1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Say your Boyfriend/Girlfriend Wanted To Buy You A Doll,

Jul 30, 2012

1. If my partner offered to buy me a doll as a gift, I think I'd cry tears of joy. He honestly has a fear of dolls (he watched Child's Play as a kid and it traumatized him) and he thinks they are way too expensive, so it would actually be a really sweet gesture. And no, I would never sell it, I would probably just tell him where to get the one my eyes are on currently :aeyepop::aheartbea

2. I also don’t have a boyfriend but answering anyways haha.
      I don’t think I would like them to buy me a full doll. To me that is just too big for a gift! As others have said, I would much rather a gift that is doll related than a full doll. Maybe they could set up a face-up with my favourite artist instead? ;)
      I have In the past received a gorgeous wig from a friend and even though it doesn’t really suit my characters I’d never sell it :)

3. I frequently ask my boyfriend if does wants to buy me a doll but he says NO everytime >< well I am joking mostly but if he could buy I woundn't say nooo :D :D

4. My husband bought me doll as a Christmas present two years ago, and offering to buy me another doll this year for my birthday present. I have a wonderful hubby :love

5. My husband does well financially now but, when he was my boyfriend he was just and poor student. I was the one with the full time job and would often pay for him. If he had bought me a doll I would have felt really guilty about it. I wouldn't have sold it or anything, but I would have felt the need to pay him back. And if he got me a doll I didn't like...well I guess I would have pretended I liked it haha :) However now that thing are different, I would actually be able to enjoy the gift and be really touched. He won't though, its just a nice dream haha.

6. I wouldn't say no if they wanted to buy me a doll. If he got me a doll I didn't like I'd still keep it. At least for awhile. After all it was an expensive gift. Eventually I'd probably trade it.

7. Definitely would say no as it’s an expensive hobby that I am used to but they shouldn’t have to pay for. If he really wanted to buy me something doll related I would ask for clothes!

8. No significant other at the moment, still hunting, still unsuccessful XD.

Joke aside, if it is only my hobby, something fairly expensive and not something the other person can use, I would rather buy it myself. That way, no regret if the relationship sours, no tying the object to the person, no guilt tripping, etc.

That goes for doll, jewelry, clothes, and all "typical gifts". (That said, I absolutely loathe useless expenses and cheap gifts for the only sake of giving, as I think it's useless, encourage consumerism, and is not a "proof of love", but only a proof that the person doesn't know me that well. The only things I would approve of are theater tickets, food and the picking of our common tab at the bar XD.)

9. Not to be cynical but I know some people who has received expensive gifts from their partners early on in their relationships, where the partner then turned out to be extremely manipulative and used the gift as a way to guilt-trip the other person to stay in the relationship. That of course doesn't mean that every person who gives expensive gifts has bad intentions, but I still think it's a thing to consider. I like to think that everyone has the best intentions, but when it comes to stuff like this I just don't want to risk anything.

But if it's a partner who I have been together with for a long time, who has proven that they won't use it against me, and I know I doll won't wreck their economy, then sure. Though I'm not good at accepting gifts in general without feeling guilty.....

10. I think that as long as it wasn't re-cast, I would be very happy with whatever my boyfriend got me... though I think I have him mostly trained not to spend THAT much money on me! I feel really guilty when people spend a lot of money on me.

Like... I want the thing, but also I am not worth the thing, you know?

But like... I feel like if your partner cared that much about you and your hobby, it would be worth it to keep that doll... to find a way to do stuff with your partner with that doll and use it as a way to connect further? This is something that they thought you would like. Something they bought while thinking of you... wouldn't it be fun to discover what parts of the doll are you, and what parts are them and their own tastes?

11. So as long as he isn't throwing himself into any sort of financial issues for me, I think it would be alright. Sure, I would definitely owe him for that, but I would be extremely appreciative of the thought!

12. My husband buy for me for xmas some dolls <3

13. My fiancé bought me a Minifee completely unprompted about 4 months into our relationship. I had taught him about recasts very early on, so that was never an issue. He just said one day, “alright, bring up Denver Doll, I’m going to order you a doll!” and then he did! He’s always shown an interest in my BJDs, but that was just so surprising, thoughtful, and generous of him. I was sort of blown away by it, especially since having someone so interested and supportive of my doll hobby was a stark contrast to my previous relationship.

14. If my S.O. ever decided to buy me a doll, I'd be floored and touched beyond reason. They are very scared of old fashioned porcelain dolls. So much so, they were initially wary of my doll collection when they first laid eyes on it. It was only after sometime did they grow an appreciation of the time and effort I gave my dolls and the results that it garnered. The odd thing, is that while I was attempting to re-home a doll I had bad blood with, they became enamored with her sculpt. I was a bit crest fallen, because out of all them. It had to be that one! Eh. So, I told them. I found a tiny version of her, if you can answer me for a design, I'll give something that will represent a truce and our bond. My S.O. was gifted with a Volks Yosd Mimi designed the way they wanted her to look.
      I will be honest and say I still am sour about the model, but because they love her so much, I tolerate her being around. I know what she means. That very thing is priceless.

15. If I was married to them i would be more willing to let them, but I would try to hit towards what I like. And of course if no money problems were going on at the moment.

If it was a regular boyfriend I would prefer them not to

16. I would say no, he just got a job after current world events put him out of work for a bit and he took a significant paycut... we're both college students as well, it just would feel right

17. I would love if someone wanted to buy me a doll but i would ask if i could pick it. You could also give them a few dolls to choose from kust to be surprised.

18. Nope for me. Unless he's gonna put a ring on me, I wouldn't go there. I love super dollfies and wouldn't want to associate any bad memories to them if I ever broke up with a boyfriend. Plus, this is an expensive hobby.

19. I would say no.
      It could lead to more trouble than it is worth. I don't think it is the sign of a good starting relationship. At the end of the day, a gift is money and should be treated as such.

It is a bit like accepting a drink, even a cheap one, and spending the rest of your life thanking the person, whether or not you wanted that drink in the first place.

AND from personal experience, it is a sign that the day/experience will be ruined by the person who wants to gift something. Usually, this kind of offer happens to me when the giver does not want me to make friends or lasting relationship with somebody.

So beware.

#379 Lilla, Sep 7, 2020
      Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
    20. I would say no. I have had multiple people over the years buy me dolls, and I don't like it personally. I always feel obligated to keep them and so far no one has EVER bought me a doll I actually LIKE. Even when I collected Barbies people bought me some, and they were never ones I would have bought for myself. I am grateful that they were thinking of me and wanted to gift me, but I would rather they didn't because I felt awful about it every time.