1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Scared of buying different colored resin dolls?

Mar 16, 2012

1. I really like pale skin, so my dolls are mostly white, yellow or pink skin. I only have one doll in grey, but I really like her. Mostly I don't have other skintones, because I didn't think it would suit the doll or some tan skinned or dark skinned doll wasn't to my liking.

2. Do you only buy one color of resin for your dolls? (only white, only normal, only tan etc)
      I only buy tanned skin dolls. I like the medium colors better, the darkest one I have is a Volks ebony skin. The others are way softer.

Are you scared or unwilling to buy outside of your usual resin color group?
      Yes, I'm unwilling to buy other colors because I know the ones I enjoy and like the most are tan skinned dolls. I have a normal skinned doll and a pale one, but those are my only exceptions. I don't bond with other colors. I like fantasy colors and they look great too!, but I'm unsure if I'd ever own one... I don't think I'd like to spend the money Soom (the company I'd buy fantasy colors from, if any) dolls cost if I'm unsure whether I'll like the doll or not.

Whether the dolls would look good together or just afraid of not liking it once you buy it?
      I think it's a mix of both... I want my dolls to look good together and I want them to look good when I take pics. If you mix white with tan skin, some pics will look awful (like a washed out white skinned doll or a too dark tanned one!). Besides, I like tan skin better so why change if I'm not sure if I'll like it? I prefer sticking to my likings (the ones I know for sure, I mean!) instead of trying out too many different things. I've already tried a lot and I know what's best for me, so if I'm not sure, I prefer not to buy it. Money's tight and I dislike the fuss of selling things *_*

3. I only owned white and normal for a few years. I tend to just get whichever of those is available at any given time. I was slightly intimidated when I first got my tan Limhwa Mano and it seemed super dark at first because I was so used to how pale NS and WS tend to be, but I'm quite used to it by now and wasn't worried at all about getting a doll in grey and getting Iplehouse's original real skin on the secondhand market (despite the fact that he was said to have already 'greened' significantly).

4. Nope. I can't say it's a subject that's particularly ever bothered me. I buy my dolls to fashion them after pre-determined characters, and as I like my characters to represent a wide variety of skin tones it works out pretty well that even amongst all my "normal" resin dolls there is still some variation. The only reason I am wary about white resin dolls is solely based on their yellowing factor, not because of their potentially looking strange among my darker dolls as my last previous white resin doll did yellow too quickly for my liking. Fortunately I only have one doll who need be THAT papery white and as the company I purchased him from didn't offer white resin I really had no choice but to go normal for him (ironically I notice he's actually the palest of my group so I'm pretty happy about that).

I have no problem dyeing my dolls different colors either as I have one who will be dyed brown as he wasn't offered in that shade, and another who I have already dyed gray. That being said I probably wouldn't buy another 'fantasy' resin color as my gray boy is my only exception as his character was intended for gray skin long before I got into BJDS and that color resin became so popular, and also I simply don't find non-human colored resin to be all that attractive.

5. Well most of my prospective dolls are going to be white... but I plan on getting one light brown doll to shell out a half-african character of mine. I would have no problem buying different colored resin dolls... though really the only colored resin I will ever get it tan, brown, ebony, or gray.

DIfferent colors like some resinsoul dolls... like the green and stuff... I'm not into... but that's aesthetic.

6. It all depends! Since most of the dolls I plan to buy are based on original characters, the resin colour has to be appropriate for their character and aesthetic. A lot of what I actually end up with is Volks compatible NS (I have a floating head problem), but I love tan and white resin as well. The only standard skin colour I tend to stay away from is normal yellow skin unless I need it for a resin match, because Volks NS is plenty yellow enough for me already.

Doll plans are something else to consider; if I plan to do significant modding I try to stay away from dolls with tan or darker resin, especially if I know the resin isn't coloured all the way through. I also tend to stay away from the more fantasy skin colours like blue, green or grey - not because I don't like the look of them, but again because I don't have a character specifically in mind to suit those colours.

Crobidoll does cast a really pretty Soft White for some of their limited releases, but you need to be patient and hope they'll release the sculpt you're after.

7. Wow! I'm not the only one!
      I think I'll only buy white skin dolls. Mostly because of the difficulties I would have photographing them together. The white one would be totally lost next to a normal skinned doll.

Also I am a bit goth and I like my dolls pale. Because if I dress them in cute, colourful clothes, they at least have the complexion to vouch for their gothiness xD

8. I like all different skin colors. I'm especially fond of the skin tone on Iplehouse's Benny. I also love white skin dolls, and regular skin. I like the color for french resin, but I know it yellows like no one's business.

9. I have this. The fear of bying something different from NS. I don't know what does this that I automaticly think about getting the Normal resin color. But I've been planning on buying a WS colored doll soon, and maybe try a dramatic face-up with it. Who knows.

10. Yes I am very scared of the color. One BJD I ordered was actually green. He's sitting unloved. And I never know which color is which. I collect mainly Iples but the only one I didn't order from their limited lines was Luo who is very white, but he works because he's a very handsome doll. Paleness seems to suit him and probably make him even more romantic.

11. My first two dolls were both WS and I planned to stick with that, mostly b/c I like the goth look...but neither stayed goth, so...that was pointless. LOL

I actually really like a variety in skin tones. My crew is pretty diverse and are all humans with realistic stories and having over 20 dolls, it just wouldn't feel realistic to me for them to all be the same color, and I'd find it quite boring if they were. I have WS and NS (pink, yellow and just plain NS) from quite a few different companies, a pink skin and a chocolate skin on the way. I have urethane and enviro and french resin.

I have some dolls that are VERY yellowed and some that aren't at all and everything in between. None of them have "greened" at all. Most of my WS dolls have turned a nice cream color, if they've turned at all.

The biggest thing that stops me from getting darker colored dolls has nothing at all to do with how yellowing might affect them or how they might "fit in", but the fact that darker colors are often limited and impossible to get. So, case of availability, not desire.

12. :) its awesome to know how people feel about this! Thanks all!

13. Terrified. LOL I'm sitting here at the moment torturing myself because I'm going to place an order with Iplehouse and I'm seriously stepping out of my comfort zone and ordering ---gasp---the peach/gold new color. Terrified that I'm going to hate it. I LOVE the light brown. Ended up getting a Real Skin, and he was a little too pale for my liking but I darkened him up a bit with some brownish pastels and he looks good. The peach/gold looks warm to me, and I think I'd like it but if it looks pinkish, I'm going to cry. LOL I don't think I'd like pink, or yellowish. I could handle a grey doll, or even a blue doll, but not white, pink or yellow. Glad there are other freaks out there like me.

14. Actually the main reason besides that I love RS Light Tan that I'm getting my doll in that skintone is because I have white OT dolls and I have to keep resetting my camera so they don't look like their glowing in photographs. I love white skin it looks so good in real life but on photograph's it looks soo pale.

15. I have two WS dolls, and 5 NS (both yellow and pink) and a grey skinned doll on laybuy. I think he's going to be a bit scary because he's 70cm (20cm bigger than my current biggest) and with a fantasy skin tone. xD;

I admit that I'm a bit scared of buying tanned dolls, even though I love the look of them because of horror stories about sanding them or them turning green.... Dx

16. My first doll was in NS, which came significantly pinker than in the display photos. However, when I got my first WS doll, I immediately preferred the WS, and for now only intend on getting WS skinned dolls to match the collection. It is a shame, because some sculpts are only available in NS, but them's the breaks I suppose.

17. I'm actually terrified of buying a white skin doll. I've never had one, and never liked the suuuuper pale paper white (reminds me of sickness/death), but recently I wanted two white skin DZ MSDs, and I'm waffling back and forth about even putting them on my wish list because I'm afraid they'll be so deathly and scary in person! I'm also very likely to never buy a doll in any fantasy colour (green, blue, violet, grey etc.). I doubt if I'd be able to really bond with a doll that looked so strange next to the rest! I Looooooove brown, tan and 'normal' resin though- I'm dying to get my hands on several ebony sculpts from Iplehouse and Dollstown.

18. @Teruchan: DZ has really nice WS. It's not printer-paper white... more of an off-white/cream white. I have a 1/3 Mo-B and a Loongsoul Emily in WS and they're pale, but they only look sickly if you paint them to look sickly.

I like trying different resin colors. I have cream white, gray, and snow blue. I love how the different colors mix with different faceup and wig combinations.

19. Oh yeah the tan resin yellowing to green....I heard somewhere a couple years ago about a girl's tan doll getting some major sun by accident and his nose turned green!

I don't think it's something to be worried about if you like how they look then maybe get an RS in tan and see how you like it?

Personally I can't wait to get my tan girl. I wanna half blame Emory from Jspot for uploading those pics because Mei already had her spell on me....The tan color sold it.

20. I haven't given this much thought, but reading this it dawned on me that all my dolls (3) are WS. I was pondering getting Tulipe (leeke mikhaila) in normal skin, but I ended up changing my mind in the last minute, and got her in Snow skin.

Ugh, now I will be all scared when planning the MNF I want to buy. I've been thinking normal skin all along, now I'm not sure anymore.