1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Rude/mean comments about your dolls

Dec 1, 2016

1. Ive had to have mine in storage for the last year (climate controlled) due to moving and covid...well I forgot to tell my bf about them so tonight is the first time he gets to find out about them. Well, one of them. It's an islanddoll luo luo so it's pretty small...its unstrung, and blank, but I put some eyeballs in so to hopefully not scare him to much?

2. Simply to say, I've heard all that most in the hobby have already heard. But I think the part that scares most is when the resin kiddos are taken apart for repairs or "eyeless" then I tend to get looked at by friends as if I am "secretly Sid from Toy Story".

3. Broke my heart a little when I'd get a doll and friends or family would be creeped out. I'm very particular about what dolls I get, and I think they're adorable. Luckily I do have some good supportive friends who say nice positive things. It would be nice to share a hobby interest with a friend; it can feel a bit lonely otherwise. As long as it makes me happy, I don't care what anyone else says.

4. My youngest brother is terrified of dolls and calls all of mine creepy/ugly. (And honestly so does my mom, grandmother, dad, and other brother, though not as much) It kinda hurts, but hey everyone's got their own opinions and tastes. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5. Thus far no one has said anything rude/mean about my doll- surprisingly my parents seem to like him even? Although, I think they might like the horses I bought for him and my girl (whenever she gets here) more, lol.

6. Luckily most people are pretty supportive or at least polite to my face about my dolls. When I first got into the hobby I was worried my parents were going to mock me for being "childish" for buying dolls as an adult but they took it like champs and never have belittled me for the hobby itself. And they actually think my dolls are really cute, even if both of them mistake every boy doll for a girl >_>
      My sister is the only person who has anything bad to say about them. It's the typical "omg that's so creepy!!!" but that doesn't hurt my feelings, it's just eyeroll worthy.

7. Well, my family thinks it's weird to have a lot of dolls, they think I'm too old to play with dolls, but they're also supportive because this hobby makes me happy. So their comment didn't hurt me, because at the same time they respect my choice :)
      I had another experience with one of my colleague, saying my Nyx was "disgusting and so ugly". But her opinion doesn't matter, I love my beautiful Nyx, her sculpt is so unique but that's what makes her so special to me!
      I just learned to ignore these kind of non constructive comments. Everybody has different tastes so as long as you love your hobby and your doll, negative comments should be ignored ;)

8. After reading all your experiences I feel so lucky I have never had a negative encounter relating my dolls. I used to have a friend who always said she was terrified of my dolls and refused to even look at the photos I took of them. Now this friend is the one who got me back in the hobby after 7 years and claims I am responsible for her passion about DD :mwahaha

9. The only mean comments I really get are from other BJD collectors :sweat

All of my irl friends, family, and acquaintances have been either been very nice and supportive, or just have kept their opinions to themselves, so I’m lucky in that, I guess. <3

10. Not so much creeped up by the dolls, but I get shamed a bit for having dolls as an adult and for the amount of money I spend on the hobby. I believe it's down to what you like, though. I don't judge people who prefer to spend money on trips, clothes, makeup and other experiences, whereas I just like to eat out and enjoy my dolls. They help with my anxiety, keep me company and bring me joy. That is reason enough to keep them.

11. Dang, what the heck! I'm sorry you've had to deal with that from people in our own hobby.

12. My friend started with the hobby and got some mean comments about her first face ups. At the start she was really excited about creating her own doll. Like doing all the painting, clothes, wigs. Those comments really discouraged her and she sold her doll a few months later.
      I personally never encountered any mean comments, but I learned from her experience to be a bit more careful. ^^

13. I have a beautiful BJD that I bought at Ldoll in 2018. She is the only doll I always have on display for all to see. She has become almost a barometer to measure doll sensibility among my friends. One of my friends just doesn’t relate to the aesthetic, thinks the doll looks unhappy or sad and says she doesn’t like it.

For me, this doll has a very serene, contemplative, and meditative presence. The other day an artist friend was visiting. The only way to describe it is that she was enraptured by the doll. She said it was amazing and that she’d never seen anything like it. I was really moved to see someone else connect to a doll. It was a first for me!

I don’t, as yet, have a connection with other BJD enthusiasts in my country and while some photos of my dolls may get a favourable response from friends and family, I feel at times that it is almost a bemused tolerance.

14. I just recently showed my doll to my mother for the very first time. She knew I was collecting bjds and had been nagging to see it.

When I showed it to her, she tried to look under her skirt for who knows what reason, but I stopped her. After giving it a good look over, she goes, "Is it Japanese?" I wasn't sure, but since the previous owner had given her a Japanese name and I was going to too, I just said yes. Then she goes "Why wouldn't you get a nice Victorian one?" I told her I already had 7 Victorian porcelain dolls.
      Then she goes, "what do you do with her? Just sit her there?"
      My dad showed more respect and interest :(

I am honestly terrified of her seeing my 65-73cm boys that are still coming. I am slowly regretting this hobby and think it may have been a mistake.

#134 LenaV, Jan 14, 2021
      Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    15. That’s very sad. But YOU should enjoy your hobby, not your mother. Don’t show her your dolls if she can’t accept them.

16. Some people live to be negative.

I've been out of the hobby because I'm currently homeless and in a shelter and because I lost my last 2 dolls to theft moving up to NYC. Already people have made snarky comments about my even being on forums for BJD's like I'm just not worthy of even being here until I have a place and way more income again. I'm getting two lovely mini dolls from a long time online dollie pal? I already got comments to the effect that while the gesture was nice I should think about selling them to add to my housing fund. As IF I would ever diss her gracious gift by doing that.

It was the same with my cat while I was street homeless, with rescue people and with the outreach teams they have. "Let me rehome her. This isn't fair to her or you." Or "Get rid of your animal so you can be in a shelter and we can help you!" was all I heard for over a year and a half. For the record I took brilliant care of my Lily while I was out. She never lacked for food, toys, or health care and she never got too hot, too cold, or had fleas either.

We traveled a lot, sure, but she was well taken care of and loved the adventure actually for the most part. To this day I take her out to parks, the beaches, as much as I can depending upon the weather and Covid. I don't want to risk her health at all but she does need some fresh air now and again because she gets too cranky being cooped up. She's used to being out and watching everything and she gets bored looking at 4 walls.

I finally got support animal papers for her and they had to take me with her. Have they helped me in the 2 years I've been in shelter really? Not really and at the rate they are going I "might" have affordable housing in 2-3 more years. I'm not waiting for them. Come June I will have the money to move out as I wish and we are going....somewhere....just have to find a place I can afford...

People who don't love dolls just don't get it. It's not about you. It's about them so don't sweat it.

17. All my friends are very supportive of my doll hobby. My mom doesn't get it, but loves to see some of the fancier outfits I make for them.

My husband, though...I understand being creeped out by dolls (especially since he saw the movies "Child's Play" and "Poltergeist" when he was way too young for them), but he has said, more than once, that if I die first he plans to BURN THEM. Because he thinks they're too creepy to exist. "Yes, I know they're expensive."

You do not threaten to destroy something that someone you love has spent lots of time and money on, not even as a joke. It hurts me every time.

18. I quit posting photos to the public on Imgur because of some really awful and sexual comments about my dolls. I don't use it at all anymore. I want to delete my account but that is who hosts some of my DoA photos. Disgusting people.

19. Still reading this thread cuz it's fascinating.

When I ahd my first doll (Luts Kid Delf An), I was told he was creepy, but my parents did encourage me to do things with him and it even got my stepmom into Liv dolls (yeah, it was when THOSE were a thing...) Otherwise, I usually hid him from friends, mostly because I'm a guy and... y'know. (actually it was one of my only female friends who took him from me. i haven't seen him since.)

Now, my husband encouraged me to get back into the hobby after reassuring me that it's not that expensive of a hobby all thigns considered. He collects comic books, so he understands. He really supports my hobby and wants me to love it, but he does think my dolls are creepy, only because ALL dolls are creepy - and to that, I began to say "I know, right!?"

It actually made me really lean into the "creepy" factor of BJDs. So you think the dolls are creepy? You just wait and see how creepy and beautiful I make them! My Dollzone boy is an anime style in pure black and white. My next one will be a broken android. I'm embracing it and now, when I have friends over, I'm like... "Wanna see my creepy doll?"

Usually after that, they think he's quite lovely.

20. I used to get comments from a lot of people I know about the dolls I like being creepy or scary and it used to bother me a lot, so I stopped sharing them with my friends even though they made me really happy. It bothers me a LOT less now but I still don't really like sharing photos with my friends unless I'm specifically sharing pictures of a doll I'm waiting for. My family thinks they're scary too but I really don't care about what they think lmao