1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Secondhand Secrets?

Dec 5, 2010

1. I'm usually pleased when I find something awesome secondhand and have always been proud of my finds instead of feeling negatively about them. After all, you save money, it is better for the environment plus is has history!

2. My brood are about half old, half new, although 2 of my 3 most recent are 2nd hand. If anyone asks, I will tell them that x doll is new or y doll is pre-loved. I see no shame in buying something someone else once loved a lot.

Plus with second-hand dolls, you get the chance to buy a doll you may have missed out on previously because it was limited or discontinued. :)

3. I have a few secondhand dolls and have no problem revealing them as such. I think secondhand dolls are very important to the community and shouldn't be looked down upon or kept as a dirty secret.

I'm very happy to have all the dolls that I own. When I look at them I see them as mine. I don't ever think this one use to belong to someone else. I can't separate them in my mind. They are here with me and that's all that matters.

4. yeah, me too being happy with the dolls I own regardless of origin. the only "problem" I have with pre-owned doll is finding time to work on them if necessary to return them to blank slate. (but then not having time means I'm working which means I can add to my doll family so it's all good.) sometimes it's obvious the previous owner put in major thoughts and efforts and that's actually kinda cool.

5. Have you ever told someone that your secondhand doll was new?
      No.

If so, why did you tell them it was new when it was not?
      n/a

Did you ever tell them that you didn't get your doll new?
      n/a

More than half my dolls are pre-owned dolls. For some of them, I'm their third owner and in the case of one of my grail dolls, I'm his fourth (and final!) owner. I'm proud of my pre-owned dolls and would never hide the fact that they belonged to someone else before they belonged to me. In fact, my very first doll was a pre-owned doll.

6. Have you ever told someone that your secondhand doll was new?
      Of course not. There's no reason to do that, and no stigma attached to a secondhand doll whatsoever.

n/a

I believe in being honest about my dolls' origins, whatever it may be. While the majority of mine were purchased new, four and two halves* of my 27 are secondhand in origin and there's nothing at all wrong with that. In general, it doesn't come up for most of them, and from most of my photos, you'd never know who's secondhand and who's new (unless you find pictures of the secondhand ones before they're redone). It doesn't matter one bit to me where they came from, though, or how many owners they've had previously**; I'm quite pleased with all of them and would certainly never pretend they're something they're not.

* Two dolls are new heads on secondhand bodies; a DiM MNM head on a Souldoll body, and a new MNF head on a secondhand MNF body. He's the only one that ever confuses me on how to truly refer to him!

** I know for a fact that two full bodies and one head had only one owner before me, and were bought new by the former owners. One secondhand body went through at least two owners before I bought it, and two others are a bit of a mystery, as is one full doll. I'd love to figure out more about him!

7. To be honest, I think it depends on who I'm talking to. I am not afraid to tell others who are in the hobby, in fact I would feel proud even. However, if I'll telling non-dolly folk (family and friends etc.) about my dolls I would never tell them that any were second hand (as most people are already horrified at the amount of money I spend on these dolls T_T) I would never lie and say that they were new, I just wouldn't mention it. They would not be happy to hear that I have spend x amount of money on something second hand.

8. I love things that come with a story already attached, so I love my second (and in one case, third) hand dolls. One person's unwanted cabinet baby can become someone else's cherished first BJD.

9. Have you ever told someone that your secondhand doll was new?
      Nope... because most of the YoSD are limited edition, so they should be a second hand doll >_>
      see above~
      Yes, it is not a problem to adopt a new doll into the family as long as you love them and give them a home ^_^