1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sculpts you love (but will probably never get) - 2

Apr 23, 2017

1. Adult female dolls. I LOVE looking at everyone's beautiful ladies! So many of my favorite Other People's Dolls are grown women. Heck, one of my favorite sculpts over all is Charm Doll's Trista! But for whatever reason, I'm super put off by the idea of owning one of my own. I think it might be because a primary reason I like dolls is the sewing for them and fashion aspects. And because I AM an adult woman, I have no desire to get an adult woman doll to play dress-up with. I sew most of my own clothes, so I can play dress-up with myself, lol. Meanwhile, little boys and girls and adult male dolls give me an opportunity to design/make outfits I wouldn't otherwise get to.

As for specific companies, a lot of people have listed companies like D.Lace, Doll Chateau, Dream Valley, etc...And I'm right there with them. I LOVE looking at owner pictures of horror themed dolls, but they don't quite fit in with my current collection. When I first started with BJDs, I didn't think it would matter to me whether or not my dolls "went together," but as I've gone on I've found that it actually does bother me if they don't all look right together. Alas, this also means that sculpts on both the too-realistic side (Dollshe/Granado/Iplehouse/etc) and the too-stylized side (DoD/Lilycat/etc) are forever out of bounds for me. I'm settled in quite firmly in the Volks/Luts/Soom sort of category.

And for Doll Chateau specifically, I think they're just too delicate for me. Those super thin limbs would make me very nervous...But goodness do I love looking at owner photos of them. I'm especially obsessed with their centaurs! (The ones with the human feet!)

2. I would give my left arm for an Ery doll

3. The Granado Evol body is, IMO, absolutely drool-worthy, but it does look like it would be very hard to dress. That and it seems to be absolutely massive and take too much space.

But you know the idiom "never say never". :)

4. Hey if any of you haven’t hard of klarna I suggest you check it out :)

5. Dollzone Sawarieda is absolutely stunning but I think it will probably be hard to find her and even if I could she would be out of my price range. Loong Soul Thunderbull Kui is also basically the same situation; an expensive discontinued doll. They are both also very large and I just don’t know if I would have the space for them.

6. For me it has to be either popovy or minifee. The ting with popovy is the fact that the price is SOOOO high, and the amount of work and messaging, and discussing, and saving is too much of a hassle. Minifee on the other hand is the popularity and the pedestal that the company is placed upon. I prefer to support smaller companies and separate artists, that will also give me a quality item. The minifee sculpt is nice and pretty, but I can get a good similar product for less from companies like ResinSoul or WithDoll that is more affordable or comes with more things for a similar price.
      I know that a lot of people will disagree with my but... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7. I actually agree, I used to be like I can't afford a minifee and I was scared that when I bought off the second hand market people would rip me off and give me a recast because so many of thier dolls have been recasted. After a while seeing how cute they were I figure saving the money is worth it because you only live once so why not get what you really want

8. Soom Heliot and Granado Enoch.

They are too large for me and it is daunting. I have memories of holding a Sabik at a long ago doll meet (at a Borders oml...) and I remember thinking that it was too much doll for me. But I love looking at pictures of them.

I think once I landed on the 57-62cm size boys and girls I hit my sweet spot and I don't think I'll ever go larger even though there are fantastically beautiful dolls in that large size range.

EDIT:

I have a running list, sadly:
      • Soom Heliot (65cm+ is too big for me, if he were 62cm...)
      • Granado Enoch (beautiful, expressive, way too big for me)
      • K-doll Kamyu (I already have sleeping dolls I love, also I had a Kayan and a Karon and they didn't stick)
      • Elfdoll Vivien (pop up rarely, super popular, no real plan if I did have one)
      • CP Shiwoo Elf (super limited, pop up rarely, very popular, would be expensive)
      • Volks Sophie (Pink House collab release in 2019 for LA Dolpa, very few of them, expensive)
      • Volks F75 (love him, but again no real plan and the eyes are a little too large for me these days)
      • Volks Okita Souji SD13 version (Don't see him pop up much, expensive, eyes too big)
      • Volks Maximillian (SD17 is too big for me)
      • Peakswoods Rosemii (love her, but she doesn't fit my current collection well)
      • Youpla Shuri (head/eye size is too small for my collection and wouldn't fit well)

#148 vermaxen, Apr 15, 2021
      Last edited: May 10, 2023
    9. anything thats fantasy, cute and elegant and thats way out of my price range

10. I have a Popovy, and when I first started in the hobby I would agree with you. It wasn't until I started buying larger and more expensive dolls that a Popovy's price suddenly didn't seem that bad lol!

Right now, sculpts that I love but would likely never get are DC Ona, DC Oswald, pretty much most of Loongsoul's fantasy 70cm BJDs, Little Rebel Andre, and Lillycat Ellana. The primary reason is lack of space and funds, and I feel that the amount of dolls I have is already quite a lot. Too many dolls is overwhelming for me. This is partially what inspired me to go for my Popovy - the dream of finally getting one of my dream dolls!

As for buying heads, I have found that hybriding is super stressful. I don't know how people do it - to buy and sell bodies so many times in the hope of finding one that fits their head. So this pretty much rules out a lot of Little Rebel and Switch sculpts for me too.

11. The dragon tailed 1/6 doll Dragon Po&Chuan from dollzone. The doll is everything I want from a fantasy doll, yet it is a difficult doll in terms of customization. The tail is too big and complicated, painting it would be a nightmare. Also the lower horns place too many restrictions on wig style. I know it's beyond my ability to take good care of it so no, I am not even trying to get one.

12. I love a lot of the Doll Chateau sculpts but I know I will never get them because there are too many I like and I just can't choose. Also from Luts, a lot of the Delf girls I like but the size and proportions wouldn't match my current slim MSD collection and that would drive me nuts.

13. Minifee elves/fantasy sculpts just... dat price... would need a 12 month layaway x_x I haven't completely given up on having one some day but if I try to be realistic it's probably not gonna happen

14. Lillycat Ninon and other similar art dolls. They simply don't fit my crew of bobble-headed, old-school dolls. Other dolls that would fit the aesthetic, like Dollzone Anson and Moment, I don't have the desire to own. I'm content with looking at pictures of them.

15. Anything MSD sized.
      I have SDs, YoSDs and tinies, but for some reason the MSD size just escapes me. The older kid-like sculpts are cute but not as cute as Yos, while the slim mature sculpts are pretty but not as pretty as SDs. Basically they are that in-between thing that doesnt fit with either of my tastes.

16. Doll Chateau Luna. I absolutely love that doll, but after getting Julianne there is no way I will buy Luna now. I can just see that head with the ears being super heavy on that tiny body and not being able to get her to stand or pose how I want. That is a deal breaker for me. I love my DC Julianne but getting her into the position she is in was hard and I can't play around with her because she frustrates me. Beautiful dolls, but glad I figured it out with a less expensive one.

Also very large dolls. My first real BJD that wasn't like an Evangeline was a Iplehouse Dexter and he was so big and heavy I was afraid to stand him up or do anything with him. He almost slipped out of my hands a few times while I was holding him and it scared me so much I decided to let him go and I cannot see myself ever getting another one of that size again.

17. Minifee Siean. I keep watching the prices of Siean heads go up and up and I want to kick myself for not buying one when I first discovered BJD's.

18. Idealian dolls - I like them and enjoy look at photos of them, but they're just too big for me ....

19. Ail Elijah, or just Alice in Labyrinth and Dollstown dolls in general. I really love them, but I only have my bedroom to keep my dolls in so I've made my decission when it comes to the dolls I own and what companies I buy from.

I have owned an Ail Elijah before and feel very nostalgic about him. But only time will show whether or not I cave in to my nostalgia.

20. Most of the Doll Chateau catalogue. I think they look absolutely stunning, but i just can't quite picture myself owning one.