1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Say your Boyfriend/Girlfriend Wanted To Buy You A Doll,

Jul 30, 2012

1. It's less him buying me a doll and more us making a joint decision... It's both of our money. Now if he was to surprise me with one? I dunno. He doesn't ask me about the hobby too much; I think he'd hunt for info first, because he knows EXACTLY what it's like to be in hobbies where the "wrong thing" is easy to buy as a gift - comic books, collectibles. "No guys, I know I said I like Fantastic Four but I don't read this spinoff series", "Yes I love Ahsoka, but I don't really like the dolls from the Destiny series" etc.

Knowing him, there would be no reason to return anything, no "I didn't want this one", and no danger of getting recasts. He's never gotten me a gift I haven't liked.

That being said, he knows that we definitely don't have the money to buy something new, so he'd more likely simply work with me on secondhand shopping and help me stay in a budget.

2. I have not got a boyfriend, but I don't want anybody to pay for my doll. I am not a hardcore collector. I can be more happy if he want to make me a doll chair, or help me build a diorama, than buy a doll I don't need. My mom gave my doll plushies. My friend give me buttons and other things for sewing. I was overjoyed because I like small presents better. So if my future boyfriend want to give me something doll releated, he needn't to pay too much for it, to make me really happy.

3. I still don't have any chance like this, but if it happens, I might say "YES", especially when it's the doll I always dreamt for, and that person is really really love and carea about me a lot! :p

4. My husband likes to buy me nice things that I will actually treasure. So he’s pretty pleased that it’s easy to find something he’s sure I’ll like.

Before I got into dolls, he was always uncertain and shopping made him anxious. I don’t know why though. I have all the gifts he’s ever given me and I think they’re precious. But, he gets anxiety shopping for other people. It’s a big deal to him.

5. I’m single, but a girl can dream, right?

l would hope they would consult me first. I actually keep a spreadsheet of things in the hobby that I want or plan to buy - which may or may not get shared as a list of gift ideas. That said, I’d prefer they get me a tiny or head/accessories than a full doll! $500+ just seems extravagant and sets a gift precedent that I don’t think we would necessarily need.

trust me, I’m equally happy with new pairs of eyes or clothes!

6. Honestly, I didn't think I would meet anyone who would ever buy me a doll.
      I kinda figured if I ever found someone who really liked me for me that's all that would really matter.

I don't think I would want my bf to buy me something so pricey....so far he has found me a dollhouse, has bought me a Barbie and bought me a little Kelly doll so you never know he could happen upon something at a thrift store or Goodwill for all I know....the more he's around me the more he's going to be able to identify these thing so I wouldn't put it past him if he found something anyway.
      It's just nice being with someone that likes me for me, including my dolls.

7. My GF and I discuss dolls all the time so she would pretty much know which doll to buy. And vice versa. She would know if she saw a Fairyland FLAM head or Trinity Doll Kate to buy it quick, so I'm confident she would know exactly what to buy. Even if it were something I hadn't seen yet, she knows my tastes in dolls.

It's nice having someone who not only tolerates my dolls but is into them herself.

8. I would be very grateful because I know they're expensive and for someone to buy something such as a doll are probably very kind hearted and truly care about you.

9. My husband got me my dream doll for a wedding present. Traditionally the bride gets diamonds or something but I barely wear jewelry. He was relieved to get me something I actually wanted and didn’t have to spend hours researching it(like diamond clarity, color, ect), he went to the website and bam, done!

We share finances now so he doesn’t buy my dolls but he ok’s my purchases, in a way we both bought them. But my wedding doll is the very special one that came only from him.

10. Hi, 18 year old me. I’m 22 now.

The girl in question never got a job, nor got you a birthday present in 5 years, but my, was she good at promises. I do wonder if she still has all my event tinies, which I asked her to return, or the doll I bought her, which...is hers. For reasons I won’t discuss on a public forum, you’re not with her any more, you don’t surprise her with a ring, thank every deity that people pray to.

My current stance on partners and dolls is that my girlfriend pays rent. And bills. And groceries. And for her car, and I live at home and do none of those things. I also have expensive tastes(Twigling, Iple, Lillycat, soom’s fantasy bodies.) I can never rationalize asking for a gift from the girl I love that costs double her rent when our dollar sucks (Twigling is... a lot in CAD). And I would have to ask. She couldn’t pull the sites out of midair, and guess where I shop, because she’s not in the hobby, but likes my dolls. Currently, I think I’d have to be exceptionally selfish to ask for something like that from her. Someday, when we’re out of school and both have high-paying jobs, that might be different. I think I’ve grown up a bit since I was 18, when my ex told me all the stories about the things she’d do for me, and I believed them, to now understand what’s reasonable to ask for. I’m a little proud of my changing answers.

11. I haven’t quite experienced this exactly like the prompt, but my husband is constantly encouraging me to buy dolls if he also likes their aesthetic. He’s really into my tinies with me, and I think it’s the cutest thing ever!

12. .

#352 Gintsumi, May 30, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    13. I would definitely say no to such an offer. If they bought one as a surprise that I didn't like, I'd tell them, but as politely as possible. I'd then sell it on and give them the money back.

14. My partner bought me a doll as a birthday present once, but I did make sure he knew exactly which one to get, and it wasn't an expensive one. ^^; (it was Doll Factory Shikai)

I wouldn't want to have such an expensive gift without co-ordination to make sure it's right. Because dolls are one of those things, where it's very personal and tastes are unpredictable. I don't think I could accept a very expensive doll (even if I joke about it. Yes, it's very clear that I'm joking XD)

15. I currently don't have a partner but I'd imagine I'd have a lot of trouble accepting a bjd from a future girlfriend if she wanted to gift me one... I like to give expensive gifts, but I'm not very comfortable receiving them unless it's from my family.

16. I would be so excited.

17. I would be very shocked! My bf is so tight with money his wallet squeaks, but, he's offered freely to pay for some very, very expensive things for me and I've declined. He's helped me with vet expenses, bills and groceries when I was very ill, and that counts towards a lot. I don't know what I would do, but I would hope it was maybe something like an accessory or something specific I was hoping to find but just couldn't. I bought him a Figma for his birthday because he asked I not buy him any more clothes and a night out or weekend trip just wasn't possible. We're not big on gift-giving, so it would be such a shock if he bought me a gift and it was a doll. I doubt it will ever happen, which is okay.

18. i don't have a partner but one of the last dolls i got was a gift from my mom for my birthday. i think if its a special gift for a birthday or christmas like that one was i would be more comfortable with a significant other buying me a doll

19. Oh man, I think the hardest part for me would be them finding out how expensive they are! :whee:
      I think a lot of people would be very surprised to know how expensive the BJD hobby is. And then what if they end up finding a recast because they don't know what they're looking for? I guess you could ask what their price point is and then send them a list of suggestions to pick from so there is still the element of surprise and buyer's choice, but you know that you will get something you'll like. :evilplot:<3

20. I would be excited because it means they really liked me I try not to feel guilty for things people do for me because they wanted to.