1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Scared of buying different colored resin dolls?

Mar 16, 2012

1. I think the light brown would be perfect for your arabian girl! My Isar is light brown and her skin is exactly the right color for that.

I was worried too, since my first doll was a Light Brown Isar from iplehouse and they have those warnings up about the marbling and seams, but if there is marbling on my girl, it's microscopic! And while she does have seams, they're not so bad. They certainly don't detract from her beauty at all. :D

2. I was only planning on having 3 dolls at first, my first would be a "starter" doll, a YoSd, and he's normal skin [because that's all they offered] and the second, a white skinned doll. I got the NS doll and the WS head almost at the same time and they are pretty similar. And I was ok with the WS until I started reading all those stories about it turning green or yellowing really fast and not looking good, I got quite nervous! But now that I've heard other stories about a lot of people with beutifuly yellowed dolls, that fear is starting to dissapear.

At first, I wanted that third doll to be a tanned skin, but for many reasons I've decided he is going to be normal skin. First of all, the company I wanted his body from, has a really inconsistent tan color, second, It is going to be a hybrid, and I finally found a perfect head that I can't get tan, finally, tan skin is much more expensive. So yeah, I'll just blush it to make it look a little darker.

I'd love to have a dark sinned doll, or even a gray doll, but really there is no room to experiment, I don't plan on having many dolls, the most I might get are 4, maaybe 5. But they're all white skinned and pretty "normal" [so no weird colors like blue or green]. Sadly they also have pretty normal bodies [I love dolls with interesting body shapes]. But oh well. It seems hard for me to bond with just a doll and trying to create a personality, I need to have a character I love and THEN make it a doll.

3. I had always gone with NS dolls and then in 2004? 2005? I got a Hypermaniac Gye-Do which, compared to my others, was white. For a long time I didn't like him because he made my other dolls look so yellow by comparison.

I was particularly uncertain about Iplehouse's RS and tan because of the 'greening' but I haven't seen any greening of my own even in I, one of the earlier RS dolls. I am not sure if I could choose between their RS and LB because I love them both so much (I have Lahela in both colors and I had intended to
      sell whichever I didn't like but I love both.)

And then, at some point, I fell in love with Volks Miruku, so I got an actual 'white' doll. She was followed by WS SWD Nana and Lieselotte. And then there are the CW Sooms.

One thing I have found, however, is that certain dolls don't look good together, either because of resin color or realism (Iple and Volks 'clash' imo) so my dolls are sort of segregated by 'type', and displayed together with others of their 'type'. This means I end up having a 'Volks white' cabinet, a 'Hyper' shelf, an 'Iple' corner, a 'Soom' section, a 'KW' couch and a 'tiny' army. For some reason tinies don't seem to look bad with tinies of other kinds. I guess kids of all sorts just get along better.

In short, I was reluctant at first to experiment with different colors, but now I love the diversity of my collection!

4. I have always been Normal skin versions only. But since even that has changed from a warm tone, to a slight pinkish white I have beenm more open to even WS and up. My Dollshe boys are pretty much every skin tone dollshe makes except ebony.

5. Eh, not scared, I think that would be a weird word for how I feel. I've had dolls from different companies and their skin tones always vary. I've had normal skin dolls from both B&G and Fairyland and they were completely different. B&G had a more yellow tone than fairyland with the laters being more pinky toned.

However different skin tones are giving me a pause right now. I'm planning another doll and I'm torn between white or normal. But this is because I'm not sure how much of a variation his skin should have with my WS Luts girl.
      So if two dolls' characters are very closely related, I stop and think more than other dolls, but I'm not afraid of skin tones. It all changes over time (albeit slowly) anyway so it's not something to get upset over.

6. At first, I only wanted WS dolls because I prefer the look of pale skin - I think face-ups stand out more. After buying a NS doll (CD Lance), I realized that what most doll companies consider "normal" is still quite pale. Due to the yellowing issue, I now only purchase NS dolls unless WS is the only one available. I've been tempted by some tan dolls, but I do worry that they wouldn't fit in with my others.

7. I am something of a Volks WS addict, but just recently I bought my first NS doll! She has yet to arrive so I'm a bit nervous. It is strange reading about how many people are scared of WS because of yellowing. I can't speak for other companies (the only 'greening' I've heard of is in old old Luts dolls, not their recent ones) but Volks WS does not yellow any more than NS that I've seen. It just warms up a bit, and looks more natural. I actually prefer the way WS yellows to NS which starts to look a bit 'olive' once the pink dies down. My preference for WS over NS is that I like to dress my dolls in an antique style, and WS looks more like bisque/porcelain whereas NS reminds me of fashion dolls.

I don't think I'd ever buy a tan or unnnatural coloured doll, I would constantly be worried about the colour fading/changing/chipping etc :S

8. So far I only buy white dolls. But I know I will own a tan and a grey skin doll one day. Sadly I can't stand normal skin next to my white skin dolls, it just doesn't look right... That's why my NS impulse buy PukiPuki will have to go or get tanned...

9. Do you only buy one color of resin for your dolls? (only white, only normal, only tan etc)
      I would say no....so far I have a DZ tan, iplehouse ebony, angelsdoll Vivid, alot on "normal" skin dolls and the resent Aidolls batch (I would say that they are pretty white skin)

And are you scared or unwilling to buy outside of your usual resin color group?
      No, I look at the photo of the doll and deside if I want that or this resin color on them. Sometimes I gamble, but I have not regreted it yet.

Whether the dolls would look good together or just afraid of not liking it once you buy it?
      The feeling that I might not like the doll is there when I buy, un related og the color of the resin.

I usually place my dolls in diffrent era's and settings. For example: Anastasia (iplehouse benny in ebony) is in the early regency era, so is Bibbi (DZ shoyo in tan)...and neither if them is the "classic" beauty of that time. Naira (Ai doll Sia) is with her pale skin is a classic beauty of the renaissance, with Venus (Ai doll Iriya) beeing her counterpart as a gisaeng.

10. I wouldn't say I'm scared but I've definitely become attached to the white skin, I love the pale look. However an abnormal skin color but the sculpt would have to be perfect.

11. I only have one doll and she is white skinned, so that is the only skin color I have ever seen in person. I would be very nervous to order another skin color without having seen the color in person.

12. My first dolls were light tan Resinsouls, I love this colour as it's like normal human skin colour and I wish it was default colour for more companies. 'Normal' skin colours are way too light for me really, and I'd never willingly choose white skin over tanned, unless there was ONLY white skin available for a sculpt I really, really loved. I love DiM sculpts and have ordered two, but I really REALLY wish there was a choice in resin colours, because it's too light for my tastes, which annoys me. I'm too scared to try dying though, even though I'd probably be much happier with the colours then.

What I am scared of is that next to my original dolls, they new ones are going to make my Resinsouls look quite dark skinned, but they're just a pale human colour!!!

I want a darker tanned doll, once I find a company who does dark tan in a sculpt I like. Like I said, I like human skin tones, not fantasy colours which I consider white and 'normal' (hah normal my ass) as. Really not a fan of blue, green, pink etc, it's just not to my tastes. I don't even like unnatural colours in hair. Unnatural eyes I can cope with a little better though lol.

I wish so badly there was a bigger range of realistic skin colours.

13. Doesn't scare me at all. o_0 Actually, I find it kind of exciting. I sort of want a "rainbow" collection. :P

14. I like to keep my dolls as realistic as possible, so white skin (specially paper white) is not a color I'd ever consider. I do like light tan skin (iplehouse light tan is beautiful!) and I'd even consider owning a green or blue doll, if they fit the character; but I'd never own a white skin doll... for some reason although I do find them quite lovely, I just can't stand owning one myself. Weird doll racism I think...

15. I have normal, white, and tan dolls. I also want to get a french/enviro resin doll sometime. I really want a fantasy gray doll sometime too.

The only issues I've had are that I think face-upping white skin is the hardest. I think tan skin is easier to do face-ups on.

16. I thought I was the only one!
      So far I've only bought the normal skin colour.. I highly considering getting my first SD in white but I'm pretty nervous about the whole thing, I'm afraid she'll look like a vampire or something :sweat

17. i think it's kind of always scary and thrilling when something new comes out, specially since this is internet and you cannot go and admire the stuff in person. i admit that white resin scared me in the beginning, i thought my doll would look like a ghost and when she finally came, mom said, "she is so white, i don't think she would look with a black wig :( " but after i tried it on her we all liked her. iam kind of confused about what tone of skin to order for my arvid, he is supposed to look darker than her, but i don't want the difference to make him look more realistic while she looks like a ghost XD, so i have to be very careful when i go to order him, i really love ipple's realistic skin tone...as a matter of fact i think iam going to go ask for someone to post some pictures of both skin tones together later so i can compare lol

18. I looove different coloured resin! I have dolls in Normal (flesh tone), tan, blue, and "normal yellow". I now have another blue dolly on my wish list.

19. I want a doll in tan but I'm scare too because I don't want an orange tan or too dark, I want the color of suntan natural, I will buy soon a boy Tan but I stress! I love the normal skin dolls and I have only one White, I don't want more in white, she turn a little yellow...

20. Usually owner pictures are the best way to tell what kind of 'tan' a company makes. I have mellow light browns, through to darker and more orange browns in my collection and they're all lovely in their own way, but yes, I do suggest having a look to see what kind of company tan suits you best. Personally for a 'natural' tan, anything in Volks sunlight (which is quite pale) or Iplehouse realskin is usually a good bet. I also find Dollzone tan very pleasant.

As for my own answer:

Do you only buy one color of resin for your dolls? (only white, only normal, only tan etc)
      No, I don't buy just one, however I do limit myself to certain skintones just out of personal preference. I am a self-confessed tan addict. I love tan dolls immensely. I also have a lot of normal skin dolls. The reason? I like my dolls to look like normal people... and most normal people aren't paper white (and the only time I would concede is if the character were albino). I don't know, I also am not fond of the drastically dark ebony colours, even though I love tan dolls (though Soom's deep brown slightly swayed me.. but not enough to buy it). It's really just my preference for my collection and that's about all I can say about it.

And are you scared or unwilling to buy outside of your usual resin color group? Whether the dolls would look good together or just afraid of not liking it once you buy it?
      I would say for me it's unwillingness. I know what I like. I've tried a white skin doll once, I couldn't handle the colour so I had to sell it on. I'm wary of buying an ebony doll, simply because I don't feel I'd really like it. Fantasy colours don't look 'human' - so I don't really go for those either. In general, it's just that I know what I like skintone wise and I tend to stick to it so I don't waste my time or my money (and have the hassle of reselling the doll when I realise I don't like it).