1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Scared of dolls!

May 19, 2016

1. First of all, I want to say your husband must be a really patient guy to be able to allow something like this even though he has a legitimate fear. As a child I was terrified of dogs until I had to stay after school with a neighbor that had a dog when my mom started working part time. That helped me get over my fear of dogs so hopefully your husband gets over his fear of dolls and can become another male in the hobby... we're under represented =P

That being said, being a male in a relationship with a female, it wasn't really an issue at all with my partner getting into the hobby. She loves them too and probably would have more of her own if she had a good, full time job somewhere (we do own one jointly). I was more worried about what my mom would think honestly... but I think she's finally accepted the fact that I'm not really the typical guy stereotype xD

Also, it's cool that you're into RC cars too. I have a few Mini-Z cars myself and from time to time I get to race them though the local community isn't highly active anymore :(

2. I don't really get the whole "fear of dolls" thing, tbh. :x When I was growing up, my dolls were my beloved playmates; now, they're my art victims- I mean, um, masterpieces! But scary? Not at all. The thought never even occurred to me that they COULD be until I started reading some of these threads. They're just my harmless little plastic babies. They aren't real, and they aren't alive- but if they WERE, they'd be sweet and precious, like my cats, my dog, and everything else I've raised. We do sweet here.

3. My Husband has 3 BJD of his own, so that's not a problem, but we do have a friend who won't visit any longer because of the dolls. Another acquaintence visited once, spent the whole time facign the dolls because she was so creeped-out she didn't want them behind her or out of sight, and hasn't been back since.

EDITED TO ADD:
      My eldest sister has never liked dolls of any sort ("They make me think of dead babies") but has been quite positive with my BJD, regarding ghem more as "works of art," than as dolls.

Teddy

4. I've had some people express to me how creepy my dolls are and how weird the doll hobby is. I tend to remind them that people have WAY CREEPIER hobbies than this one. I don't display them when friends are in the house (that's mostly to keep them out of the sunlight though since I have windows in my room that are open blinds usually). But I totally get the fear of dolls thing. I used to avidly watch old Japanese horror movies, and THOSE are dolls that could creep anyone out.

I also tell them that I'm collecting a hoarde to set up around my room so that a burgular would think twice about setting foot in there. I want them to fear the cuteness.

No one asks questions after that. :cool:

5. Ha! I do the same thing -- my walker dolls (~39" tall) make good deterrents, I think.

I've also got a couple of friends who won't come back to my house unless I promise that all the dolls are closed up somewhere out of sight -- I had no idea that adults could be terrified of dolls, but apparently it's a common fear! I can...almost..understand it with the walker dolls, but the BJDs?

6. My husband finds Victorian type dolls creepy, and wouldn't have those in the house, fortunately i have never been a fan of them either. Luckily no one i know is afraid of BJD's not even the vampire ones so that is good.

I have arachnophobia and some years back my mum bought a tarantula which i was very unhappy about. However after being in its company quite often when visiting my mum i actually became less afraid of spiders in general. so you never know, being around the dolls may help your husband to be less afraid of them.

7. Luckily no one close to me has a problem with them! I've had a couple acquaintances/less-close friends call them creepy but that's about it, lol. My boyfriend thinks they're cool and my friends ask how they're doing from time to time :whee: I'm really grateful for the acceptance tbh.

8. My husband is very supportive my parents not so much. I tend to put my dolls away when they visit. Which is stupid because I am an adult, living on my own and been married almost half my life to the same person.

9. Some of the guys I table top game with are a little unnerved. I get teased all the time about it by them, but it's nothing hurtful(I'm the first to make the "I've seen this episode of Criminal Minds" joke). They aren't collectors of much so it in general something they don't get. My other guyfriend likes them as art pieces.

My brother was a little creeped out by my porcelain dolls when he was younger, but the BJDs don't bother him. Mostly because they get played with. Mom thinks they are cute...well, when I'm not working on them. Being in pieces makes her a little creeped out, and she would be scared if they looked like Chuckie.

#29 Sosogomi, May 24, 2016
      Last edited: May 24, 2016
    10. I am not comfortable with clown dolls, even the little ones in Jack-in-the-box toys. The movie Poltegeist sealed the deal, as I have always found clowns insincere, their painted faces at odds with their real emotions.

11. I have a close friend who is like that- terrified of "realistic" dolls. I found this out when I showed some face ups to ask for his opinion, he was fine with the DDs, so I thought this would be fine, and I was shocked at how he reacted! Other than the realistic dolls, though, I don't think I've heard of anyone who is "afraid"of the dolls. Weirded out a bit, sure, but not afraid.

12. Omg, this post relates to my sis. Ever since she watched chucky when she was a kid, she has phobia whenever she sees my doll. She always wake me up in the middle of night and said to me, that my doll and figurines are watching her lol.

#32 Sangz, Jun 1, 2016
      Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    13. My roommate (and sister) has pediophobia. Every since I told her about my long running interest in bjds, she's been super supportive. She's even talked about possible getting her own which is a huge step forward from last year. When I first started with the hobby, we set a couple guidelines for the dolls as a whole:
      • They need to primarily stay in my room, especially when I'm gone
      • No eyeless heads. That was the main thing that creeped her out
      • No random, spare body parts on the kitchen counter
      Honestly, when I first brought it up, I assumed she wouldn't even want them in the apartment. Since everything we agreed on was stuff I intended to do anyway, it was no big deal.

14. Luckily my family aren't afraid of dolls. I have been collecting since I was 3 so the dolls were here before they were.
      My parents and aunt collected dolls before me.
      I have some really bad phobias...probably need therapy..lol. So I respect others phobia's.
      But my dolls are everywhere so a pediophobe couldn't visit.

15. I've never been scared of dolls I've always loved them but.....there was this one doll that I was afraid of it was a really really scary doll it used to know I didn't like it so I gave it away to a neighbor it was a porcelain doll really big fat scary one.

16. When I was younger while I was not afraid of dolls I found many to be a bit unnerving. It toke until I got older to realize it was there eyes and that was connected to an issue I have with people as I can't look at a person who is talking to me straight in the face when there talking to me, since looking at them caused the same unnerving feeling. I don't get this feeling from most bjd. There is one doll I get creeped out by is this antique buddy lee doll my mom puts out every once in a while, no matter how long I'm near it I still find it creepy.

17. Some partners can be so amazing!!! I admire partners who do their best to accomodate their significant other. Yay for them!!! :cheer

My hubby isn't affraid of dolls and thankfully he is very supportive. :D

18. I had one friend in college who would come over from time to time mostly because he was better friends with my roommate and they would play video games together. Or other times he would simply come over so all of us, myself, roommate, suite-mates, and other friends could go out. Every single time he came over, he made a comment about how creepy my dolls were and how they scared him. After a few times, it got really annoying to constantly have my hobby berated. I can understand people being creeped out by something, but that really doesn't give you the right to come into someone else's space and be rude.

#38 maykoh, Jun 5, 2016
      Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    19. My closest friend is extremely creeped out by dolls in general. She doesn't mind if I talk about them, but she asked me to not show her any as that makes her very uncomfortable. I just make an effort not to show her any on purpose, as she respects that this is a hobby that I am into, that she will be seeing them every once in a while by accident.

20. Luckily, I've had nothing but acceptance with my hobby! (Although I'm still very new to it, so perhaps this may change as more around me know about it.) My younger cousin is so fascinated by the hobby, and I plan on getting her a starter doll for her birthday. (Most likely a kit for a Jun Planning doll.) My girlfriend is also interested in the hobby and has picked a doll out for herself! (Leekeworld Mikhaila) Very excited for them both!!

Still... If I were dating someone that had a genuine phobia, I would do my best to try to accommodate them or even assist them in gradually overcoming their fear. I would only hope that they could still support my hobby, just as I would support theirs. :aheartbea