1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Secondhand Secrets?

Dec 5, 2010

1. I don't really hide that at present a majority of my dolls are adopted from other homes...but I don't really talk about it either because it rarely comes up outside an occasional discussion on here. ;)

2. Have you ever told someone that your secondhand doll was new?
      Only if they asked where I bought it (because it's an older type of souldoll body and somebody asked about it)
      If so, why did you tell them it was new when it was not?
      Nope
      Did you ever tell them that you didn't get your doll new?
      again: only if they asked about it.. and sometimes I would brag that I bought Kuro on the dutch marketplace xD
      and that I'm still happy with him and he's my favorite and such :P

3. I would never lie about that? I guess its not very important for people to know if the doll is new or second hand.......i mean if a doll is second hand she also can be "like new" because most of the doll owners are pretty careful with their dolls!!!! ^^

4. I love my used dolls... There's such a romantic thought of wondering what their "life" was like before they got to you, and what their owners thought about them and did with them. I like it! So I would never be shy about telling someone the doll is used if they ask, but normally it does not come up.

5. All of my dolls but 2 are used. I love buying things used because it makes me feel like I'm giving the doll another chance. Also, I like to help people out when they're trying to sell things. Most of the time secondhand dolls are better than new dolls. They pose better, and sometimes you even get some freebies with a secondhand doll that you wouldn't with a new one.

If I had to pick, I'd rather buy a used doll. It saves money, and gives a doll a second chance at being loved.

6. I've never thought about it before. I started my collection via eBay in 2005, when getting ANY doll new from the company was much harder than it is now, and the Volks Tokyo Boys I wanted had already been sold out for a couple of years. Probably at least half my collection is secondhand.

Normally I don't even bother telling people whether it was new or used, either way. Unless somebody asks where I found a specific doll, the question never comes up. And why would I lie? This isn't a scene where anybody gives a crap whether an item came new from its company; when it comes to collectibles, secondhand is often the *only* way to find the rarities/limiteds/oldies/etc.

7. Have you ever told someone that your secondhand doll was new?

No, but I've never really thought about it, either. I've told a few friends that my doll is second hand, but people don't really ask, and so I just say that she is a Soom Nenad. Not trying to deceive, just haven't thought that much about it. If it comes up it comes up, if it doesn't it doesn't. If I were selling her I would tell people of course.

I don't think I really said she was brand new.

If it comes up I do.

8. I don't see the point of hiding the fact that a doll is second-hand (or third- or fourth- hand). My collection is about 50/50 new/used and if anything, I can see bragging about the second hand ones - either talking up the thrill of hunting down a long sold-out rarity or else about the savings by getting a more popular doll for a discount price during a down market. Either way, it makes for a more entertaining story than "bought it from the maker/dealer"!

9. If my doll was secondhand, I don't think anyone would think to ask - unless there was crazy yellowing

10. Have you ever told someone that your secondhand doll was new?
      No... I don't see any reason to. It doesn't make him any less mine.

N/A

Yes. I don't automatically bring it up, but I don't hide it if it comes up. I usually tell my non-BJD friends about it to lessen the sticker shock ("I got him for this much, with these extras, which otherwise would've cost this much"). At meets I've mentioned it, too, like when I was asked when he was made because his resin was less pink than recent resin from the company.

11. 2 of 3 dolls that I own= used. I have both new and used. Personally, Used is nicer usually because sometimes you get a nice deal and other times you get to see the kind of care someone has taken of their dolls. There's also not as long of a wait and sometimes you never know what you are going to get, but used you pretty much always know what's coming in that box. I have one doll that's very very old, and I love that she looks so gorgeous and old. I love that she's almost an Antique for the BJD world ^-^ I proudly tell people I got her off the MP and that she's old ^^;; Many of the dolls I want, I'd have to get used anyway as they are either limited, or rarely produced.

12. I pride myself for buying used dolls/parts. I don't say I adopt, I see it like buying my other ones from companies. I tell everyone that sees her that I bought her on the market, and for the price it wasn't too bad, I originally paid 160 USD for her with her original CH body, then sold it and bought a littlefee body for 170 ish (forgot >.<) so she's a double used doll I guess >.< She's the only FULL doll that I bought second hand though my other I just bought a second hand body for.

13. Have you ever told someone that your secondhand doll was new?
      No. It doesn't matter if a doll is new or not, I don't think it alters the value or the greatness of the doll or anything. Besides, buying second hand is necessary a lot of the time. I have a Souldoll LE doll and a Soom MD that I bought second hand. Plus an SNG Ryun head that isn't available from the company anymore. And I have a Migidoll Miho with a gorgeous face-up that can only be bought in pre-order periods. The only new doll I have is my Mihael.

Yep. It's the truth... and there isn't a single reason not to. Where I'm from, it's seen as better to buy things second hand in a lot of cases. You're usually buying the same item for less.

14. I don't feel the need to hide the fact that I own secondhand dolls, there's no shame in that. Like someone already said, one of my most cherished dolls was actually bought secondhand too and that doesn't mean I'll love him less than a new one.

Like with the price, I will only tell if asked directly. I'm not trying to hide how I got it (that's silly xD) but I don't think is relevant to any conversation unless is about that or asked specifically about it.

15. If I had a problem with secondhand dolls, I wouldn't have half my collection. I've never felt the need to lie about whether or not they were purchased new & am more than pleased to get a nice deal on a "used" doll. There's no stigma attached so what's the difference?

16. I tell anyone who asks me. I saved a lot of money that way, and I've mostly been applauded for doing it. These dolls are just as beautiful used as they are new, and that's awesome. :)

17. Nobody has ever asked my whether one of my dolls was secondhand, but I would not lie about it. I have a hard time remembering which ones I did not buy new, so I would have to think about it for a while, haha! Luckily I wrote their status' down, or else in a few years I can see forgetting entirely ^^;
      I would rather buy new, but in he case of limiteds, there isn't usually an easy way...alas.

18. All my dolls are pre-owned and I'm not ashamed to admitted it. I love dolls and can't afford them brand new and I'm hardly could afford them pre-owned, they aren't cheap either but it's better price then brand new plus they already came with faceup.

19. Have you ever told someone that your secondhand doll was new?

No, I'm usually quite proud of finding a second hand doll. A lot of my non BJD dolls were picked up second hand, sometimes third hand. A lot of time and effort can be put into finding that doll/Grail that got away from you when it was first released so why hide it's pedigree.

20. Have you ever told someone that your secondhand doll was new?
      Nope! :?
      -
      Of course. It is not a secret and It is not shameful...especially if doll is limited.