1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Rude/mean comments about your dolls

Dec 1, 2016

1. This is an ancient instagram screenshot. Most of the users have since deactivated, so I can't even get a new screenshot, but I love it all the same

[​IMG]

2. Honestly, the only comments that bother me is when people appear grossed out and immediately assume it's a s*xual thing. It bothers me deeply and no matter how much I try to explain, they think it's an excuse. It's incredibly hurtful as I would never see the dolls in that way and it's just a creative outlet :( I dont care if someone thinks they're just creepy though, a lot of people are that way because of horror movies :sweat

3. I'm sorry people were so small-minded and judgmental. That's why there are so many types of dolls so that everyone can express themself..Not every person wants a cutesie baby doll. Not everyone has mainstream taste. And that's okay. It's their problem, not yours. If you're happy, that's all that matters.

4. Fortunately for me my friends and my partner are very supportive of me. My sister thinks that they are a bit creepy, but she doesn't say anything bad about it.

My partner is very very kind, a lot of things I like he personally doesn't like/wouldn't get one, but it doesn't harm anyone and if he sees I'm happy with it then it's fine. My two male coworkers were mostly shocked by the price of the big dolls and said they would find it a bit creepy to own one but regardless its a little cool and they want me to show them pictures of him haha.

It's unfortunate when people you care about don't like the things you do or are openly mean about it, but I find the best way is to either just talk about it less if there's no other way but usually if people can see how much happiness it brings you they will eventually turn around a bit or at least be nicer about it.

5. My cat is the only one who knows since I'm fairly private. She gets mad and makes angry comments about showing something other then her attention.

6. My boyfriend recently had a former coworker over. He gave a them a little tour of our apartment, and said that his coworker "hated" my dolls. He said he tried to explain that they're super artful and very impressive to handle, but the coworker wouldn't budge. I'm honestly not sure why my boyfriend told me this, probably because we don't really keep things from each other, but still upsetting to hear nonetheless.

7. I'm sorry you deal with idiots like that. It's never sexual and shouldn't be seen as such.

I joke that my dolls are my "kids" occasionally and I have reasons behind that. I know they aren't, but people always assume whoever uses that term for dolls is crazy (even bjd owners which I find absolutely ridiculous- this judgement is why a lot of people don't share their stuff with others
      :roll:). It gets frustrating.

We shouldn't have to explain our life's story for owning something we enjoy and love. What business is it of theirs?

8. Honestly no matter what my interests are, there have always been people who have been rude about it, no matter how "normie" they may have been. There will always be people who want to tear you down if they see you enjoying something, and that's not on you.

I think what's helped me over the years is cultivating a loving, weird social circle, but also just accepting that not everybody is going to "get" me, that that's okay, and that I'm not obligated to care about anybody else's opinions. It's great if people vibe with my interests, but if they're going to be rude, then that's a reflection on them and not on me. If I'm catching flak from a friend or somebody whose opinion I value, I'll talk it out with them. While they certainly don't have to like my hobbies, I expect my friends and family to not, like, be a jerk about it, you know? If somebody routinely hurts my feelings and won't change even when I talk to them about it, then they're probably not somebody whose opinion I should be valuing in the first place.

Also, like, it's not my job to be interesting or palatable to randos; it's my job to be the best version of myself I can be. If people want to twist themselves up over it, that's their business and has nothing to do with me. It's taken a long time to cultivate that sort of attitude, but I'm much happier for it. :aheartbea

9. My sister always tells me I'm wasting money on dolls and a few people have said they are weird and creepy. I don't listen to their opinions because those people simply don't understand my hobby and love for dolls. I don't judge their hobbies and activities, like how much they go out and party and drink, how much they spent on clothes, how much they spent on x, y, z. It really doesn't bother me at all. I just do what I like, its my life.
      On another note tho; mean comments about my dolls from people in the hobby, that would affect me more but I haven't received any negative comments from a fellow BJD collector yet so I am happy for that.

10. I got the "creepy" comments from friends (all over 20) but I didn't care. This just makes me think how weird "adults" are because my nephew and niece (they are 5 and 2 now) say my dolls are cute, but they don't want to hold them, my nephew told me it is not a doll for kids. He understands without me telling him that my dolls are for adults and not for kids to play with.

Kids are so smart and kind, why can't adults be the same.

11. Holy crap, why are people so awful?

12. I showed one of my closest friends my doll once and she thought it was beautiful! But she was more disgusted with me for the price I paid for them. "krystina, l'm just going to get you a Barbie and fill it with rocks." She and I both come from frugal families and yes sometimes I do feel guilty for how much I spend on them. But this comment from her still makes me laugh XD

13. I've had a handful of people tell me I'm wasting money on something so silly - I just turn around and ask how much they spent on their makeup, nails, or shoes this year alone, - I don't want to be mean, but its my money, I don't find spending it on what makes me happy a waste.

I had one 'friend' (he's my husband's friend but he's in our group) tell people I buy henti dolls - I told him if he feels like dress up dolls are henti maybe he has a problem (I treat my dolls essentially the way my daughters treat their barbies, minus taking them to the pool haha so to me, they're my version of barbie) and luckily he hasn't brought it up again

I don't like confrontation but I will defend the one thing I allow myself to have that makes me happy haha

14. My mother is also a doll collector (she collects soft sculpture Cabbage Patch kids), so my family was already used to the idea of expensive dolls being a legit hobby. The only negative comments I've gotten was when I sold my old msd sized doll. I had done her faceup and body blushing myself and my parents were kinda proud of it like they were with the rest of my school art projects. So when I informed them that I sold the doll to afford my Tiny bjds, they were quite upset that I hadnt just asked them first for money or a birthday present of sorts ^^"

15. OMG can your parents adopt me?! :love:whee::D I'll be your big sis :XD: That's really cool you have parents that take such an interest in this hobby. Really warms my heart.

16. I think life is too short and we might as well enjoy our dolls. :love There is people who like you said pay for expensive clothes, purses, shoes! Not to mention cigarettes, alcohol, etc. We all spend the money the way we want. I actually see my dolls as an investment. ;-) my husband does not care about my hobby. He knows it makes me happy and he likes that. I have a friend complaining about me spending on dolls but wouldn’t buy a plane ticket to go visit her lol but if I actually would use money to travel I would go with my family instead even thou I love my friends lol … but I love dolls more haha

17. My husband says the dolls eyes freak him out but he understands they make me happy, so he's fine with it. It finds it amusing my girls will make my dolls and I have tea parties with them and their dolls haha
      And exactly my point! My brother in law eats out twice a day, a mother in law has a shopping addiction (buys clothes daily, never wears them), my sister spends a ton on makeup, my friend (who made the inappropriate comment I think I mentioned in my post) buys several thousand dollars worth of shoes a year. So just pretend I'm taking money I woulda spent on those things, and I'm spending it on dolls

18. I have one friend who is very spiritual and superstitious, and dolls make him uncomfortable because he's used to the idea that they're vessels to house spirits, so I don't share pictures of my dolls with him. Otherwise, my friends have been really great and supportive, though I try not to ramble too much about them because I know they're being polite. Everyone has their own hobbies, we don't really share the same ones though. The only who has seen my dolls and think they're creepy is my mother, despite her having her own toy collection. It was initially disappointing, but then I started having fun sending her pictures of creepy scenes with dolls to freak her out (like my dolls using a miniature ouija board).

19. The fact they waste money like that for their own enjoyment, but yell about yours is just ridiculous. They can't say much if they are going to do the same, or worse, with other items they like but rarely or won't use.

20. That's awful! I'm so sorry you had such a no-doubt traumatizing incident related to the innocent hobby you love all because of prejudice. You sound like a great parent, and I'm glad you give your kids the freedom to dress how they want rather than how they're expected to. I'm glad most people you encounter tend to be significantly more accepting of your dolls.