1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Scarring dolls. How come? Curiosity...

Dec 20, 2006

1. I just like scars, I always have and they fit my boy's character.

2. It;s like you said, hun... if I were to scar my doll it's because the doll I just got is modeled after a character of mine who has a very deep, very big scar on his back... But recently I've reconsidered scarring him permanently and I might just photoshop the scar in when needed, because I want to use him in photostories other than his.

3. Since my first doll is sitting prettily at the post office (curse Saturday mail delivery!) I'm already considering her male counterpart. She has a rather defined back story (providing she doesn't reject it after we come face to face), but his is still rather loose. The one definitive part of his body I'm sure of - a scar across the edge of one of his eyes.

Scarring is rather unusual for me because I can't recall any of my major characters ever having a scar. However, character background and/or development dictates it in doll form. I think one has to look at it as a 3D version of a pen and ink drawing. I wouldn't dare mod a scar on a doll myself, but I'm already looking around at pre-scarred heads. Eventually I'll decide if I want a resin scar or a painted scar.

4. I don't see my doll or my future dolls as characters, nor do I intend to put together a doll based on an original characters, but I still like scars just for the aesthetic appeal. It doesn't have much meaning or significance for me, I just like the badass look. I think I've grown to like scars from anime/manga and to some extent western comics too, and find them attractive rather than disfiguring. I also find I like a lot of scars that are completely stylized rather than realistic - for example, if you look at Blood from K-Doll's gallery, she (or her friend?) did a lot of faceups with a painted red scar through the eye that looks too pretty and clean to be a fresh wound, and too bright to be an old scar. I love that look too.

I'm put off by gore however, and by really deep scars... Cecil's, depending on how it's painted, can look quite fresh and painful and it makes me wince a little. :sweat I prefer painted scars.

5. My Hans has some scars, for example a scar from a bullet wound, in his right arm.
      I gave him a few (he has four) because he was a Soldier in the second world war and had a few wounds, one of it nearly killed him. His scars are non permanent, mostly because I wanted the natural look of a healed wound.

My second and third scarred boy are mostly scarred because I like scars and find them rather interesting. The third one has also a glasgow smile because of his mold, which already smiles a lot.
      I wanted to underline his maniac behaviour C:

6. Hmm it's been an age since I heard the term "Glasgow Smile". Belfast Smiles are worse coz they make the cuts smaller so there's more to tear...

TMI I know...

Phil.

7. To me, scars give character. They are part of the dolls history. They show that the doll has gone through a trauma and come out the other side. I personally have 1 scarred doll, but it is a completely removeable modification. I'm just not brave enough to permanently scar my doll.

I believe alot of people also scar their dolls to show deep emotional pain - i.e. "cutting" scars ("self" inflicted scars across the arms/legs/body as an expression of deep emotional pain). We could get really psychological and say that as the dolls are an extension of our psyche, a person who owns a self mutilating doll deep down has the same emotional problems that would cause themselves to cut on their body, but perhaps they are emotionally sound enough to realize the damage (physical and mental) this causes, and so they have found a different outlet.

Sorry, I didn't mean to go on for so long. I just find this fascinating.

8. My Sirius has scars in the back(painted) they are wolf claws, it's for his story, He is Sirius Black, and my Sirius, in his school years "playing" with remus and wolf- remus, got the scars.

I don´t know If he will get more scars, I suposse not cause this Sirius is not gay at the moment, If i get the other Sirius who is currently in love with Remus he surely will have a lot more of scars hehehehe.They like play hard.

9. I have dolls that should and will have scars (when I get around to doing them again) that are purely for character reasons, and I have one who is very scarred. He's actually an example of how scars can work for you in more ways than just characterization.

The reason for his scars are, I bought the head already modded to have scars because I really like it. I altered an already "existing" character of mine to fit the doll and gave him a reason for the scars (and blindness, he's a sleeping mold with eye scars)....this year he got a "new" second hand body that had had a corset piercing on one arm. The holes were drilled into the doll and while the corset piercing didn't go with the character, to cover it up I gave him burn scars all the way up to his elbows. It was easy to explain them, gave his character a little more depth and hid the holes perfectly. Plus, his hands didn't match his body and his body didn't match his head. The scars cover his hands too, and the blushing matches the hands to the arms. Eventually I'll get around to doing some more blushing and possibly some more scars on his shoulders, chest and neck and then he'll match his head! XD

10. I love to look at images of the scar jobs people have done... some of them look amazing and it really adds to the personality/character of the doll and the story that been created for them.

Once several factors; (money, finding that perfect sculpt, time and some practice with actual modding) one of my characters has scars and I have plans of making a doll of him. So, I'm all for scar mods ^_^ I have no concern of resale value or selling them at all actually, so what I do to/with them is limited only to my imagination!

11. I love scars (both modded ones and ones that are produced by the original company) on dolls and I think they can look amazing for characters you might have in mind. If I'm going to mod a doll, then I have no intention of reselling that specific doll (as I know my own modding skills are not as top-notch as a professional's work).

12. With my boys (who should be arriving soon), the scars and mods are part of their pasts; it's just a necessary part of them.

13. I intend to scar only dolls I really, really love and plan to keep. I would like for each of my dolls' scars to have a story. Kind of another way to make them more real.
      Plus, I kinda have a thing for scars, much in the same way that I have a thing for tattoos and piercings.

14. I plan on giving Jason some painted on "childhood" scars (y'know, the kind you get from falling off your bike or sliding on rocks or some such) and a scar on his left eyebrow to match mine (because I happen to like the way it looks). they make him seem more 'real', like he's got a history.

I also plan on painting a scar on Brutus's stomach, where his soul was ripped out (part of his back story).

sometimes I'll see really harsh scars and think "that's cool" but I'd never actually get one for my dolls.

15. I'm pretty fond of scars, especially when I know where they come from and why the character in question has them. But if and when I get a doll that'll have them, I don't think I'll be carving them... I don't understand that. I'd prefer scars that are painted/made with glue that you can get off, so if it happens you have to sell the doll or something else happens, character changes and whatnot, there's no permanent "damage" done.

But yeah, scars can be pretty fabulous. Guess it's a question of what you find appealing and what kind of a character the doll is.

16. My dolls both have scars because it is a huge part of their history, they were both turned into werewolves. Werewolf bites/ scratches always scar.

17. Victor has a little scar as part of his faceup now, the really stereotypical, overdone "single slice over the eye and then the eye itself is milky" deal where it 's still pretty and neat. It was almost entirely an aesthetic choice-- I don't even know how he's gotten it yet. I feel really quite shallow.

18. My only current doll with a scar is Sydney, and it is really rather small. It's a raised scar done with tacky glue, so there isn't any permenant change to the doll. I too, am too chicken to dig into any resin. However, I have a scar of my own, and it is raised, so to me it is more realistic that way too.

But she has it due to her history. Abusive father and such. And if I ever get the patience to do it, I should probably give her some GSW scars - one on her shoulder, and one in her abdomen.

Then, when I finally get Ty-Ty's body, he's getting scars where his wings will attatch. Both because it will cover where I'm putting in magnets and also to add emphasis to the fact that having wings rip out of your flesh is a little bit less than pleasant. ;)

19. I plan on, in the future...to have someone help me mod a doll into a zombie, just because I love the whole macabre aspect of it. Big, open and festering wounds, rotten flesh, scars, stitches, the works!

I'm just a huge horror fan, blood gore and the like. It's always held me captivated and fascinated. Now, I can't stomach people dying for real...but when it's movie magic, what's not to love? I'm also going to get me a ghoul boy and he'll have lots of lovely bits I'd like modified to look like torn up or chewed on limbs because...he eats flesh. X3