1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Scarring dolls. How come? Curiosity...

Dec 20, 2006

1. It's so much fun X3 That's why I carved up my Chiwoo, Henry.

In terms of why I chose exactly his mods - I knew I wanted to do a heavy-duty full-scale head modification on a doll, because I really wanted to jump right into the world of modding. And I chose his zombie-ish appearance because of a type of creature I created several years ago.
      Henry is a Chiwoo, which is an inherantly sweet, cute, happy mold. Un-cute Chiwoos always surprise me a little. So offsetting that cuteness with such visible open wounds... I wanted people to doubletake and have to look twice and maybe even wince and shudder, but to be able to find him 'cute' as well, because he has a sweet face despite his wounds.

My next two zombies area bit different. One will have scarring/wounds on his head... but isn't as 'cute'. I want him to have an attitude of not caring how others percieve him. He already seems like a smart-alec to me, and I haven't even given hima faceup :'D
      The other will only have scars under his clothing, and he hides them with long sleeves and long pants. He doesn't want his wounds to be the first impression people get of him.
      With both of these dolls, they're getting gruesome mods because I love the creature they're based on... and really, really enjoy taking a dremel to resin XD It really is ridiculously fun.

2. Hm... Tallon has words carved into his back, they were put there by his blind brother. I suppose why is because it's an important piece of his history/story, without it he wouldn't be himself. I could of left it off or merely added them on instead of actually carving them into his back, but it it's important to me that his scars to are true to him.

As for other forms of scarring, well my opinion has already been stated by many others so I won't put it.

3. I don't have any scar dolls but I plan on having my Stevv be one. It will be carved into the resin and I don't plan on selling her so it won't matter to me. I think it's just apart of their character. She is going to be my tattooed maven and her personality is one of anger and harshness. She is going to have the words "What goes around comes around," on her thigh. ^_~ A tribute to those that have made her life hell and used her.

4. Most people don't think scars are "cool", or fashion acessories. They usually have to do with a doll's character or past. Karrian has a nasty scar over his eye because of something his father did to him, but he won't give me any details.

5. Well, I don't have my doll yet (but I'm getting close!!), but I really think I would be too scared to carve into him. ;~; I think it's great that people love their original characters or characters from books/movies/anime/whatever! so much and are so loyal that they are more than willing to carve their doll. =) And some of the scarring that people do are very, very realistic and add amazing originality to their dolls!! OwO But if you don't want to do that, there is always painting of course. xDDD

6. Again, for me it's the backstory thing.

I've got one doll that's got some scars where he was branded by a woman who, for lack of a better term, owned him. She was lecturing, got angry, grabbed the poker out of the fireplace, and stabbed at him with it. There are two scars - one on his arm where he raised his arm and defended himself, and one on his chest. The end of the poker was decorative (a fleu de lis) because that's the kind of society/environment the lived in, and the scars reflect that. They were likely far more ragged when he first got them, but they were healed in such as way that they're pretty clear now. They're the only physical signs, when you look at him, that he spent over a thousand years as a slave. It's not something that was done because it was beautiful, or anything like that - they're symbols of what his society does to those it considers 'lesser' than the rest.

One of my planned dolls with have a scar that will (yes, I know it's cliche, but I'm still doing it) bisect his right eye, which will be blinded. I don't know if I'll ever even get him, but if I do I'll have some serious modding to manage. He's lived on the rough edge of society for a long time, and that's one of the scars he's picked up in his profession as a hired killer.

I have a YoSd who is also going to need some heavy scarring, but I'm still working out the best way to apply it. His house burned down - nothing special, it was just a freak accident electrical fire - when he was five years old, and he ended up an orphan. When this happened, he was trapped under burning debris for a while, and though he survived, he has serious burn scars all over one side of his body and across much of his torso. It's just part of who he is, and also part of why he - eventually - left the orphanage and joined the street gang he's currently part of. The scars are there, but he's rarely even aware of them, because he spends most of his time jacked (sorry - somewhat esoteric cyberpunk fiction reference - "a direct neural link into something") into the Net. He's only peripherally aware of his physical surroundings even at the best of times. And what he DOES see is translated from a completely different view of the world than we have - everything is described in loops and whorls and spinning code, symbols and numbers and letters in myriad alphabets trailing into the distance and packed with meaning that mere eyes don't give us. So his scars are part of his past, but their effect on his present is mainly in that he's prone to shyness. They're not there because they're 'beautiful' or 'cool.'

Most of my dolls come from violent lives - the modern soldier or street gang kind of violence, not an emotional-and-physical-abuse background (with one exception) - and I've been toying with adding on scars they've picked up in the line of their work. The problem I'm facing there is that knife stab wounds and bullet puckers are pretty complicated to add onto these dolls, and while I could manage things like healed bullet creases and slice wounds, maybe even shrapnel damage, I'm not so certain of my ability to pull off those former ones.

7. You're an Anita Blake fan, too? :fangirl: >>hugs you to death<<

8. Scarring appeals to me since it adds character to a doll. 3 of my planned dolls have scars/etc (one bound with an eye, typical scar on eye but doesn't make him blind in one eye). The story that most of my dolls come from has violence and without scars they'll never remember or learn from the past.

However, my next doll, a girl, will have a fresh bullet wound in her heart (she's going to be "undead" per say). It's going to be a bit easy since I'm doing it on a body and bodies can be easily replace/repaired so they don't look noticable unlike gorgeous face-ups on rare heads. She looks normal enough that it should surprise you that she has a bullet wound in her chest.

The only way I figure going to get a bullet wound is to dig into my girl's body since I have no idea or skill to make it look real enough to be a bullet wound. This is going to be fun for me.

Scarring for me is intrigue the person into wondering "How did that happen?"

9. A well-done customization may even add to a doll's resale value, and usually people buy the dolls to create their characters, not to resale them. I personally have not carved or scarred my dolls, but I have a character in mind which will require extreme modification. Her resale value will probably drop if I do it, but I think it is worth of it for her to become mine ^_^

10. I like the way the meaning behind a scar portray the doll life events. I want one for my noin mikado character. He was branded in the neck when he was 12, and is a vampire. So, there would be alot of modifications happening when it comes to visable scars around his wrists...don't have him yet though..n.n

11. My Lahoo, Erik, is going to have scars all over underneath his clothes, cause he's a vampire slayer whose gotten into a bit of trouble in the past. But I don't think I would ever go to the lengths of actually digging scars into his poor resin flesh. I find nothing wrong with realistically painted scars, but when it comes to "hurting" them, I get really upset for the doll. I hope that doesn't offend anyone but. . . well, it's my opinion. :sweat

12. I have one scarred doll (paint only) with three slash-like marks on the left side of his face. The reason? After finishing his face-up and spraying on the sealer, I noticed something. There was a big bubble-ring on the left side of his face, because I hadn't shaken the can well enough before spraying. :doh I really, really liked the face-up, so I improvised and added 3 painted scars over the general area of the bubble. The bubble-ring became unnoticeable, much to my joy, so I kept the face-up after all.

The scars weren't originally added for any deep meaning, and they weren't part of a pre-designed character. :sweat But they are part of who he is now, so if/when I redo his face-up, the scars will be added deliberately this time.

13. I don't have any scarred doll, though, I would like to give Ophelia a little scar, but that doesn't fit her style xD
      And if I would give her a scar, then it would be because she has to be kind of a 'suicide girl'. . .

14. Aahh, yeah I know what you mean Baakay, I wonder why too sometimes.....
      I don't feel the need yet to want to scar any of my dolls, but again I don't have background characters ready prepared for them as such, plus the fact that I've lived with a scar on my face for most of my life.....
      I quite like piercings though.....

15. Mich, we're following each other around today! :)

You know, when I originally asked the question, I hadn't even thought about back story for the characters -- which is dumb, because what is Kenshin if not a character whose scar tells the story of his existence. But I don't buy dolls with any particular purpose aside from "ooo! pretty!" so it didn't occur to me.

And... forget I said anything about resale, people!! It was SUPPOSED to be a tongue-in-cheek comment ;) Really! Joke! ;)

16. I've kinda found scars to be cool looking when I've seen them on other dolls, but I never wanted any on any of my dolls cause of the way some of them have been done. A friend of mine got me into the Anita Blake series and I am now in the process of having someone on the forum put the scars on. I'm actually creating Anita Blake herself, so there will be scarring all up and down her left arm and on her collarbone. The one I've commissioned is painting on the scars, so no cutting or damage will come to my doll. Course, I don't plan on selling her once I get her home. So I think as long as you can remove the scars, I think that's why I'd get them on my doll. That way, if I change my mind...I can clean them off. :)

17. I think if it is done well can make a character very appealing kinda gives them proof that they have a story and then ppl always want to know why it's there and you get to tell them all about your dolls life story :) also makes them unique to you becuase no one else (or any other dolls for that matter) will have the same scars as them

18. With one of the dolls I will be getting in the future, she has scars from past battles that never healed correctly even though they should have (she has a natural healing ability). Two of them are just minor, one is on her right shoulder blade and another on her right calf. The other one...is gonna make me work. The last one goes from below her collarbone up and over her shoulder and ends a small ways down her back. It was from a horrible fight and she got struck with a sword. But this is important for her character as much as it's important for her lover's. Both of them look to the scars as a reminder of how bad things can get and just how close to death they used to come to.

I'm also finding another planned doll will most likely end up with scars, but as a prince over his vampire clan he's faced many battles trying to defend them. He doesn't care about them, doesn't notice them, but doesn't walk around where they can be seen easily. It bothers his clan to be reminded of his scraficies over the many centuries.

So that's two out of probably 10 I'll end up with. They have reasons behind them and not just to satisfy a morbid need to see blood or anything else. I got scars, nearly everyone does so why not just put it into the dolls who represent characters that seem like real people to me?

19. Well, I have two scarred boys. Both of their scars are based on character history. However - their scars are painted on, and will remain that way. I would NEVER carve a scar into a doll! SCARY! :horror:

20. Scarred dolls (where it's actually carved in the resin) are mostly done out of combined modding interest and character interest. I think that scars on a character are very intriguing (one of my friends and longtime inspirations is very scarred from medical reasons) and it helps show where the character's been- a sort of road map. They're also aesthetically pleasing to look at. It's not morbid at all for me, even those really extreme mods. (Well, maybe those a little.)

The best thing about scars is that they've shown you've healed. You've moved on, you've made yourself better just with the passage of time. Not all scars will heal completely but it's the very notion of a wound scarring over- a healing barrier to keep out sickness and end the pain- that appeals to me in some way. Many of my characters come from rather violent lives- not necessarily abuse but rough lines of work and that sort of thing. Military types, as well as the more fantastic elements- vampire hunters, werewolves, and in one instance they're actually a medical teaching tool brought to life, so they may not be violent but they do physically come apart easily and disassemble. Scars in moderation are an elegant way to allude to this sort of background without getting too much in detail or resorting to gore.
      Guy's scars are there because historically he's from a very bleak time of war. I haven't inflicted much physical damage on his character outside of that one very narrow margin of time where he was actually out and fighting, but I'm choosing his scars to make it perfectly clear that he hasn't exactly recovered even though he may have gotten better. Only one of my characters has scars from abuse, and he's still an emotionally healthy, functioning person, though he is still shy. People can heal. I've had to do some healing myself (thankfully not as much as my characters have) and it's one of the good things about being human. The scars remain but I do believe it's possible to move past the pain.