1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sculpts you unexpectedly love

Jul 10, 2017

1. I thought I hated anything smiling or child like, but I got a Berdine Creedy head from my visit to the International Doll and Teddy Show last month as a gift in the swag bag and it's really grown on me, now I just have to find it a body.

2. At first I thought the Venitu was unattractive but I really love him now.

At first I really hated smiling sculpts but then I saw the Supiadoll Hamin.

#42 VomitCatz, Jul 24, 2017
      Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2017
    3. Here's a fun one I actually own: Iplehouse SID Stella. Initially indifferent, but seeing her softened up with the right faceups made all the difference. Now she's my baby. <3

4. When looking for my first bjd, my family knew I loved mermaids, so they showed me the most affordable mermaid dolls at the time The Planetdoll mermaid minis. Even though they came with leg options, I wasn't interested (mainly because of their torsos), and I went searching for ones I liked more for years. Indescribably kept coming back to Planetdoll to look at their mermaids.
      After a while, the company came out with a smaller version of their mermaids, the Honey line. Fell head over heals for the little darlings and ordered 2 as soon as I could!! Heh heh. They aren't much different from the larger ones tbh, but I adore them!

#44 Advntr.gal, Aug 3, 2017
      Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    5. Minifee Woosoo, I never really liked her but now I do. I hope they bring out a Feeple60 in that style, cause I dont collect MSD's!

6. I never liked cutesy dolls very much but Volks dolls are just so adorable

7. I have the Red King, I must admit that I only bought him for the clothes, but the more I look at him, I'm beginning to like him, only if I keep his helmet/crown on

8. I'm into "old school", stylized sculpts... think CP/Delfs and classic Volks... And yet I own a Granado V-07 and I adore him. 'Pretty much the exact opposite of the dolls I usually go for. :lol:

9. When I first got into the hobby, I was only interested in realistic dolls; faces could be a bit exaggerated as long as they looked good, and bodies had to look like a human could reasonably be expected to look. It helps that I discovered the hobby through Andreja, youtuber Nicolle's Dreams, so I was immediately in love with Fairyland. I thought this would be pretty much the only company for me, because I love how cute their girls are and how the minifees are proportioned. I didn't even like Doll Chateau at first, I thought that the proportions were waaayyy too out of whack for me - little did I know, haha! I gradually fell deeply in love with the DC aesthetics. So, unexpected at first, but I definitely came around on those sculpts.

#49 GreenTeaAnarchy, Aug 7, 2017
      Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    10. Resinsoul Lan is honestly beautiful. I plan to get it for my next BJD! The left eye on it is just a lil wonky but I love it.

11. I don't normally like non human dolls, but I really want a Dragondoll Upsilon. I really like him, and think he'd look awesome wandering around my garden and sitting by the pond. So tempted to order him, even though I promised my mum I wouldn't buy anymore for a while!

12. Ohh, yes, Snowborn. I love him as well. I'm not sure I'll end up getting him, as he doesn't really fit any of my characters, but he is very unique and has so much personality! I hope you manage to get him.

The RS dolls are lovely. I was incredibly tempted to get one as my first BJD and expect I will get one someday. It's a shame they don't do their dolls justice in a lot of the company photos, but they still seem to have a strong fanbase. I've heard their customer service is fantastic as well. Song is gorgeous, and I think your boy definitely needs a twin brother :D.

Aww, she really is very sweet. I love her rosebud mouth!

I really thought I did too, but it's nice to be proven wrong (although not so great for the bank balance I guess). I have never heard of Berdine Creedy before :o. What is the name of the sculpt you got? It's very neat that you got it as a gift, especially as it's not something you would have thought to buy for yourself :).

It's amazing the difference a face-up can make! Do you have any pictures of your girl on DoA?

Red King is wonderful. I've just seen him for the first time today. I can see why he's growing on you :).

I know what you mean. I was a bit on the fence about DC initially as well. I admired the creativity of the designs, but wasn't sure I wanted one as a first BJD - was planning to go for something with more natural proportions. Then I saw their Evangeline...

The FL dolls are wonderful also. Some are a bit too cutesy for me, but I do love some of their FeePle sculpts. Lucywen is pretty spectacular as well!

Wow, yes, he's beautiful. I can imagine he'd be great fun to photograph outdoors. Everyone needs a bit of variety in their collection :D.

13. My doll style is usually very cutesy and childlike (basically fairyland lol). However when I stumbled across Dreaming Doll Little Elva Airi, I fell in love!
      She's waiting for me at the post office right now!
      She's my first doll (although I have a mnf Lucywen on the way) and I couldn't be more excited!
      She has squinty eyes and a smaller mouth which usually wouldn't appeal to me, but boy is she a cutie!

14. A good faceup goes a long way, yes. And a few! Not many, but they're out there. She also has a doll profile. :)

15. Very, very jealous of your MNF Lucywen. I would love one someday. She's another doll who isn't my typical style, but she's just beautiful!. Congrats! Elva Airi really is a cutie also :O.

16. I really didn't expect myself to like Dollzone's The Moon and The Star! However, the more I saw them, the more they grew on me just because they're so tragically beautiful. Now I really want one but have been waiting for one to pop up second hand, since I can't justify paying the company price for what is essentially half a doll.

17. Have neglected this thread recently :S. The DZ Moon and Star are hauntingly beautiful. If you like those, have you seen their new Lovers sculpt? Has a very similar feel and is an amazing work of art. I'm so tempted, but I'm making myself stick to dolls that fit existing characters of mine...

#57 Vanytie, Aug 5, 2018
      Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    18. The Modoll range. At first, I just instinctively turned my nose up. But, the more I look at them, the more I want one. Not to just copy the actor they're based on, even though that'd be difficult, but I do have a characters based on actors represented in the collection. If I ever wanted to shell them, I'd have no better choice than Modoll!