1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sculpts that "got to you"

Sep 9, 2020

1. Honestly, I disliked the way Studio Naiko dolls looked, they were too stylized for me and just weren't the look I liked. But, after seeing the owner pictures of some of the heads after they were customized they started growing on me. I started thinking that they weren't as weird looking. The stylized look that made me put off with them changed to admiring them for how different they were from other sculpts.

2. Minifee Hwayu. First time I saw her those teeth just looked wrong. The vampire fangs aren’t even lined up with the rest of the teeth. Her face isn’t super beautiful or anything... But somehow owner pictures looked really good and I think I got used to the vampire fangs somehow. There was a time when I started finding her really cute and even wanting one. Thing was vampire Mimi Crow from Peakswoods just came up and I found her much more cute and ordered her instead. I really love her and forgot Hwayu completely. That said I think me falling in love with her was somehow related to start liking Hwayu at a certain point and getting used to the vampire dolls.

3. @Lillyevergold I have to be honest, the one that recently really got to me was your Dearmine picasso bean. I've seen Dearmine dolls before and thought, "cute but not for me." Then I saw yours and my heart leaped! Now I keep looking at all the cute picasso bean dolls and it might be next for me!

4. Really?! I would never have guessed!
      I really like cats and picasso bean don’t really take space! Good news are, they have many limite super cute editions and I’m sure They will come up with something you really like soon!
      They are having a lotery at DOLK for the kimono one next week btw.

5. Hmmm... So I guess this confirms that I should really think about getting the doll that "caught" me :)
      In my case it's Iplehouse Claude - I initially dismissed him altogether - cute boys are not really my thing, I prefer a bit of "trouble" in my guys... And than I started browsing various faceups of Iplehouse dolls and found so many ones done for him that I really enjoy that I had to go and take another look that made me notice small details I missed and how flexible the sculpt really is... And now I can't decide which resin I like him best in and am slightly bit terrified of ending up with a small squadron of the same doll in different skin colors :D

6. Bunny Bunny Pudding. I used to have this weird aversion to dolls with teeth showing, but seeing that sweet little sculpt with such a cute expression changed my mind. At first, when I saw that sculpt, I was like, "Ehh, but teeth." But then I was like, "But I like everything else about the face... why am I so hung up on the little bit of tooth showing?" I'm planning on ordering a Pudding in the near future. :)

7. I used to be completely neutral to Iplehouse Lion (old YID) until I realized he fit a character some years after I knew the doll existed, if only in a different skin tone. I was even there when he was first released! Funny how it takes things to hit me.

I also had to be struck at random, again veritable years later, by Volks Piccolo. I'd fallen in love with and bought my first tiny already by that point, and once the itch struck me again I saw all these tinies in a different light.

Kinda scared to find out what other latent love I'm secretly, accidentally hiding from myself!

8. Big Elfdoll fan, but when Hazy came out, not so much. Time passes, suddenly, I found her super appealing and ordered her.
      So glad, she is gorgeous and fits my crew beautifully.

9. This thread was just made for Notdoll, wasn't it?

Add me to the "why in the world would I want a Belladonna?" list. She's downright hideous, and yet I was compelled in the end to buy one. Now I own Belladonna, Aletheia, and the ugliest tiny in the world, Naripon Toadstool.

[​IMG]

I appreciate traditionally beautiful BJDs and own many, but there's just something so appealing about Notdoll and their grotesque aesthetic. It just took a while for me to come around!

10. I've always felt Notdoll was very much a love 'em or hate 'em company. I've fallen hard for my girl, but still not so keen on some of the others out there. I agree, Toadstool is an ugly little kid, but also such a unique sculpt, she catches attention easily! I love beautiful sculpts too, but since my crew is all human, realistically, not everybody is going to be a super model. I enjoy having a few not-so-perfect dolls in my crew!

11. Supiadoll Noa. I didn’t like her original makeup, but when the smoky makeup came out and after looking at her face structures multiple times, I decided to get her. She’s way better looking in person than in the photos. She turned out to be very photogenic and beautiful in her own little way. I just love her! <3

12. If you are buying your dolls for their facial expressions and the feelings you get when you look at them, it makes perfect sense to me!

13. I've had this happen a lot of times (I was very picky when I first started collecting) bit most recently for me it was Impldoll. Like, the whole company.

When I first joined the hobby I kept hearing people talk about this company positively, but when I went to check them out I saw things like this. Or this. Or this. I think the styling and the fact that blank heads are difficult to find made me think this company was kind of horrifying.

But now that I've been in the hobby for a while I can't help but notice that they're one of the few companies that features large/round noses from time to time. And I respect the fact that they are willing to make widely varied sculpts with unique expressions. I haven't bought one yet (mostly because, again, their sculpts are difficult to find blank and they don't make buying single heads easy) but I keep going back to their catalog over and over. I have my eye on Kare, since he has a very unique face and I think he has a lot of potential.

14. I love that doll too

15. The mechanical concept dolls of Dollzone. The mechanical version of Venus Halo is a deep favorite. Of course thier new Zero has me hemming. I havent managed to get a Venus Halo yet, too busy hunting down Volks children. But soon.

16. I had this happen with Ringdoll Diyue. I've honestly never really been interested in "pouty" sculpts but something about his face just started growing on me. Still trying to figure out who I'd shell him as.

17. Pasha Pasha for me! I never got what I used to think were strange stylistic choices for their faces, but after falling into the fashion doll hole, they're one of my favourites now.. :o I'm still contemplating owning one of my own.

18. Dollshie Saint, now do not get me wrong he is a fine mold and on paper he is kinda my type of doll. Handsome, tall, life like, male. However to me 90% of all Saints have the same basic look and do next to nothing for me. That was until a friend of mine in the hobby got one of those mini Saints and made it really unique and very much in my aesthetic. So I looked at this Saint that didn't look like every other Saint and loved him from a far... Then said friend was selling him she had fallen out of love, so of course I had to buy the Saint I was stalking. Long story shot I now own a Saint which is a mold I was always meh over until I found the one that sparked me.

19. A Volks F-26. Imo, Volks doesn’t really do a good job portraying their sculpts. I’m never really impressed by the first impression until looking at custom/variant faceups. I finally discovered how beautiful she was from another owner on Instagram but I feel kinda sad and hesitant to try and get one now because I’d feel like I’m copying her but she really did a great job with her F-26 that it actually made me really want one too.

#39 Ephemeral_Dream, Sep 29, 2020
      Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    20. Honest question--have you asked them? While they're not quite as "eager to please" as ResinSoul, Impl's definitely one of the more flexible companies and will do more "interesting" requests. (My personal orders have been a body, color-matched, with an extra torso, and two head-swapped dolls, and they had no problem doing any of them.)