1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

SD size Doll Houses?

Mar 11, 2010

1. Well I asked m dad about the scale and he said he doesn't work in it much (most models you might make re much smaller) but he is willing to make me a a plan. But he said no to me building it in the garage -__- So I'll have to wait to build it when I get my own place. . .which is in like eight years? Wah! The house will be some what Victorian I think we still haven't worked out the details yet. I think I'll make so it would be easy to modify so we can add additions on later down the line.

2. I didn't see this thread the other day!

I just finished building a SD sized Dollhouse.
      I use the lower floor for storage and the upper for display.

Here is one of the in progress shots.
      The "front door" opens, as well

[​IMG]

Here is another shot, I did an antique finish on it.

[​IMG]

Here is an interior shot of the upper level
      [​IMG]

And lastly, a goofy one of me in front of it to show the size better.
      It stands over 6 feet tall, I'm 6'2", and is on wheels. It is 47 inches wide and 30 inches deep.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!

3. I have enough yard space at the front of the house AND at the back of the house. Don't think the fiancee would let me put a dollhouse in the front... and we lock the dog at the back to frolic by himself to give is some peace and quiet time in here :) So not too sure about that... UNLESS I fenced in part of the back yard, by the neighbor's fence... hmmm

The only other problem I see is that I won't want my dolls to move out LOL I want them to stay home with me forever :) And I would have to go all the way around the house to get to see them and play with them... so maybe not.
      Isn't it bad for them to be outside? Winter is too cold here and summer can get very hot and humid.

Adarhysenthe LMAO my girl's hubby is going to be around 65cm :D

4. Allison Wonder - your dollhouse cabinet is wonderful. I wonder if I could make something like that. Something like that would actually fit in my room! ... ::looks around:: ...if I figured out where to put it... But it could fit in my room, is the point!

Thanks for sharing/the inspiration. :3

As for me, I bought some giant display boards to make temporary shoot areas. I haven't played with them yet, though.

5. Allison Wonder, OMG! :o THAT IS AMAZING!!!! Seriously, that is the most inspirational, wonderful thing I've seen in, completely, forever, if that isn't inspirational, I don't know what is. I give you serious kudos, not that you need it, you've combined my never-ending quest for storage with my eternal quest for an awesome display space that looks fantastic!!!! :)

.hlp

6. unoa_im_afreak if you can share the size the rooms would be in that scale I would be grateful :)
      I want to plan something out, BUT I have no clue what basic measurements to start with as in ceiling height of a room, and floor size comparison.
      I am trying to figure something out that I can fit in a specific corner of my crafts room, but without basic measurements I can't even start.

Any suggestions?

7. Allison Wonder OHMYGAWD!!! THAT'S IT!!!! You mixed 2 of my ideas into one! that is amazing!!! I was thinking 4 rooms, 2 upper and 2 lower, not sure what I was going to do at the bottom rooms, but was planning on a bedroom and a livingroom on the second floor. Maybe I can do living downstairs and bedroom upstairs this way, and it's WAAAAAAAAY more manageable for me, space-wise!!!

Only one question remains for me.... each room... floor to ceiling... how many inches, PLEASE!!!
      And if it's not obvious already.... I LOVE your house!
      Thank you so much for sharing it :)

8. Allison Wonder: O.O Oh WOOOOWWW! That's what I'm talking about! *plots to steal, mwahahahahaha-- ...comes to senses, walks away dejectedly*

I've considered doing math and moving the proportions of a decent human sized room in relation to the dolls.

9. You're officially my favorite poster now. WOW. This is the first SD house I've seen, and it looks absolutely amazing. You've given me a better idea of scale too, to which I'm grateful. How tall are your dolls?

I'm wondering the same thing. I will have quite a few dolls that range from 66-70 cm. Looking at the dollhouse made above at 47 inches wide with smaller dolls... Well, I think the rooms will need to be quite big. I plan on doing a two story myself. Maybe 5ft deep, 7.5ft tall, 16ft wide. Even with those measurements, I might have to make a second piece because it won't have as many bedrooms as I need.

Please update the thread if you figure anything out in terms of size.

10. Alison Wonder, your house is fabulous! I need to get my husband to build something similar for me. But he is not as handy as you-- maybe we could start with an armoire...

11. MicroRNA how many bedrooms do you need??? That sounds like a whole other house you're planning there :)

I was thinking if we go by 1/3 of human scale, then regular 9 foot ceiling would make the doll's room 3 feet tall, so 2-story would be 6 feet, plus whatever "footing" it has.
      I was thinking... (yeah, dangerous... I know... not to mention it gets smokey in here every time I do that)
      I don't want everything so close to the ground, because my house would end up being hidden behind my sewing table. So maybe I can do living room and bedroom, side by side, and put that on top of a dresser with LOTS of drawers for storage of fabric, tools and notions, and doll stuff :) That would probably be more practical for me... but I REALLY love this 2-floor set up. That's a real house :)

sakuraharu An armoire... GREAT idea...

12. Alison Wonder, that is seriously amazing. I can't believe you managed something like that. o.o If I had the time/space/*cough skills *cough, then I might instigate some sort of copycat movement. XD Unfortunately, as I am lacking in those departments, I'm just looking at making take-down sets. It should be interesting though. If I get the time this summer (as I am being shipped off to summer school D: ) I'll get started on them. If I actually manage to finish I'll have to let you guys see how it turns out~

13. Wow, Thanks Everybody! The first floor is 33 inches tall, the second is 31inches.
      The doll that are in the room pictured are an SD Soom Namu (60cm)and an Glorydoll Lucy head on a Dollstown Elf body.

If I had room to store what's in the first floor I would put in a staircase and such, but I prefer to have access to my dolls without having to bend over, LOL.

14. I'm currently in the process of designing rooms and furniture for larger dolls (up to 75cm) The only problem is because I live in NZ posting these things can be difficult, so I am working on ways to make them as simple kit sets that can be shipped almost flat, and assembled with a few simple instructions. It's going to be a few months before I can have anything ready though, as I'm moving house, so I need time to get set up again at the new place, but then, I'm going to be right into it. So if you have any ideas of rooms or furniture etc you would like to see, I'd be happy to hear your ideas.

15. Well, personally, my SD is going to be in a medeival setting, so I've always imagined making a SD doll house that really looked more like a castle. You guys have been giving me some serious ideas. So there's something to chew on for the doll house makers! :D

16. That is really cute, and nicely done. Congrats!

17. I find myself looking at kitchen sets lately. I suppose I'm mildly obsessed with the visuals of food (I have a drawer full of food erasers) and I keep imagining my father and son pair cooking together, as it became a storyline thread that the father learns to cook in order to make sure his son went to school with the most awesome bento.

So as far as marketing information goes, I'd be very interested in a nice little kitchen area.

18. Thank you! Not far from my calculations! I was thinking 36 inches high for the second floor, but since my first floor is going to be drawers, I can get away with making it as low as 24 inches tall at the bottom.

Being able to access the house without bending over is a big plus, too :)
      Now I'm wondering though... if I put an SD house in my sewing room... where are the Pukis going to live... I might have to put them on a credenza in the dining room or something. I can't put them on an end table by the couch, because the dog would eat them... and then I have to put glass doors on that house so the dust and stuff doesn't get them out there (cause there are no furry pests allowed in my sewing room at any time)... I gotta think about this.

Now, raewhitewolf, That sounds like Ikea in miniature to me. And I love Ikea :) partly because I love their designs, and partly because I can throw a few boxes in a taxi, bring them home, and have hot chocolate while doing the puzzle, and at the end of it, I have a nice piece of furniture that I "made" myself :) Now the question would be, shipping.
      Once upon a time, my mom wanted a book, and she wanted it in Spanish. I searched hi and low for this little book, and finally found a place online that had it. It was a little book. I paid US$7 for the book. The book was coming from Mexico. I was charged US$40 for shipping to Canada. Never again!

19. 36 inches would be great! I actually wish my second floor was a tad higher.
      I do suggest though, that the FIRST measurement you take is the door frames, stairs, elevator of the house YOU live in for future moving possibilities!
      I had to scale mine down a little due to my apartment size and the size of the elevator, LOL!

20. Allison Wonder: The doll house is soooo lovely! You did a beautiful job on it. I think it compliments the aesthetic of your gorgeous dolls. :)