1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Romance among dolls?

Nov 2, 2018

1. I think it's fun to have dolls who are part of an interlocking cast, whether they're connected by familial relationships, friendships, or romantic feelings. Of my MSDs (I just realized I still need to update existing profiles/upload profiles for all of them, oof), some are still figuring out their relationships/inclinations, but there are three probable pairings - one between two males, one between a male and someone who is nonbinary, and one between a male and someone who identifies as female (maybe one day a female sculpt with grab me, but that hasn't happened yet, so for now all my dolls are "biologically" male even if their characters aren't). I have to check myself not to want to pair off dolls as an excuse to get more dolls, though! (My asexual character in doll form keeps reminding me that he's perfectly happy alone, thanks very much.)

2. I think some dolls have a natural 'chemistry' with others, like people. Whenever there's a romantic pairing onscreen, critics are picking apart the 'chemistry' between the actors. It's true, for dolls as well. Physiques and face-shapes that just seem to fit, and then styling that adds to that 'chemistry'.

For example, I have had an established couple in a pair of my OC dolls for a while, but then I got a new [off-topic] doll in the other day. And, he's already caused a seismic shift amongst the group dynamic. Right out the box, he's staking his claim on the only girl! But, they have that chemistry. Not that the doll I got to be her established boyfriend doesn't work. The new guy just works so darn well...

3. I'm not big on romance. Case in point, I have four dolls planned that could potentially be paired (I technically have five total, but one is a tiny, so yeah...). And none of them seem to want to match up. It's not all incompatible orientation too, it's just at the end of the day they all just seem better off friends. Oh well. Of course, two aren't complete, so maybe something will spark then but I doubt it. One of the people in both potential pairs does not seem to be interested in romance at all. It is fun to pose them like they're couples though.

4. I typically don't but I have two OCs (who were created prior to me getting into the BJD hobby) who were paired together. I ended up shelling these OCs into dolls so, once I finish up their looks, I'll be posing and taking pictures of them together.

5. Similar to a lot of others answers already, my dolls are mostly based on preexisting OCs.

Min and Adrian are married (I will also shell their daughter as a bjd in the future).

Riley is aro/ace and doesn't live among people anyway, so he doesn't have a romantic partner and never will.

6. As I'm a romance author who shells characters, um, yeah, there are some pairings! The majority of my 70cm dolls have a partner. There are a few who don't, and that's probably something I'll remedy in the future. XD

7. Since I tend to group my dolls into families, there are multiple relationships -- couples, sibings, co workers, offspring, there seem to be some romantic relations. I only buy dolls that fit that world.

8. I've been collecting for 13 years and have 16 dolls and none of them are a couple lol. I love looking at other people's romantic couples and such but I have no experience with romance of any kind so I guess it makes sense that I wouldn't naturally make a romantic pairing with my dolls. The only two doll characters I have with a romance in their backstory, one's wife was killed and the other's wife left him(though I still kind of want her as a doll) so still no romantic pairing. On one hand I think it would be cool to have a romantic couple but on the other hand it would probably feel and come across very false and hollow coming from me.

9. I'm demiromantic. This may be why I've never paired any of my dolls, except for a couple of silly romance photostories. I focus way more on familial and platonic relationships.

10. Almost all of my gang are pair bonded. Since I don't have preconceived characters for them, they suggest what they are & the ball starts rolling from there. Some dolls just seem to belong together & some have lovers but also extended families. For example my Fairy of Light Queen is involved with a Fairy of Dark prince, a relationship her cousin doesn't approve of but his sister thinks is sweet. Neither of the cousins are in romantic relationships but often pair with each other in my display. I think I get a bit over involved with my dolls & the storylines that rise up around them. :lol:

11. Not really - the majority of my dolls are children and young teens.

Teddy

12. MODERATION NOTE

This discussion is about how pair up your actual dolls as romantic couples. While it's natural that OCs will be part of this framework, any posts that are entirely about OCs and their backstory are off topic. If anyone wants to specifically discuss their OCs, it needs to be taken to Brigadoon.

Thanks~

13. I have a love triangle amongst three of my dolls. One of those males also has history with a friend’s female doll, though they are simply good friends now. We like to joke that a male doll of hers has/had a crush on one of mine, too, but it’s one of those ‘doomed to be unrequited comic-relief’ interests. The unseen ties all add a fun imaginary tension component to posing and taking photos of the dolls together.

14. I don’t set out to ship my dolls per se. Sometimes when I’m musing about personalities I consider what kind of relationships they’d have with one another. Normally if there is potential for romance it’s pretty casual, like a schoolyard crush. I find that awkward initial stage to be very interesting (and comical) so that’s where most of their relationships stay.

15. These dolls have a life on their own .I have both boys and girls and two couples. The couples are straight ,I tried to make a gay couple but it didn't work. Like i said ,they're like alive lol they choose if they want to be friends or family or romantic couple .

16. While I almost never really plan things ahead, some of my dolls just keep falling into pairings. Most of the time I don't really give it much thought, then I try taking photos of them together, which makes me realize they're cute together, so I leave them be. :lol: I have two current couples who just happened to fall together like that, and one relationship that's actually planned! But considering how these guys seem to all have personalities of their own independent from what you want, the best I can do is hope they work out together.

17. Pairings and the like are things I usually don't give much thought to, my dolls are my toys and photography subjects first. That said, it started as a joke but now my two dolls Pandora and Papillon are an item. They aren't human so the size difference is nothing for them (74cm vs 32cm). Papillon just likes tall women :XD: It's probably not even going to be the only ongoing relationship, as Papi as a character is polyamorous. She'll have to wait a while for another girlfriend though, my wallet is not ready!

18. .

#38 Gintsumi, Dec 23, 2018
      Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    19. I think of my dolls as siblings or just friends. Most of them are children anyway.

20. I'm open to the idea for the plans I have for my BJD dolls. The ones I have are roleplay-characters after all, and sometimes there are roleplays that do develop relationships.
      I don't know if I'll get the doll to work to getting the relationship- or however to go about it. They are likely to be single in my home. XD;;