1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Scared of buying different colored resin dolls?

Mar 16, 2012

1. I think I have mostly NS dolls in my family, and if I have the option, I always prefer to choose it over white. I like my white skinned dollies, and it works for who/what they are (fantasy creatures) but WS doesn't look as natural for normal human dolls lol! It's sort of like a dividing line for my collection, WS=Fantasy NS=Human. I think NS is less noticeable when looking for "yellowing". My Ante and Cupid are the among the 'yellowest' of my dolls, but unless you put either next to fresh resin, you'd hardly notice. My WS Glati on the other hand... He's not really bad, but it's definitely noticeable!:sweat I'd never stray away from a specific skin colour just because of how it mellows/yellows over time; but I would avoid French Resin for that very reason (also not a fan of the translucency)
      I think have a healthy rainbow of skin colours aside from the standard white and normal, I like when I get to see a new/different colour in person! I love Leeke's Pure Rose colour; probably not to everyone's boat, but it's like a dusky-pale-grey/pink that varies from in the light~<3

Sometimes, I find that the detail can sometimes get lost on a sculpt if it's in a really bright colour, and coloured resins can sometimes be a challenge to photograph. I don't know if I'd ever buy a red/green/pink/purple/orange doll but it depends on the sculpt and how it's presented; (I never thought I'd own a blue doll until Carbon came out!) so never say never! :)

2. I don't really have much fear of yellowing/greening of my dolls. For one, it seems companies are making their resin more sunlight resistent than they used to. From personal experience, I set a tan doll in front of a bright, sunny window for two weeks before I'd heard anything about tan dolls turning green. The exposure did nothing to him at all. That was 6 months ago and he still looks good as new.

As far as different skintones 'fitting in,' my dolls are mostly based on characters whose race was already predetermined. The only slightly odd experience I'd have is when I ordered a tannish doll from Ringdoll for a Hispanic character, I discovered their 'tan' is pretty orange looking. Alone, he and his caucasion boyfriend look great. But when I compare my 'realskin' Barahan to him, the orange really stands out, because Iple House's 'realskin' is an actual realistic-looking tan. I don't really have any reason for those two dolls to 'hang out,' though, so I just keep them apart and Chris's orangeness doesn't really bother me. XD It's just kind of different from what I expected.

3. I started out buying just white skin dolls, mostly because there were only two options when I ordered them and I prefer the white skin to the pink. Its been great to see new colors of resin come out, especially Iplehouse's dark skin dolls and bobobie/resinsoul's bright colors. Now I have one in grey, one in blue, and a mint green on layaway. I'm still debating if I'd want a tan doll. I've seen some gorgeous ones, but on the other hand I figure if I'm going to go for color I may as well go all out and get something crazy.

4. Scared? No, not at all~ it actually gives me great pleasure to find just the right skin-tone for a character!
      I now have three different tones of white skin from different companies (one almost entirely white and the other two of a very soft very pale creamy hue), normal skin, luts realskin and expecting a milk chocolate tan skinned doll soon~ > v<

5. Any dolls I've planned out and that I'm waiting on have different skin tones. White skin, Normal Pink, and Normal skin. The differences in skin tone doesn't really bother me as long as it doesn't work for the character. I want to eventually get a tan doll down the line because I really like the look of it. The only thing that worries me would any major greening or something occurring, but at the same time it's not something I can stop from happening. I don't think there's anything wrong with variety at all so in my mind it's pretty normal.
      This would be the only kind of instance it might bother me if the character is supposed to be human, but there's always the possibility of compromise like Fin Raziel has done.

6. For me, I have many different colored skins but I have found myself sticking closer to NS and Tan. I do have a white skinned doll head but I plan on him getting a full head face-up (since he is an alien with green skin and the doll company didn't have green as a skin tone option). I do find myself shying away from the white skinned version of full dolls because I feel like it will make them too pale and I don't want my dolls to look like ghosts. I know there are ways to prevent that but I feel its just that I like Normal Skin option better. Its not that I'm 'afraid' of the color either its just like I said, I prefer it not. lol :D

7. My preference is toward white skins, but because I have dolls from different companies, the whites are different. I bought my Fairyland tinies in normal skin to give it a try and sold them back out within only a few weeks, I then replaced them in the white skin.

For whatever reason, I don't prefer normal skins. BUT, being an iplehouse fan, I DO want the darker skins. I have their normal skin and I don't particularly care for it. However, I really want their darker skins.

8. I used to only want tan dolls.
      but now I am afraid that the colour will be really ugly, like a jersey shore orange. or that the doll will have the most horrible seam lines and I won't be able to sand them! 0_0
      also, the tan offered by most company doesn't please me at all :sweat a bit too light and on the orange side for my taste xP (I like tan like soom chalco's brown and old supia tan)

I also really want an ebony Lahela from iplehouse, but I'm afraid, once again, of seams + how her faceup will look! I am afraid the colours will come out weird and/or that the sealant will make her head too white-ish .__.

9. I'm afraid of different colored resins because they yellow awkwardly; i.e. tanned resin yellows a green color.

10. At this moment I have only natural and white skinned dolls with my favourite being white resin because it reminds me of delicate china. I've been leery of tan skinned resin due to some irregularities on some sculpts. Which is probably ridiculous and in some cases totally unfounded. I have been intrigued by both grey and blue resin, but too afraid they will look completely out of sync with the rest of my collection. Yes, I do think I mentally struggle with this as well.

11. Not at all! I have a bbb sprite - white skin, and a rs Dai - grey skin and am waiting for a RS Gang boy - normal skin. So its a multicoloured household here :fangirl:. The challenge lies in finding colours of materials etc to go with my grey girl. Sometimes she tends to take on the colour eg if it is blue - she can look more blue, but it depends on the colours.

12. The first doll i bought was RD Sol in tan. After doing some looking around it isnt a dark tan and i really liked it better than white. To me white is really white. Good for a vampire but for a character i want to make them as real as possible. My second doll is in pink normal skin. I just prefur to have some colour. And if i dont end up liking it you sadly learn from the hard way, but at least you would know. I like to try all sorts :)
      You only live life once ^^ dont be scared to try new things.

13. I have one WS and one NS and they seem to be fine standing next to each other. I really like white skin, but I also like tan dolls and would like to own one someday. So given the options I'd probably like to have more white skin dolls, but I don't mind if the only option is NS

14. I owned various normal skin dolls before I decided to get one in white skin. It was fine and dandy with me; my first doll from Dream of Doll, although normal skin, was so pale and pink it could very well have been white anyway. On the other hand, I was apprehensive of buying a tan doll for a while, but I went ahead and got a real skin Lion from Iplehouse..and since then I've fallen in love with the color. I like having the versatile collection.

15. I have two peachy coloured dolls, one white skinned, and one pink-skinned. As it turned out, the pink-skinned one looks more peachy coloured than anything, but I was fully prepared for him to be very pink. I would love to have a variety of doll colours by the time I finish amassing the army. The variety of skin colours make it interesting to pick wigs and eyes for dolls even though I've done it so many times already.

16. I've been looking for a dark resin doll but I'm always terrified. I've seen others dolls but they are always light tones. This would be my first and with all the talk about marbling and seams I'm too scared. It'd be my first baby, I don't want to be crushed in disappointment and have no clue what to do from there.

17. I'll admit to being a bit afraid to order a light brown doll from Iplehouse. I really want a pretty Arabian girl, and quite a few pictures of the light brown skin look like they'll match my hopes exactly. The other half look much more chocolate, and too dark for what I'm looking for. So she keeps getting moved down the list, as I really am afraid that I'll order her and be disappointed.

18. I find that really odd. People aren't all the same colour, and we all seem to look fine together, why should dolls be different?

19. I have a blue doll and would love to get some more odd coloured dolls in the future (especially green) but I probably would only stick to getting Tinies in odd colours so that they don't look too out of place with my group.

Besides having blue, I have NS and WS. I'd also like to own a tan doll one day. Maybe even grey too.

20. The only one I tend to stay away from is dark tan/darker skinned dolls. They're just not attractive to me at all.