1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sculpts that "got to you"

Sep 9, 2020

1. @vicemage Oh no, it's not that it's IMPOSSIBLE to buy heads separately. I'm almost certain that I could do that! :lol:

I'm just already on the fence about these sculpts, so having to contact the company special makes me keep on prioritizing other companies instead. Contacting the company isn't difficult or anything, but I find that it takes just long enough to make me rethink whether I really want the head in the first place. :sweat

2. @0bsequi0us that's totally fair! I do get prioritizing some dolls over others. :) If you decide to go for it, though, they're really quite easy to work with!

3. I was kinda put off Luts for some reason,
      there just wasn't anything that was particularly amazing.
      Till I stumbled upon a Luts Terra that had an incredible owner faceup and he looked like a completely different sculpt. I totally fell for the new look, ended up buying him and since then have looked at Luts in a whole different light.

4. For me it was Happydoll Margo. When I first started BJD collecting in 2005, I saw pics of her on a now-defunct US doll dealer's website, and could not believe anyone would want one! It wasn't the most flattering pic; she looked like an old, drugged-out supermodel. Weirdly enough, she also reminded me of a friend, lol!

Like with traffic accidents and train wrecks, I kept going back to look, and eventually I bought two, one in 2008 and one in 2009. Both were elaborate fullsets; the second one I managed to get from Happydoll before they ceased production and went away, and I'm so glad I did. This is the second one, who I've named Evelynde Dragseth, a Margo Channing-like actress!

Evelynde: I am so ready for another drink...
      [​IMG]

5. Blueblood Genx Nile still want him still till this day can't find him anywhere

6. I was convinced I'd never buy a Dust of Dolls Cham sized doll. I'd liked Cham Nabi and Cham Byol, I thought their sculpts were cute, but I couldn't get over the ball joint in their necks. I thought it looked odd and I didn't get why they'd chosen to add it there, since as far as I know it doesn't improve posability and there are other Dust od Dolls bjds that don't have this joint. Honestly I kind of thought it was an eyesore.

...but then they announced Cham Namu, and I fell so in love with her little face that I'm taking the risk and buying one when the preorder begins. If I really can't stand the joint, I can sell her!

7. Real Puki Obi is the one that got me. At first I thought his buck-tooth smile was too goofy but now I find it so endearing :sweat Now I'm trying to keep myself from getting a second one in the gray skin color lol

8. Actually, my first doll and current profile photo (Snow Delia from MYou) was exactly this experience for me!

I saw her on the front page of DolkUS, and almost thought her makeup seemed strange.. but entrancing. When I clicked through I was unsure of my reaction to her makeup as photographed in a way that kept making me THINK about her over and over. It caused me to just keep considering what my reaction really was, and turned into this kind of obsession of trying to figure out what I *really* thought of her.

I sent pictures to my sister and was like, "I can't stop looking at this doll.. what is bothering me about it?" And she kind of pointed out a detail that might seem a little much, and I was like, "you know, if that actually turns out to be an issue in real life, I could definitely fix it."

So I just got to this point where I was like, okay, I have been thinking about this doll for DAYS and WEEKS. She was just so different from the first doll images I had seen and knew immediately I had to have... I just felt so unsure but was enraptured in a way. So I finally decided when they changed the promo image of her on the Dolk front page to say just a few left in stock... I just couldn't NOT know what she was really like.

Turns out, I actually got the last one, and oh, my, goodness. When she arrived I just LOVED her. I cannot even think about how close I was to missing out on her. I'm so glad I listened to whatever it was that kept drawing me back to contemplate her.

9. This happened to me again recently. I'd seen Dream Valley's Rosa with her jointed bird wings at some point, but she's far more stylized than the dolls I tend to prefer. Her head is huge compared to the fashion sized MSDs I prefer the look of, and her mouth is downturned enough to make her look unhappy from some angles. Most of my dolls have neutral to slight smile face sculpts. I do tend to like sculpts with "dreamy" eyes, and her face reminded me a bit of some of Doll Chateau's older MSDs that I'd always liked looking at.

But by the time I was looking at her again I'd ordered my first MSD, a Racoon Doll, with very different proportions, and it sometimes really bothers me to have dolls with extremely different head sizes. Two of the dolls I've sold I had that problem with. I saw somewhere that her winged body was being discontinued, and Denver Doll Emporium had her in-stock. I ordered one, and I love her. Her face does look sad from some angles, but from others she looks like a haughty hard to impress queen. With foot long jointed wings.:love

10. @taichas this is happening to me :shudder

I never thought I’d be into them but I can’t stop thinking about Namu. I NEED to see more pictures of her and just keep scouring the Inter webs for pictures of other DOD sculpts :whee:

I agree re: the neck joint but somehow I’m overlooking it now.

11. Minifee Chloe,her sculpt began to grow on me whenever I saw pictures of her blank.
      She made it onto my wishlist and then eventually into my collection,she’s one of the last sculpts I saw myself owning.

12. Volks' School A... I liked the other "Luci" sculpts just fine. I was really fond of my Sweet Dream Lucas and Irvin in particular... But something about the School A's expression just reminded me of a frog. 'Not sure why, exactly, but it *did* and I wasn't a fan.

That didn't really change until I came across the head that would become Yomi. He's a lightly modified School A with some minor alterations to his expression and eye shape and it turns out THAT made all the difference. To be honest, he still looks a little amphibian to me from some angles, but I'm okay with it. With his mods, it's actually more charming than off-putting.

If you'd asked me back-in-the-day if I would ever actually like a School A, though? I'd have said not a chance.

13. Doll Chateau Zenobia! I think, my first reaction was a strong dislike only because she seems too unusual for me.
      When I first saw her I really really disliked the head sculpt. She was somewhat acceptable from the front view but from other angles, her face seemed weirdly shaped, the nose too narrow and her eyes had quite an odd shape, cheeks too sunken... All in all, I dislike her at first sight.

But strangely I couldn't stop thinking about her and returning to the DC site to see her photos again and again. After some time I realized I actually like her or started to like her, but I didn't actually buy her until discontinuation was announced. I don't collect girls and usually don't bond with them at all. Besides, I didn't have any plans for Zenobia, but the discontinuation finally motivated me to at least buy the head. I know, I would regret not getting her.

I'm very happy I have the head but I'm not sure what to do with her. Hopefully, she will not stay forever floating, it would be such a shame.

14. Resinsoul Mi. Resinsoul is notorious for sometimes having pretty bad company photos, as we all know, so while searching through SD sculpts, I never thought too much about Mi. I saw some beautiful owner photos of her, though, and since I’ve been strongly contemplating purchasing her. The only thing holding me back is their slim body size (finding clothes when I had a Resinsoul MSD was tough) and potential posing issues. I can’t stop looking at her though. I might cave and get her one of these days...

15. Doll chateau ashley. I was not necessarily a fan of her body or head sculpt, but after buying a couple of dolls I've come to realize that I am appreciating the less conventional sculpts. Idk what it was but I ended up putting a full set ashley from DDE on layaway. What can I say she "grew" on me.

16. This was Dust of Dolls Roze Heln for me! At first I was put off by her small shoulders and unusual mouth. But now I love her! The lips are so unique and her body has also grown on me. I have not gotten a change to own her, but maybe some day. There are many Dust of Dolls sculpts with similar features, so I'm hoping to find a similarly charming doll.

17. This was the case for the Dollmore Model bodies. There were a number of face sculpts I really liked, but something about the bodies was initially very unappealing to me. They felt very stylized but in a lanky and disproportionate way. But I decided to take the plunge with my Dollmore Keeley since I had admired that face since I entered the hobby. Opening her, all preconceived opinions on the sculpting of that body went out the window! I adored the extremely long limbs and the substantial weight of the resin. She looked so cool. Her hands are one of my favorite parts about her!

18. Oo yes Mi is so pretty!! That sculpt reminds me of webtoon characters. :D

I'm returning to the hobby and I never used to like dolls with very obvious expressions. Then I found Charmdoll's Raccoon :o I fell in love with the sculpt and have him on order now :blush the sculpting of the mouth is so soft and unique!

#58 BebeBjd, Feb 18, 2021
      Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2021
    19. YoSD/Tiny’s in general have gotten to me. I previously only liked MSD/SD dolls but now all I want are little ones haha. Especially little anthros. No idea what happened to my brain over the last few years— give me all the squishy cuteness!

20. This happened to me with Dollzone’s mermaid, Sawarieda. When I first saw her, I was of course fascinated by the beauty of her unusual sculpting. But her size…Eek!:o She’s a full 100cm. I couldn’t imagine how or where I could display her, so she was a hard pass. Looking back on it (this was 6 years ago) I believe I still had several characters I needed to shell at that time, and they were fully occupying the space at the front of my mind. But once all that was done, I found myself thinking more and more wistfully of the mermaid who got away.:sweat Then, suddenly Dollzone re-released Sawarieda as a severely limited doll with only 17 available worldwide. And they offered her in purple skin! (Something they had never done.) This time I ordered her so fast I think smoke was rising from my Ipad!:thumbup