1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Rude/mean comments about your dolls

Dec 1, 2016

1. How rude! If she doesn’t like your dolls she doesn’t have to be that mean… it’s ok not to think the same way, but she should not tell you that kind of stuff :pout: I know mom is mom… and we try to make them feel proud of us and our hobbies but some times we have to put a line and talk to them about how we feel

2. She definitely is a piece of work! I usually don't mind the comments but sheesh she does know how to hit a nerve. That doesn't stop me from positioning all my dolls to stare at the spot she sits in though...

3. I don’t think it’s rude but my friend is super scared of one of my dolls and is convinced she is haunted. I think she is pretty cute and even if she was haunted I would just like her even more

4. I know this thread is old but omg i love responding to people that comment on pictures of my doll calling it creepy. I send creepy pictures at night and tell them normal things i do with the doll that sounds creepy to them (changing out the eyes, taking the body apart to clean the pieces, and taking off the head and hands to put on clothes)
      It made a couple of friends less weirded out by the hobby and they thought it was cool instead, kind of seeing it as a horror hobby instead of a cute hobby lol

5. I always looked at this thread and felt like "ooh I'm so lucky I don't have to deal with it!"... And then I started a youtube channel. I'm a psychology student and I mainly talk psychology, but I often have my dolls sit in the background, just like some people have vases or book collections on an open-view shelving unit.
      So... Now I've joined your team of people who sometimes encounter d*cks. It's funny, because I know that when I discuss various issues, I sometimes criticise some attitudes (obviously) like self-esteem, motivation, responsibility etc... And some people don't want to hear what's uncomfortable... (That's why they search for videos like mine, I guess... Lol) So, among many kind viewers, I'll have some ocassional "pls stop ur a kid playing with dolls lol", etc.

I always then remember two things: being able to afford a bjd collection is a flex. Having a hobby rather than a boring life with no ways to occasionally escape reality in a fun way is also a flex. So, I know that these comments don't reflect me, but these people's idiocy, envy or frustration.

Yesterday my fav psycho youtuber (who's one of my gurus) read a comment where someone criticised her tattoos... Like imagine googling psychology, self-improvement yadayadayada only so as to watch a helpful video and conclude with "ur dolls/tattoos/anything-else-that's-irrelevant suck, bye"

Sad but amusing :)

6. Back in June, my apartment building caught fire. Everyone got out safely, but we all lost a huge number of possessions. Luckily, some of my dolls survived, though I lost about half of my collection. I've posted about my journey to restore the survivors, on various platforms, and mostly gotten very nice comments.

...except for multiple "I bet your dolls started the fire lol!!!!" and one "ew, put them back where you found them [in the burned-out building, I assume]."

What is wrong with people? My home burned down, and they think it's just dandy to insult the few treasured belongings I have left.

7. When I was in middle school, I was doing some small talk with some other girls in the girl's locker room after gym class. They were talking about something related to toys (can't remember what) and I piped in saying that I still had a Barbie car and owned Barbies. One of the girls looked at me and spat rudely, "Aren't you too old for Barbies?" I was both mad and embarrassed. So much so that I turned to my gym locker, said nothing else, and continued what I was doing initially.

I know this wasn't about BJDs, but it still resonated with me as a recently turned doll collector and crafter.

8. I told my friend that I was hesitant to tell her about my dolls because I thought she would mock me or whatever, and she said, "Why would I do that? If it makes you happy, that's great!" Then, like two weeks later she was mocking me in front of other people.

9. Oof, that's rough! :(

10. I've been pretty lucky . . . so far.

Friends/family haven't been super weird about it. In part because I don't bother mentioning it to family members who would DEFINITELY give me shit about it. Like, I know my dad would just be like "DOLLS???" Especially since I didn't like dolls as a kid at all lmfao. My mom thinks the hobby's kinda ridiculous, but she at least thinks the creative aspects of it are cool—she likes the fact that it's gotten me back into photography, sewing, crocheting, etc.
      I'm actually less concerned with things people outside of the hobby say, tbh. Now that I'm in my 30s I just REALLY don't care as much what people think about the things I choose to do for fun. Like, alright, you don't enjoy it? Good thing you're not the one doing it then!

Since I'm relatively new to the hobby, I'm way more paranoid about what people within the community will say :pout:
      I've seen how much people talk shit about newbies in general as well as specific people behind their backs, and I'm just like ugh . . . Makes me feel like I'll be secretly (or not so secretly) made fun of for not having everything perfect in my photos. I'm still learning how to style wigs properly, still experimenting with making poses look natural and dynamic, still working on acquiring better clothes for my dolls, etc etc etc. Hell, I feel like people will look down on me just for the specific dolls / styles of dolls I have, ahaha.

Weirdly, I guess it's mean reactions to other people's dolls within the community that have affected me :roll:
      (To be clear, I'm not talking about constructive criticism here. I'm an artist and writer, so I appreciate the importance of concrit in creative growth. This is not that lmfao.)

THANKfully, I'm a nobody and am not looking to be popular or whatever, so I figure people will mostly just let me be. My dolls and my photos of them are for ME anyway; I just like to share because it's fun!

11. There's also going to be people who think they're creepy. But I don't care. I have them for their beauty and artistry.

12. Haha, the only person who makes weird comments about them is my mum. She used to have a porcelain doll given to her by her grandma, and for some reason, it creeped her out. Ever since then, she looks at my dolls and says, "Those are creepy. Why do you have them? Do you ever get the feeling they are watching you? or come alive and attack you?'"

I mean I understand but yea that's always fun xD