1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Scarring dolls. How come? Curiosity...

Dec 20, 2006

1. It's character. It doesn't ruin them. On the contrary, it makes people interested. Especially if you are into rolepay, then your doll has a visible history. It's fun!

2. I would love to see a discussion on the popularity of scars on dolls. What is the attraction?

3. I never really liked doll gore. [scars, cuts, scrapes etc.] However, half a year ago a tv remote fell and hit my doll in the face. It left a narrow black line that seemed like a sliver gash across his cheek. It was actually kind of pretty, but after a few monthes I magic erased it away. The small scuff hadn't damaged him at all but I kind of miss seeing the boo-boo there. I've been thinking in his next face up I might try to have the scrape replicated~&#9834; Can't say I'm a fan of heavy gore mods but Yi upped my gore appreciation for nicks and cuts with his little acident <3 lol

4. I'm getting painted on scars for my Limho Mono boy, Jasper. It's part of his character. But also because I bought him second hand via the MP and since he's french resin and has yellowed some in the face and hands, I figured I'd add some scars to him to make him seem more interesting. He's just arrived at Meggilu's for a face up and it'll be a while before she's done with him. But I'm looking forward to seeing the outcome.

As for carved in scars, I think I'd only be willing to do that to a doll that's already been damaged. ^^

5. i have an obsession with gore and blood; that's why i like to watch anything that involves scarring, bruising, etc. obviously, that obsession plays into my doll-world as well.

6. I'm sure, considering the make-up of the 'world' my boys will be from, that several will end up NEEDING some small scar modifications, such as my vampire/demon half-breed, possibly a few others as well, simply because life is not kind. Its not that I think its 'cool', it just happens to be the way that they look. XD Can't help it if I occasionally end up with one that has to be altered.

7. I've never thought the 'why' mattered so much as long as the owner likes it. Extreme as some of them may be. Personally I don't have much respect for those who do it purely for the shock factor, though that may be just because Yoru's have so much significance.

While Yoru is supposed to have a pretty heavily scarred body, I haven't decided whether or not to have it done to his doll version. I have heard of scar mods that don't require permanent gouging of the resin, so if I decide to do it I'll look into that.

8. I dont know I guess I am the minority on this i cant see damageing something so precious to me, Even if its done in an artful manner its still damage it its cut or carved in. I don't plan on reselling the dolls i get i see them as my children.. i would never sell or hurt my children. It seems so many people will do these things to the doll for the sake of the character. To each their own but to me it quite literally turns my stomach then again i don't handle gore or blood .

9. My boy Milo's story was that he was a cat in his previous life, and some of the cat characteristics are "shifting over" to his human life--he has cat fur growing in with his regular hair, he has cat-eyes, etc. Perhaps even scars from past-life fights, I don't know. It's something I've been considering. (I don't even have the doll yet, so his character isn't fully developed.)

10. I scar my dolls (or have them scarred) because they're basically the resin versions of various characters and some of them have scars. One of mine is actually quite badly scarred for various reasons, most of which have to do with him being an absolute bastard, so he needs all of those scars to really be himself. The doll only has his face done right now, but the character has a good portion of his body scarred, mostly from barfights and people trying to kill him (usually justified, I might add) and I want the doll to reflect the character he's supposed to be. Same goes for any of my other guys who might eventually get a scar or two-I feel the need to do it to have the doll version of the character really be complete.

11. I like the look of dolls that, as they are made by their creator, are 'naturally' scarred, such as the Living Dead Dolls and such, and if the doll as part of it's backstory is meant to be scarred for one reason or another (like Nezumitoo's dolls above.) It's...complex. As neat as I think it would be to have a very 'broken'-looking doll (being a horror movie buff) I don't think i could consciously harm a doll to make it that way. I dunno, I'm still very new to the BJD world, but that's my two bits for now. Maybe in a year or even a few months I'll look back on this and have different ideas. XD

12. I like scar mods. But it depends on how it is done. But I like the scarface dolls from Volks a lot but others really vary.

13. At the moment I have only one doll with a scar and it's painted on. But I bought him secondhand, and he has yet to tell me how he got the scar..

14. I am planning scars for future dolls based on original characters. The Fairyland Karsh I'm ordering sometime this year will have them on his torso and in a line down his back because of surgeries and medical proceedures he went through when he was 15.

I'm getting it done by a professional and the doll will not be modded. The layers of the scars will simply be built up so that they could easily be taken off if I ever had any idea of selling or changing him.

It really shouldn't matter to others if someone decided to scar their dolls, either painted on or modded and it is sometimes very artfully done. It definitely is interesting to see other people's reasons though. ^_^

15. -Saw Cecile the scarface
      -Liked the fresh carved in look
      -Carved up my doll like a Christmas ham
      :D

16. Hmm I like looking at scarred dolls and one day I plan to scar one myself but for me it's because I have scars myself and I'm proud of them. While I don't necessarily show them off, for me it's more of a lack of shame of them and that greatly shaped my own personality in the process.
      And so being narcissistic, I like seeing this reflected in dolls proudly showing their scars :) I guess I don't go "ouch!" seeing a doll with scars with some scary looking ones myself and coming from a sort of horror background myself.

17. I think scars can be really good for defining and advancing a certain doll's character or history ^^
      I don't think I'd ever be comfortable carving scars in, myself, though >_<; But painted on or white glue ones are okay : D

18. My second doll will be getting massive scars, both carved and painted. It's just a part of his character, I can't leave them out! It'll be hard to 'destroy' all the money I spent, but why the heck not! Aren't dolls about customization?
      (Also because I think it'll look cool, but don't tell him that)

19. I have a doll who has carved in scars. Buff got him from the owner who sold him. He turned out to be perfect for my character, Tyr, who is a thief. He is scarred from doing his "jobs", or getting caught. One I am not sure how he got!

20. Coming from a model maker perspective my question is "why the hell not?" A really good modification of a doll to make something truly unique will only add to the value of the doll, both for the owner, and for any future resell value IF IT IS WELL DONE.

If it is badly done then it will ruin the value of the doll. So my only advice for those who worry about monetary values is to make sure that you or the person you're paying to mod your doll actually knows what they are doing.

onegreyelephant and melwong are two people I would happily send dolls to for modification. That is, if I didn't want to do it myself. Having worked in white metal, resin and advanced painting techniques for over 21 years, I would be quite happy to do it myself, after one or two practice heads...

Phil.