1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Scared of buying different colored resin dolls?

Mar 16, 2012

1. Scared... Well, to be honest, I'm a little scared of ordering tan skin, even though I love the way it looks. I think all of the "instead of yellow, it turns green" comments scared me out of buying it. But I've got dolls in white, normal and normal yellow colors, and they look as any group of friends would look. I mean, all of your friends have differently toned skin, so it's the same with dolls.

Colored resin it's probably a pain while removing seams, because, well, you can't really sand it. But I actually got a few doll sets planned that will need different resin colors (weird colors...). And if university allows me to, I'll be buying them for sure. University consumes my moneyyyyyyyyy... And time too (slightly out of topic, that comment... I hope you'll forgive my despair ;D)

2. I agree with this sooo much. School eats up so much of your money! Colored dolls can be expensive anyway and college can gnaw at dolly savings!! D: At the same time, I do think that it would be awesome to have a colored doll. I've been wanting a blue fairy or something like that! The idea of discoloration/imperfections does worry me a bit,but it's a risk that you have to take if you want a doll in a color other than plain white. I LOVE the look of tanned skin dolls or some fantasy colored dolls when done right. I think it would be worth it get one, despite the complications that come with colored resins.

3. I actually LOVE seeing pictures of other people's collections that have similar styled/sized dolls with different skin and hair colours. It reminds me of an adorable cast for a kid's TV show or something similar. So personally I think different skin colours look great together.

I personally like realistic dolls, so I wouldn't get fantasy coloured and would probably stay away from white-skin too but I love various shades of normal/light tan and dark tanned skin.

The one thing that doesn't click for me is the ebony skin tones, I think they tend to just be too dark for me, I would probably prefer more of an African mixed-race tone than the super dark look. I'm probably just not used to seeing the skin colour in my real life on either dolls or people as in Australia we have very few people of African descent.

4. I'm more into lighter human skin tones and I prefer normal skin over white, but I let my husband pick out the skin tone on my dolls since he pays for them (generally goes for white skin). I have one light tan doll and I absolutely love his skin. I would buy more tan dolls if more companies had quality tan resin.

I'm not too big on fantasy colored dolls but I wouldn't be entirely against owning one. I bought a pair of gray hands a while back too see if I'd ever be interested in a gray doll....I would definitely love to have one. I might consider a lavender doll too.

I prefer buying second hand and "IN STOCK" dolls because I don't really have to worry about color choices that way.

5. I don't like white because their yellow color:(

6. I'm still wary of snow white skin tone. I've had a white skin tone doll come to me all ready yellowed in blotchy patches all over. Put me off trying to keep any skin tone other than natural, though I would try a tan skin doll.

7. I personally love WS dolls but I'm waiting for 3 normal skin and 1 peach gold skin dolls...for 2 of them I had the option of choosing white or normal. I chose normal because I wanted something different and to tell the truth, sometimes I wonder if I made the right decision, especially with the Peach Gold skin one....let's see when they get here^^

8. i buy a doll that i like and find attractive, no matter what the skin color, but i tend to have a like for pale skin though....its just what appeals to me, but i'm open to them all

9. I love having dolls of all different resin colors! I have white skin, normal skin, peach gold skin, special real skin, light violet skin, and I plan for tan and ebony in the future. I think it looks very realistic having dolls of varied skin colors and very beautiful too. People in real life seldom have the exact same skin color. It gives a more realistic appearance, in my opinion.

10. All of my dolls are normal skin o.o I thought I was the only one that felt this way XD I actually just ordered my first white skinned doll, and I've thought about a fantasy-colored one, but geez! There's so many choices! I feel like normal is safe.

11. I think it all depends on the purpose of the doll in your collection. If you want your dolls to look like family then I could see sticking to one resin tone. I'm running into the same issue when thinking about my next doll. Since I want my next doll to seem like my current doll's sister, I will most likely buy her with the normal resin tone. I really do like the brown skintones too and I think I will get one eventually.

12. Thank you for your advice! It already has been a good moment since I look for an island doll tan, but very few persons possess one and on the photos it's or very orange or dark, on no photo the tint is alike, but I really want a doll of this company for their body so perfect to my taste. :)

13. My dolls will predominantly be ordinary natural colours but I plan on getting a few different colours for some of my fantasy characters. I know I definitely want a Sky Blue RS Mei, and probably at least one grey doll and a purple doll too.

But I'm certainly more cautious when thinking about coloured resin, I'm more hesitant and have to see way more pictures in various lighting settings and in resin comparisons before I decide that I'm content with that colour and add it to my wishlist.

Are there companies other than RS/BBB that offer these colours? I've only really heard of them readily offering these special colours.

14. Well I have snow white hands, so now I am going to buy a snow white doll to go with those hands. At this point in the game I am not to worry about color changing. If it change's it change's I really don't think that there is any thing I can do to stop it.

15. Nope,I am quite content to own all the colors of the rainbow. XD
      At the moment I only have a Bobobie Apollo in Lilac (Which I've dyed to have a pink-ish purple color) but I plan on getting several other dolls in a variety of colors. ^^

16. I used to think I only wanted either white or normal skin tone. But as I am getting more into the hobby I am starting to want a few dolls that are dark blue or a dark brown color. After seeing them in person at doll meets it really makes me want to get some like that!

17. When I was placing my first Volks FCS MSD through the DOA MP.. I was set on the white skin tone, because I wanted to dress her up in certain fashions that would work well with that skin tone.. until I found out that Volks offered Sunlight :fangirl:

I was already fixated on my first girl, & there was no way that I was going to bump her because Volks offered a skin tone that was closer to my own.. but I was tinkering around on the "Creating Dreams - Volks FCS" site until I had her worked out to the way that I wanted her & as soon as I had saved up.. I made another FCS order. Talk about :aheartbea at first sight when I pulled back that pillow !! :)

To this day I don't know how I talked myself into going with a normal skin doll.. but it looked good on paper.. & she was lovely when I saw her in person.. but I just did not feel that connection :...( So I ended up finding her another home with someone that really wanted her.. & so far I've never bought another normal skin tone doll.

18. Nooo, variety is the spice of life. I have one Luts tan and a Luts NS, A Soom NS (which is pretty much the same) two Iple NS which is very, very pale. A Iple Realskin, which is a light tan and an Iple Peach gold which is very pink compared to other dolls.

I say got for it, obviously you have to be a little more careful with tan dolls, but if you're confident and you love your dolls it's no problem looking after them.

19. I go with what suits the character. I have tan (light and dark), 3 different greys, blue, red, WS, rose white, NY, peach skin and I've had a WS doll dyed pitch black. The only colour I'm iffy on is the NP tones and that's just because I hate the colour pink with a passion. Not terribly rational as the resin isn't baby/bubble gum/neon pink (in general) but I just can't stand the colour pink.

I would like a green doll but I currently don't have a character with green skin that could be shelled as a doll. I do have an idea for a doll with mottled green and blue skin, but I'd want the resin actually coloured/marbled that way.

20. I'm still a newbie-newb in the hobby and most of my guys are NS. Generally my skin tone choice is based on whether or not I think it enhances the sculpt and if I'm inspired to character build. My hope is to have a blended resin family so I'm not afraid of different resins not looking good together (yet). I'm looking forward to adding WS and ebony/browns to round out the flavours...

The one fear I do have is around darker resins (tan, brown, ebony, etc) and that I may not like the undertones. I would be afraid that they would end up looking too much like they had a "fake tan", have too much yellow, red or be darker than shades I see in real life. I'm from California and really familiar with seeing all shades of people, including "fake tan"...lol. I tend to like more realistic/stylised sculpts so if the tan/brown isn't right - I would be distracted. That said, I fell in love with the Granado Chaka in sunshine skin and waiting on him to come home... It would be heartbreaking if the resin was a distraction. I actually wimped out and didn't opt for the chocolate because I wasn't confident about the tone. Total lame sauce...