1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Say your Boyfriend/Girlfriend Wanted To Buy You A Doll,

Jul 30, 2012

1. I thiiiiiink my boyfriend would loan money more so then go out and buy a doll. He would probably admit that he knows nothing about these kinds of dolls compared to me. Though I guess if he did I'd just tell him to go through in stock dolls at Denver Doll since I know I like just about any company they deal for.

He's offered to loan some money for a second doll of mine, but I ended up not needing it before. So yeah. No outright gifts.

2. I would be delighted if my spouse gifted me a doll. We talk about them often and discuss the different dolls we're interested in, so I'm confident that they would get me one that I would love dearly. On the off chance they got me one I didn't like, I would outfit them in a way that's my spouse likes and gift them back to them. (which was probably their plan all along, hahaha)

3. Even disregarding the issue of cost, I doubt my boyfriend would ever buy me a bjd, since we have other shared interests that he's way more familiar with. If he did, it would probably be only if he knew I wanted that one specifically or if it was of a character I really love.

If anything, it'd be more likely to be the other way around. He's not really interested in bjds in and of themselves, but there are certain characters that he collects figures of, and he would definitely appreciate a doll version of them as well. The Hatsune Miku DD is probably the top of the list, but I also like planning out how I'd make custom dolls for other characters that don't have official versions as a thought experiment.

4. I don't consider it my place to tell anyone what to do with their own personal money, but I'd feel wrong if I didn't at least try to explain that I wouldn't need such an expensive gift from them in order to be happy.

Also, part of me would probably wonder what horrible thing they might have done wrong, to feel the need to make such a huge purchase to compensate for it (not that it would work)...did they cheat on me? Steal my jewelry? Run into my car and make it look even worse than it already does?

If they went ahead with the plan and got me a doll I didn't like, I'd still keep it, because I see it the same way I see ugly holiday sweaters...it's who a gift comes from, and the thought that goes into buying/making it, that matters.

Besides, I can still give it whatever faceup/wig/outfit I want.

I'd only sell it if they ever actually did cheat on me/steal my jewelry/run into my car on purpose.

5. My husband has bought me doll parts, but never a doll. I wouldn't want him to.

That being said I love the puki parts he's bought me. It was a wonderful surprise.

6. I wouldn't say no if they were very serious about it, but I would probably make it a joint ownership doll. I would feel bad otherwise :,)

7. Dolls are so personal, I’d feel bad if my husband bought one for me and I didn’t like/love it. It would just sit on my shelf staring at me and I’d never be able to sell it without a guilty feeling. So I’d probably tell my husband if he wanted to buy me a doll to let me give him a list of ones I like so it’s still a little bit of a surprise but definitely something I would love haha.

8. 2 out of 3 dolls I own are presents of my partner. Kinda makes me feel spoiled but I also try to spoil him with stuff and food he likes, so guess it is ok?
      Idk I feel guilty all the time but usually he just does it.

9. Nobody who knows me would ever buy me a doll because I'm picky as hell. I've had people buy non-bjd dolls in the past and I didn't really take to any of them.

10. My boyfriend has bought me a head before (that was on sale), and plenty of accessories/wigs etc, think he contributed towards the body for the head he got me too... but he only gets them because I only ever want doll stuff for birthdays/Christmas, so he'll ask what I want and I'll give him the option of the doll thing I'm after, or I say I'll think of something else. 9/10 he goes with the doll thing since I want it most, and it saves him having to think :lol:

#330 LinkInMyHead, Feb 12, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    11. My boyfriend and I have been together for 18 years (very soon to be 19 years come this May), and we have gotten each other many dolls over the years. Early in my time in the hobby he loved taking photos of my dolls, but was kinda shy about them, and he worried he'd hurt one. So I got him an Obitsu girl so he could ease into how to handle the dolls with one of his own. The next year for X-Mas I got him an Iplehouse Luna, a doll he had been in love with for months, and had kept talking himself out of. For a little context he hates buying himself nice things he wants, but loves gifting others, so he'd have never gotten what is now one of his favorite dolls.

On the flip side of things for our ninth anniversary he got me (on layaway) a Soom Monzo full set every option. At the time it was the most costly doll I owned. One time talking about how he got me that doll at a con, a woman on learning how much the doll cost, got mad at her fiance cuz her engagement ring didn't cost as much as my doll. Me and my boyfriend still laugh over that.

He has gotten me dolls for a handful of holidays and reasons, and I likewise have gotten him a number of his dolls. Sometimes we pay each other back for cost sometimes it's fully a gift. For me I am super thankful that I can share this hobby with my partner, and that BJDs are something we can bond over and enjoy as a couple. And that we are ok in gifting each other such things, and that we know each other's tastes enough to do so.

12. I definitely said no for cost reasons, however my fiancee has ordered me a doll I had been wanting for a long time as a gift. I think it was extremely thoughtful of him to take note of who I wanted and he even asked for some customizations I had mentioned!

13. Well they would be welcome to, but only if it is a doll I like and would have gotten anyway, and only if I can involve in the ordering (my man knows about recasts and I've been informative, but illegal sellers are smart these days an can fool someone who is only "half inside" in the hobby.) I'm seriously trying to restrict the size of my collection as I do not have time to clothe them all. Therefore I couldn't justify him spending on a doll I didn't even originally want/need. Lucky for him, I have my eyes on a particular doll, but less lucky is that it costs over a grand.

It would be cool though if I ever have a liiiittle cheaper grail and my man decided to get it for me. I would want him to also decide the story for it and what style I'd make the face/clothes. In fact I do secretly hope my man would like dolls so we could do this together, but hey, I cannot help it. He just likes Porsche cars, racing and weird whiskeys, and I think he wouldn't be so happy if I gave him a doll. Of course he would pretend to be, but...

I have never gotten a doll as a gift or won one, so for sure it'd have its own feeling. At least when it comes to plants, I tend to like the ones I've been gifted by someone a lot more than the ones I just bought for myself. And I feel a thousand times more guilty if they die lol.

14. My ex was in the hobby too so we talked about dolls alot and she bought me my favorite doll. It bothered me a bit when we first split but that was many many years ago and its still my favorite. And recently my husband gave me the money to buy a doll since he didnt know how to order it for me. Both relationships were 5 plus years, anything less serious i would say no thank you.

15. I totally agree with you.

My exbf bought me a doll (that was like 10 years ago)and I ended paying every cent to him because I wasn't feeling very well with the fact of having something so expensive from him. I'm in a much different level of relationship with my husband and he supports all my hobbies and encourages them all. In fact, I had a bit of money saved from time ago and he pushed me to buy a BID on December because I was concerned about spending so much money in something selfish. But of course, it was my own money. I would feel touched if he wanted to get me a full doll, very sweet from him, but I would prefer spending that money on us, rather than on a doll.

16. I think as much as I love the idea I would feel guilty because dolls can be so expensive

17. We did nearly get a doll my husband wanted. He is not into dolls but when Volks and IOS released the Count of Monte Cristo fro the Gankutsuou anime he was pushing to get it. We ending up not doing so, but I imagine it'll be about the only time he wants a doll.
      It would be nice if he was interested in getting his own doll but it's not his lane.

18. My SO has always bought me unique items for combined special occassions without me even angling for them. He is extremely attentive to random things I tend to blurt out. For example I just randomly complained about this one item being sold out everywhere and no longer being available and before I knew it I had it in my lap. I am extremely spoiled in that regard.

He has gifted me several tiny dolls that I still love dearly. He knows I'm extremely picky and won't just randomly buy me a whole doll that I've never mentioned before. He did buy me a faceplate once that he really loved without me ever mentioning it. I was surprised because I didn't expect it in the least and it was a character I would have never picked but I have warmed up to it since then and wouldn't miss it for the world since it was a precious gift.

On the other hand I've often gifted him several expensive gifts and off-topic dolls as well so in that regard we often break even. We keep saying we'll stop gifting each other but everytime again he keeps surprising me and it only feels natural for me to return the favor. He never expects me to though and I never expect to get anything either so that's why it's always a surprise if something does pop up.

19. My husband has brought me doll related things as gifts, He has also given me money for a doll I wanted to buy from the second hand market.
      I've never recieved a doll as a surprise present we've always spoke about it before hand and I think I'd feel pretty guilty if he went out and brought me a very expensive new doll without my knowing and I didnt like it :sweat

20. My partner also have his doll... And to tell the truth, she is almost totally oppose my aesthetic style... but I still happy that my partner has something he like.

People tend to be happier when they have some active hobbies. As his partner I like to see him play and have fun in his hobbies as I do.

Some time I also buy stuff for my partner's doll, and he buy some for mine too:3nodding: