1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sacrilege to customize a "limited Edition" outfit?

May 7, 2010

1. bit late I realise ;) but thought I would put my thoughts on the matter

Personally I wouldn't alter a limited edition outfit, unless it was minor for example adding darts to make it fit my doll better (especially likely if it wasn't made for the brand your doll is) because it would feel wasteful to me to alter a limited dress when there are so many talented seamstresses in the market place who could make me something similar but more to my liking right from the start.

that said I wouldn't 'turn my nose up' at a well altered dress on the market place, and personally I don't care what other people do with their limited edition outfit, I certainly wouldn't think badly of someone who did, more power to you if you have the skills and confidence to alter something limited :)

as for how far is too far, I guess for me its too far when it becomes significantly different and unrecognisable from the original, mainly because as I've said there are lots of talented people put there who could make something you liked straight away, and lots of cheaper non limited outfits out there you could alter so altering a limited seems a bit pointless and expensive way of going about things

2. Vulpes, i get what you are saying but I wouldn't be happy about getting someone, or myself for that matter, to copy an outfit just to make it a different length. It's weird but as a designer myself, I would be way more annoyed if someone got a copy of my work made with a tiny difference than if they just altered the one I made. Empire line dresses are very easy to make but I love the fabric, the colour, the print, the way it's ruched around the bodice... everything, I just prefer it a bit shorter. I'm really happy with it now and I'm glad I did it :)

Huge apologies to anyone who missed out on the dress and would have kept it ankle length, but I don't regret buying it and it will won't be going up for sale!

3. I forgot, here's a pic of the shortened dress, she looks so cute in it. The hem is perfectly straight - she is just standing slightly hunched over!

[​IMG]

4. Beautiful. ^_^ Just tell her to look out for falling houses...;) (I really love red shoes!)

5. vonbonbon- I love what you did to the outfit so cute. Great job.

6. Why thank you! She's much happier in it now she can see her shoes ;)

7. It looks gorgeous, I love what you did to the dress! It's very cute.

8. You have the right to do anything with something that you purchased, you can run a LE Beryl outfit though a paper shredder if you want.

You can also smash a one-off Volks doll under the wheel of your car, or throw it out a window.

LoL you can throw your whole doll collection into the ocean to swim with the fishies.... there is NO limit to what you can do with what you own!!!

This whole hobby is based on creativity! Customize anything you like!!!! :) If it's beautiful to YOU then that is the true heart of BJD collecting.

9. Well, it's your dress. So you ought to feel free to do whatever to it. Clothes after all, get old. If you don't like it the way it is, alter it.

Now, resale value might go down I would think. Because personally, I don't want to buy something altered in a way that I wouldn't know. I wouldn't know if the stitches were good or w/e.