1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Resin yellowing: Paranoia!

Oct 27, 2010

1. I used to worry about it but Fairyland "natural skin" resin seems to age well, so I'm not too worried about yellowing anymore. My Shushu is probably a few years old, whereas my Rheia is brand new. Shushu's resin is a natural, creamy sort of colour - it almost looks like human skin to me. Rheia's new resin has pinky undertones to it that don't look as natural. I actually prefer the colour of my older Shushu's resin, it looks more "mellow" than the newer resin. The difference between the two isn't really that noticeable unless you compared them side-by-side though. I can easily switch the heads on the bodies and the difference isn't glaringly obvious.

2. i take my doll almost everywhere with me, and we always go outside, and ive had no yellowing at all! *knocks on wood* xD
      :)

3. I'm a little bit paranoid about my future dolls yellowing, but so far it hasn't really bothered me as much.

4. I never leave my girl in direct sun, but I'm not fanatic about it either. If she yellows, so be it -- I'll still love her anyway. I'm slightly more worried about future tan dolls, but even then it's not really big on my list of concerns.

5. I want to enjoy my doll. If I have to keep her locked up in a box then I can't do that. As long as she doesn't turn banana then a bit of yellowing won't bother me. It seems inevitable no matter what you do so you might as well enjoy her ;)

6. Just stopping back by to thank Cynthia in FlintHills for the great list of links to helpful discussions on this topic.
      The Customizing & Maintenance forum has covered a lot of options for how to respond to yellowing.

7. It's an interesting point that yellowing doesn't show on camera (at least not on mine), I saw a 10 years old Volks doll the other day, she's really very yellow, to the point that her owner is thinking of buying a replacement and just discarding that one. But she showed up totally fair skinned on the photos I took, even similar in lightness sitting side by side with my non-yellowed dolls.

8. A little paranoid? Yes I am. But I figure I keep them out the sun, and keep them cool, a few minutes in the light can't hurt.

9. I never let and direct sunlight into my room, the louvered blinds are always closed to protect my MLP collection from fading. That way my dolls don't get direct sunlight, either except I take them out with me for an outdoor shooting. And I'm sure a few shooting every now and then won't yellow them. At least I hope because I want all my dolls to stay bright white...

10. I've wondered if the oils from human hands and how dolls are cleaned, and how often might have any influence on the yellowing?

11. i know that at some point, i cannot help it... but i still worry. i don't want my doll to change color in an uneven way too just like BabySnow.

12. I'm not very paranoid about yellowing or taking my girl out in sunlight, if I want to take her out with me I will (it's always sunny here so I'd have to take her out in the sunlight)
      unless it's rainy/stormy or I'd be walking long distances with her in this hot, humid weather then I'll take her out with me whenever

13. I really worried about yellowing as I first am getting into this hobby. I have always done crafts/arts/hobbies that once you make something or get something it pretty much lasts forever. Hearing about yellowing and realizing most people never show dolls pre 2008 kinda made me wonder. I bought my first doll second hand and asked the seller who kept the doll in a box wrapped in his blanket in her drawer pretty much his whole life. He was made in 2011, she bought him in 2012. When I got him he did have slight yellowing around the joints and inside the joints. I finally was able to see in real life what this scary "yellowing" thing was. Its really not that bad. I guess if the whole doll was really yellow would bother me, but overall I am not as freaked out by the concept anymore. I'm okay if my dolls mellow. I know they will. I think me personally if it ever gets to the point its really bad even though I keep him shielded from light, then that is when I will take more artistic lisence with my doll and possibly try dying him or I don't know.. something different. But over all it'd have to be really really bad for him to get me to that point and I figure by that time I'll do what I want. :)