1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sacramento KCRA Channel 3 ABJD Story [ON AIR NOV.15th]

Sep 7, 2007

1. Thats horrible, I cannot believe they actually aired that! I'm glad it was pulled as well. I hope the story proves to be better than the promo.

2. Wow - it's like a B horror flick just waiting to happen.

3. Just wow. Oh my g.... But it's not totally surprising when the media does this. The producers already know what kind of news story they want. They can take random clips and put them totally out of context.

Still, I really hope someone will upload the actual news broadcast.

4. I think this says it best: :nowords:

5. I'll try to record the interview thing as well.

6. ohhhh my goodness D: seriously thats...............wow..*shakes head*

if i had any faith left in the media at all, it's probably gone now.

7. lol XD I want to see but this computer won't play Youtube.

Whatever it is, I doubt it'll offend me. I'm practically a folk devil as it is for even spending as much time on the Internet as I do. I hardly expect mainstream media to gush over my other hobbies.

I'll see it later, I guess.

8. What the hell was that promo?? I honestly hope the actual show is good T_T
      And everybody is so looking forward to it!

I hope someone uploads it to youtube when it airs so we all can watch it too XD

9. I'm hopeful the actual segment will be much better.

I was upset over how Alyssa appeared on the promo. I exchanged emails with Pamela Wu (the reporter) who was also concerned with the promo. She did not feel it was a true representation of the segment which she told me was a more balanced story.

Both she and Millicent requested that the negative version of the promo be removed. I appreciate their efforts and consideration.

The much much shorter promo only shows a couple of dolls in half screen and calls them toys. It's too bad there wasn't a sort of middle ground promo.

We shall see tonight :)

10. I went to their website

http://www.kcra.com/index.html

Thursday at 11 on KCRA 3
      Dolls made in Asia with a rabid following in Sacramento. Who's collecting them, and how much theyr'e shelling out for them.

Tonight at 11 Asian doll craze
      No video as yet.

11. It's great that they removed it XD

And I'm sorry about the way they portrayed those of you that took part of that segment in that stupid promo. *sends hugs*
      But I'm so glad they removed that, and I'm looking forward to watching it!

12. My grandmother, who lives in Oakland, apparently saw the spot before they pulled it... According to my mother, she's now convinced that I've joined some kind of creepy cult. o_O

Now... My grandmother gets some pretty stange ideas sometimes. I think that's allowed when you're 93, and the rest of the family's used to it... But I have to share a hotel room with her in a couple of weeks. I'd planned on taking Harumatsu with me because my mom and my soon-to-be sister-in-law wanted to see him.

Thanks to KCRA's promo department I'm going to get grilled six ways to Sunday. It's not gonna be fun explaining to her that I'm not obsessed, and that I don't "hear voices" or any of that, no matter what the TV News says.

The problem is that no matter what the actual story that airs looks like... This creepy promo is going to be what people like my grandmother remember. The damage, such as it is, has already been done. :doh

13. My mother is having the same issue with the promo and I -know- she's not going to watch the story itself. I know a LOT of people aren't going to watch the story itself. All a lot of people are ever going to remember is the creepy promo.

14. This is the time that we most of all should educate people about these dolls. You have to let people know (who've seen the promo, or just think it's some creepy doll cult) that it's nothing like that. That its just a hobby, and when it comes down to the wire, they are just dolls. I usually make a reference to model cars. Building up a model car from parts, and painting it to look custom, adding different features, but instead of adding decals and tires, we add wigs, and eyes, and clothes to create a character of sorts. Usually, people REALLY understand that, and accept that.

If we try to educate people about the dolls, instead of assuming that they are asses for calling them creepy, then sometimes, people will surprise you.

I had a woman who originally had asked "What's with the creepy dolls?" run into me later, and i found that she had actually went to every site i had mentioned, and was in love with them, but couldn't afford them.

The key is teaching people what is TRUTH about these dolls, and what is fiction. Also, if you find that anyone is assuming that the news promo was truth, ask them...."Do you always believe everything you see in mags or on the TV?"

15. I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to be the voice of dissent, here, comicbookartistboi. Unless people have a really expensive hobby themselves, yeah, they probably will think this is weird. No matter how a news station puts it, bad or good, most of us are 18+ ADULTS collecting dolls- not only porcelain ones, but ones with characters that we actively play with.

This hobby will probably be like anime for a long time, in that it's not going to be "understood", no matter how much you try to "educate" the people. "Education" is pointless, I'm sorry. They are not like model cars- those are based on adult-oriented objects in the first place.

Accept that this hobby is a little weird. Fighting for its normalcy as a hobby is only going to make us look more "creepy".

16. lol Saw it. Are they hoping to make this an expose? XD I guess some mundane hobby story would be pretty boring. I was wondering why they were doing a story on this at all.

Now, as for a representation of my hobby, I'm not bothered by the spooky commercial. However, if I had volunteered to be in this story and was interviewed by those peeps, I think I'd be pissed.

I'm going to have to have my sister watch this. She's in the Sacramento area.

17. ROFL!!!!! LMAO!!!!I just watched the promo and it is the funniest thing I have ever seen! As though Iraq, Iran, Al Quada, Sadam, Osama, airport insecurity, illegal immigrants, Blacks and Homosexuals weren't enough, now they want the American people to be afraid of dolls! it is so pathetic it is almost quant!

18. This is all so true. So many times people ask me what I do (as a job) and I say "I design and make doll clothes and sell them on my website." Invariably the question is "oh, for Barbie?" As if this is the only doll in the world! :doh

And last year our tax preparer kept insisting that my business be changed to a hobby category. She really copped an attitude and I'm sure she just doesn't see anything connected with dolls as a real "business." Therefore, it must be a hobby. I'm sure the doll shops and doll companies wouldn't appreciate that attitude.

Anyway, I think there is more "unusual" stuff connected to BJDs that would peak a person's interest. And if they know nothing about the Anime or Cosplay world, I'm sure it seems even weirder. Let's face it, for many people the fact that adults "play" with dolls seems creepy. They just don't even connect it with any other kinds of hobbies - like grown men building model train towns, etc. ;)

19. After the airing, does anyone think that the hobby might explode?
      I hear that Volks' quality recently is dropping, i don't want to think of what will happen if Volks floods with so many new orders that there will be no more value and appreciation put into the making of the dolls :(

...Or maybe the report will be as horrific as the promo and our hobby will stay rather normal...