him his skin has a slight yellow to it. I cleaned him and I let my friend give him a body blush and he looks just find. I take him every where.

4. I'm only really concerned about my grey doll. I took out her spare hands some time ago and there is a slight but noticable colour difference after a year. My other dolls didn't yellow much or at all. When I have the time I take them outside. Overall I'm much more paranoid when it comes to damage through falling/other people, than I am with yellowing.

5. There are times when paranoia is warranted, and times when it's not...

Sometimes there are resin batches and resin colors that will change a lot in light. Usually, it's an immediate and major problem that the company will understand (to some degree). People have had problem dolls and have sold them or tried to have the company replace them. But that is NOT common.

French resins tend to change color more quickly and drastically... so if you are worried, make sure the company doesn't use it--OR check with other owners to see if they've had problems or not. Some companies have been successful with making resins less susceptible to UV, etc.

BUT--

I've pretty much stopped worrying about it. I have a WS doll from '04 that has yellowed--but he pretty much looks more flesh-toned, so I don't think it's ugly. And I can always try to get him back to white using various methods, if I really wanted to. I think most of the yellowing is from non-UV MSC, really.

All resin yellows... it should do it slowly and naturally. And it should really be a big deal or very noticeable.

If people are super-sensitive about the color... there are things they can do about it... you really can try and keep your doll out of the sun and to do a lot of treatments to correct the color.

I just try and make sure my dolls aren't in direct sunlight or flourescent light for long periods of time and that's all. I like to enjoy my dolls, indoors and out. :)

6. I was scared of yellowing when I bought my first BJD and learnt about this change color. I am still a bit, but after reading all the positive comments in this thread, I feel much more relieved. I also let my dolls sit on shelves and chairs all the time and can't imagine having them in boxes. I started collecting BJD quite recently - in 2010 - so I don't have any experience with yellowing yet. But even if my darlings start yellowing sooner or later, I think I will be okay with that.

7. The yellowing haven't bothered me, as it is a natural reaction in the resin that cant be helped, only postponed a little.. :P So it have never stopped me from having my dolls out on display to be adored and loved while I have them. I`d be more bitter if I worked real hard to prevent it and hide them in boxes, instead of embracing their natural aging. My oldest doll is 4 years this year, and he`s yellowed quite a bit since french resin does that, but I love him anyway. :D

8. Glad you raised this topic for discussion. This will help guide my future decisions. I want to give my dolls good care, and protect them from any avoidable damage. I am going to think about the different answers given here. So far, I've been so busy choosing, collecting, and studying dolls that I haven't done much with them yet. Next month will be the one year anniversary of my first doll's arrival and probably the beginning of a lot of activity with them.

I've loved seeing photographs of dolls at the beach, actually in streams, all sorts of outside settings. But the thought of even taking my dolls outside has caused me to cringe a little. I've kept them away from anywhere sunlight might come through a window. Right now they are mostly all in a bookcase where I blocked the light from the only window that could reach them. This is in my bedroom so keeping it darkened is good for me too. I spend a lot of time in there and can enjoy looking at them.

I'm ready to join my area's meet ups and they like to go outside a lot it seems. I admit I've had some mixed feelings about that. I was thinking I might choose one or two dolls that are my outside outings dolls. Probably ones with extra UV protection.

Yet the point is to enjoy them and create art with them.

I still have everything to learn about them. With the sprays that have UV protection and blushing possibilities, I've kind of wondered why we can't just fix them if their color goes a little off toward a yellow that is perceived as unpleasant?

Edit: Normally I'm a firm believer in using and enjoying my stuff. I want to be a good "doll Momie" but I don't want to be overly up tight with them. That would be a strain for my own basic nature. Not that there is any right/wrong line with what would be up tight. I think it is all up to each person how much effort and attention they want to give to the yellow-standard.

9. My Yo-Sd Puff from 2007 and my Ante sleeping FP from 2010 have both yellowed, and to be honest they don't look good, if there's an easy way to remove the yellowed surface I would do it.

The thing is, the Ante FP has never seen sunlight and always been stored in the dark, while Puff has only been taken outdoors once. On the other hands, my Yo-Sd White Rabbit has been exposed to the sun a few times but he hasn't yellowed as far as I can tell. I don't believe UV plays an important factor in resin yellowing, it's more about luck I am afraid.

10. When I just started out in the hobby many years ago, I didn't even know about the possibility of yellowing. The dolls were so new to the US market that it wasn't widely known how the dolls would age. Thus, I never worried about yellowing - ignorance is bliss! :lol:

Shorty after I purchased my Lishe in 2003, I moved to Florida and the girl has been displayed near windows with Florida sun peeking in full-force. Lishe got a lot of sun while she lived in Florida :) And, of course, has yellowed quite a bit. It didn't bother me back then and it doesn't bother me now. In fact, I didn't even notice that she yellowed until I had a newer doll to compare her to.

Personally, I love 'yellowed', aged resin. If I had to sell some of my dolls, the newer, not yet yellowed ones would be the first ones out. I could always buy more of those. But, my yellowed dolls from 2003-2004 are here to stay - they are irreplaceable in my eyes. I will never be able to buy a doll that has the same resin color as them, even if I actively seek out a Lishe from 2003 (resin batches vary, even within the same year). Also, I think that 'yellowing' is not a very accurate term. When I hear that word, images of ripe, yellow bananas or bright neon yellow signs come to mind. Thankfully, none of my dolls look like that. Their resin is a very natural, human shade.

11. I confess, I was super worried about this when thinking about what I'll do with my girl once I get her. I got a light brown skinned doll from Iplehouse and was worried that she'd turn yellowish on me, but this has reassured me a lot. I'm still going to keep her away from the sun most of the time, but now I won't be scared to take her out for some fancy photoshoots. C:

12. I came back by to read more about this. BIG thanks to Cynthia in Flinthills for her links to other sources of info on this topic.

13. My BW El has yellowed alot [I think] since I got him in probably late 07-early 08, I love him to bits and pieces, and honestly it doesnt bother me much, he looks fine in photos, however I'm worried if I shoot him with another BW he's going to look ridiculously yellow. I was super paranoid cause I originally wanted all BW dolls, though Normal skin has grown on me in recent years, which I think it yellows a little less harshly.

14. I don't think I care much. My oldest boy is from 2009 (bought 2nd hand though), he's DZ white skin, and I can't see any yellowing. If he has yellowed at all, it's absolutely even, and he has a mellow creamish-white colour.
      Dolls fortunately do not yellow as much here as in many other countries, I think, since we do not have much heat OR very strong sunlight (far to the north, y'know), but I don't think I'd care much anyway. I'll still love them just as much if they yellow a bit, since they're precious to me and each have their own personality.
      I would, however, probably be a bit sad if I had an IH Real-skin doll that ended up very green. That only goes for alien-green or the like though. I don't know how green they turn, but I wouldn't mind an olive colour, if that's as green as they get.

15. I got my boy when I was 13, and I'm 19 now. In the time that I've had him he has shifted in colour, although only slightly. In certain light his neck looks a lot yellower than the rest of him, but in most pictures without flash he looks just as white as the day that I got him.

Yellowing concerned me a lot more back then than it does now. I still keep Ces out of direct sunlight unless I really need a lot of natural light for a picture, I sometimes throw a thin sheet over him if he's left in a very sunny room and he has never been outside. Despite the pre-cautions I've learnt to accept that it is a natural part of the aging process, and it does not devalue my doll in my opinion one bit - in fact, his yellowing makes me smile, because it reminds me of how long I've had him and how I felt when I saw him in person for the very first time.

My main concern now is that he will somehow disintegrate one day.

16. There are so many resins out there from different manufacturers and from them, all kinds of colors. What brands (and their colors) have you noticed kept TRUE longer than your other dolls?

17. In my experience, earlier Dream of Doll dolls kept their color beautifully. I had 4 DoD dolls from 2004 that I sold in 2011 - they had barely yellowed in the 7 years I had them. Now, I don't know if this is true for DoD now, but the 2004 resin batch was superb.

18. I won't say I'm "paranoid" about my boys yellowing persay, however I do take precautions when I bring them places, like making sure they are travelling through direct sunlight in their bag (They have been outside with me, exposed, at night though.
      When I'm at home the "dolly shelf" as I call it, where they often sit together is right across from my rooms only window and it's a bit worrying since the sun hits them full on in that spot when I even crack my blinds a few inches. I have since moved their ordinary spot to sitting on an old subwoofer I have behind my computer on my desk, which is in the corner on the same wall as my window so that they are out of direct light, but they do sit on the dolly shelf sometimes, and if they are sitting there during the day and I don't feel like moving them I drape one of my black hoodies over the shelf above them and let it hang down and cover them so that they are kept out of the sunlight.

I am slightly more protective of Winter, my RD Petter since he is a white skin doll, but I don't really do anything differently with him, I am just more worried about him yellowing I guess because he is white skinned.

19. I'm really worried about it. Especially on my brown Bambicrony girls since tan resin tends to green. Honestly, I don't really take them out at all. I know yellowing can't be avoided totally, but I've taken every precaution I can think of sort of leaving them in the box. I wish they would stay beautiful always.