1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Right up their skirts... for some strange reason...

Jun 4, 2007

1. I just dunno why some people tolerate it, considering people treat their dolls otherwise like children~
      I know these arent REALLY children, but... if you treat them as such, why is it fine for people to look at your kid's personal space?

On an off note, I have recalled something semi-related.
      A lot of vinyl fixed-pose models from Japan, if the characters have skirts on, have detailed and coloured underwear on. One guy who went to these cons would always grab a display thing and look up the skirt. First thing. Everytime.
      So the company started leaving notes that said "Hello!" up there.

Maybe if this skirt-lifting is a common problem, you could leave notes too?

2. That isn't a bad idea! It reminds me of when I was a child - underwear with various things written on it was quite popular, particularly days of the week. Hmmm, I have an embroidery sewing machine... I could try doing some as an experiment. :lol: Anyone have some short one word ideas they would like to see, besides "hello?"

3. Haha, one of my classmates groped my poor Chiwoo! He was wearing a dress(the Chiwoo, not the classmate)and the guy just put his hands between Vasy's legs to feel if there was anything there! I was like 'O.O *giggle*' of course, I know him so it's okay..I've never had a stranger lifting my boy's skirts, but it's okay if they want to-they're just dorries and the characters aren't exactly body shy so it's okay. I like undressing dolls because I like to see their body sculpts but I always ask the owner first.

4. try "*cough*" or something XD

well someone in my head says "Touch me" tho i dun think you'd want that XD

5. Yes, that happened in my office when I brought Seionai there for the first time. :sweat

6. Because frankly, most non-doll people (or 'standard' doll collectors) see a doll as an object. A pretty thing. Unless you're an omnipotent beign, you can't tell me that you walk up to every person on the street and instantly know everything about them. So if you're speaking to someone, and you allow them to examine your doll, for all they know (unless you outright say " *X doll* is my baby" "I treat *X doll* as my baby" something along those lines, which I dont think most people would even around work friends and whatnot due to oddness/creepy factor) you are just being protective of it because it is expensive. They don't KNOW you value your doll as such. They don't know you view it that way or take care of it that way. They know it is your doll and (maybe) you are protective of it. They dont know why, or any of the context surrounding it, unless you TELL them.

Personally, I have some boring mass-production porcelain/cloth dolls and I admit when I first got them I looked up their skirts and felt up their chests to see just how much -was- cloth, and being that I was 13 when I got them I giggled and said "ooo, boobies" and was generally immature about it. =/

Again, personally, while I would expect a certain level of care to be taken with something as expensive as a doll, to me it is a 'thing' and although for simplicity's sake I may refer to a doll as a he or she, name them, roleplay with them, ETC I have never felt the immediate connection with a doll or any inanimate object as some people may. To me it is a connection as a source of inspiration, an art piece, and an outlet for creativity, rather than a parent/child or personal relationship.

So to me, it isn't really rude, per-se, just a curious habit.

7. heh, my uncle did that to Artemis, yeah, i was pissed, but didn't say anything, since he gave me like 300 dollars for my graduation. >< but if some stranger does that, yeah, I'm going to say something, that's just rude, i don't care how curious they are!

8. I showed a BJD website to a co-worker to show her what I was planning to buy and she didn't believe me that they were boys so I had to open up the picture that shows the bits :(

I guess some people are either not convinced of gender like her or voyeur's at heart like some of the people mentioned in the previous posts!

9. O.o I've had people do it to me several times, including my father who it has now become a ritual for him to pants any new doll I recieve and compare its penis size with those that have already been subjected to this. If one of my dolls is wearing a skirt, many people tip it up to see 1) if they're wearing underwear and 2) just out of human nature and curiosity. If its wearing pants they pants them (Unless I ask specifically not to take off the clothes because they're too time consuming to get back on, something I will now do automatically when I hand a new person a doll)

People think of sex constantly, just look at advertising, of course people are going to be curious what's going on "Down there" in a doll. I don't find it offending or rude, I think its hilarious. Animal nature is to find out what sex something is when you come across a being that resembles you. With humans its a little more unnaccepted if you go up to a woman/man and ask "Hey, can I make sure you've got all your parts down there?" with a doll, especially ones that can so easily be mistaken for the wrong sex, its a little easier. Plus there's just the general curiosity of if its atonomically correct or not.

Maybe I'm a bit of a pervert, maybe I just have a sicker sense of humor than most, or maybe I see my dolls more as people who happen to live with me rather than children (one of which is a huge pervert himself who would happily whip it out for anyone who asked >.>) but it doesn't bother me. If the person asks to see my doll politely and doesn't mess up the wig, clothes, or faceup, I'm not gonna complain when they take a peek.

this was a lot longer than I intended it to be xD

10. You know, the more I think about this, the more ways I come up with to have a lot of fun with people through this. What a shame Tanal would not be pleased to be stuck in a skirt. I guess any dolls I get that do wear skirts will at least have humourous (probably snarky) underwear.

Just think of someone flipping up one of the articulated boys that's properly blushed!

(Yes, I am a warped puppy.)

I have a couple old clothbody dolls that I flipped the clothes all about figuring out how to add stuffing so they didn't look so stupid (aka shapeless). And I have a doll you have to flip up to FIND her feet, her skirt is so long and stiff that she 'stands' a good inch off the ground.

11. Ah yes that has happened.
      One night me and my friend brought our dolls for perview night at work and our coworker looked at my friends girl he touched her chest and all that and, boy could you hear the slap that came after.

My other coworker wanted to see Quatre's bits and me not wanting to do that to him, took him with me to clean theatres. It was hard to clean and keep an eye on him.
      I won't let anyone see them naked or whatever else, unless there other doll owners. I'm just like that.

12. I'm an up-tipper, I admit it, but most times I ask first. For girls it's because I want to see the underpants and I usually ask where they were bought. But if it's a boy that I have on my wish list I'll ask to see his bits, this is how I decided that I didn't actually want any DoD molds.... bubble butt boys with small/ weird looking bits, especially the DoC boys.*_* if they were made angel type it might be better for me.:lol:
      I've never done it to check the sex of a doll though, usually I can tell by the arms, legs, or chest what gender it is, without having to tip it over.

13. Tipping up dolls to examine their undies has been a well known habit as long as I've been making and collecting dolls. So much so that we'd put pants on dolls even when it wasn't historically accurate. Forty years ago almost no dolls were anatomically correct so we didn't have the new problem of people pulling their pants down to check.

I think it's more to do with checking out the workmanship - some dolls look great on the outside but have cheap underwear. Well-made undies are a sign of quality.

14. This is exactly what my mother and aunt both did when i first got Mariette! I didn't know it was a common problem...

It was like they wanted to see if she had underwear on. Maybe they didn't want to, you know, grab her when they held her? I can't fathom it--i wouldn't peek up a doll's skirt. At least, not now. Maybe i would have before...hmm...

15. Meow?! :lol: :lol: That cracked me up. I couldn't help it. Seriously though, I would buy days of the week underpants.

Besides Meow, you could put on them: 100% Real; Beef, its whats for dinner; Woof; and variations on the halo devil horns theme...

16. Isabelle has had this happen to her many times. Last time it was my boss (I had brought her to work that day.) She was just curious to see if she was dressed as nicely inside as she was outside. Izzy also gets her chest squeezed too. I have a 2-part soft body obitsu so when people hold her they're like "oh she's got a squishy body!" And then they go right for her boobs. :sweat

17. I've never had this happen to me. Actually, the only people who have ever picked up my dolls were other BJD owners. My friends don't even give them a second glance.

18. That's weird.. everyone I know in person who has seen them is utterly terrified of seeing them in any state of undress.

19. I don't think it has anything to do with perversity so much as curiosity. If there's a button we push it. If the lid is closed we open it. If there's an open window we peek outside. It is human nature to discover.

I don't really like other people handling my dolls but I understand their curiosity. I don't mind showing them if they ask. I mean honestly I feel a degree of pride by how detailed the doll is.

I myself stripped an LE 1/6 Sideshow doll once because it was so detailed that I wanted to see how many layers down it went. It turned out that his body wasn't painted the same color as his face and hands lol!

20. It's a strange thing but it's true.....people always look up dolls skirts whether they are BJD's or not. I've done it myself in the past (not to a BJD though) and for the life of me i can't remember why i did it!
      My partner always looks up my dolls skirts if i show them to him with a new outfit on - he gets yelled at and told he's a perve - he does'nt know why he does it either cos i asked him, he just says it's something that seems to happen naturally - tip the doll upside down!
      There's nowt funnier than folks is there?