1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Seeing the doll that you love in gore mod, how to you act?

Feb 27, 2010

1. Sadly to say, sorry to people who do that.
      I think it looks stupid and weird. I feel bad saying it but i would never do it. I think it takes away from the doll in a way when they are so modded or 'blood stained' to were they don't look like the doll anymore. I get disturbed at some 'gore mods' because they are frightening. I haven't seen a gore modded DZ mo but I know I be upset in a sad way If I did see one :(
      Though when it comes down to it , it isn't my doll so I shouldn't care what others do. I view it as if I would never do it to reila or azula

2. Sticking with the "meh, it's not mine, why should I care?" standpoint. I mean, really. What someone else wants to do with their expensive luxury items doesn't make a bit of difference to me.

3. It doesn't bother me. It's not on my doll; it's up to them what they do to their doll - and yes, even to the rare limiteds. I may well admire the mod dispassionately if it's technically well done and skillfully executed, but I don't pass moral judgements on whether they should or should not have done it; it's their doll, and ultimately up to them what they do with it.

Hell, they could stick it in a woodchipper with a gallon of red paint and it would still be none of my, or anyone else's business.

4. I think gore mods are awesome! To me as long as its done well I don't mind, this goes for all customization though not just gore. I'd cringe at a poor face up over a well done gore mod. Either way I don't take it personal, its not my doll lol.

5. Sorry, but I make my "assumption" based on what you actually write on the Internet. It's like you weren't satisfied with the answers that people were giving that "it's not my doll so I really don't care".

And as far as a dog being property, it's still a living creature and I think there have been plenty of threads where people drew a distinction between a flesh and blood living thing and an inanimate hunk of resin.

That's all I have to say on this topic.

6. That would be awesome! :lol:

Other than that, I'm in the "people can do whatever they want with their dolls" category.

7. I personally don't particularly care for about 99% of the gore mods I see, so I tend to just skip over any thread that states it has photos of it, just as I do with other subjects that I'm not too keen on. As for seeing a doll that I own with a gore mod (or any other mod or thing done to them I dislike), well it's very easy for me to just look over at my shelf, see my boys and think, 'You're so much more gorgeous than anyone else's version of you.' After all, they're my dolls and as I'm sure most people here think, "mine are better cause they're mine".

There's only one doll at the moment I would probably pine over for a bit if I saw him completey gorey and such, simply because he's difficult to obtain. Quiet frustration at such a beautiful doll with permanent mods? Sure. Clicking away from the page with the intent to ignore it and a stronger desire to find said doll for myself? Also sure.

8. I think they're pretty darn awesome. To see someone put that much time and effort into something and making it look so cool and so real and so gross is awesome. I understand that it's scary to do something like that to something so expensive [[I feel that way, anyway]], but I still find it totally cool. I'd find it all the more interesting to see a gore mod on one of the moulds I got, or one of the ones that I love. xD I like to see people push the limits of what they can do, and I'd love to do something like that to one of my dolls if I had such a character, and the guts to do it.

9. Are we talking about just the same sculpt or an exact copy?

Lestat Gore-mode might be cool XD But a Chi sculpt, meh, wouldn't care I think. If it looked bad I might feel the "aww why'd you do that...I don't think that looks good" feeling but I wouldn't tell that to the owner. I'm sure people thing Lestat's faceup is horrible. (knows he needs a new one but is a bit attached and lacks money to change it) I've seen a good couple of other Chi sclupts that look nothing like my doll, they are done so diffrent, so half the time I can't relate them to my boy at all o.o so yeah.

10. I've seen a number of Shiwoos in what might be considered 'gore mods'...but I don't think the artist intended them to be XD;. I like seeing it, but it always makes me pretty glad to see a default faceup later.

11. I love the gore mods, I would honestly do one for myself. I work as an actress in a Haunted House, Netherworld in Atlanta, GA, so I'm pretty fond of the horror make up, (even though I'm a huge fan and dresser of sweet lolita... Haha).

12. I don't do mods but I am a fan. Gore mods can take a ton of talent and finesse, and the results can be truly spectacular! I don't care which sculpt was used, either; since anybody can be damaged, any face can make a good gore mod. If it's a well-done mod, then hats off to you. Ignore all those sad little twits who assume that, just because somebody else created something that shocks them, that it was created ONLY for attention & shock value. (Oh please, how tired is that refrain getting. :roll:)

However, on the other hand, my reaction depends on how WELL the modification is done. Like anything else, it's all in the delivery. Badly done gore-mods are just badly done mods. :P But seriously: I've seen more regular faceups that utterly horrified and disgusted me. Bad regular faceups horrify me more than any gore mod ever could..... Sharpie-like brows, lumpy lashes, conjunctivitis eyeshadow, infected-skin-rash blushing, guhhh. Now THAT'S horror! When that's done to a sculpt I own/love, I want to scream and go rescue the poor thing.

(But instead I just hit the Back button and get on with my day...)

13. I'd be surprised to see some of the dolls I like with gore mods given most of my dolls are pretty sweet or goofy looking little girls...but to each their own I guess. I don't like gratuitous blood or things like that in my collection, but personal creativity is a great thing to have. I don't seek out photos of dolls with gore mods, but I don't think I'd be too upset seeing a mold I liked with these mods. I'd prefer creating something a bit more subtle and quietly creepy, but again, that's just me.

14. I personally don't like gore mods, and so, rarely look at them in the gallery. However, I understand that it isn't my way but others have their own way.;)

15. I'm not a fan of gore, but I am a fan of well executed modifications. If I'm linked to a good example of a gore mod, I can usually look past what would normally squick me and appreciate the work that went into making it appear that way. Extreme gore isn't allowed to be shown here in any case :)

As for 'seeing the doll that you love in gore mod, how do you act'...well, the only acts you can make are either hitting the 'back' button or hitting the 'PM' button. If I see badly done mods on a sculpt that I own/love I just ignore it, if I see great ones I'm more likely to PM the artist and compliment them on their work.

I've seen mods done on SDC Kurts and I have (an unmodded) one myself. He is an LE doll, so that discourages me from doing anything extreme with him, however I don't disapprove or discourage others from modding their own dolls into a form they prefer. SDC Kurt has unique ears and face shape which could inspire other people into making him less of an anthro-amphibian and more of a mammalian creature, or even modding him into a full human. I'm not about limiting other people's creativity, I just prefer to keep my own Kurt default :)

16. I had to go get my doll and hold him...

17. I'm a fan of most mods anyways, so no exception here if it includes gore. This whole hobby is about turning a doll anybody can obtain into YOUR doll, isn't it? So if gore's the way for you, more power to you.

I'd probably be really excited if I found a well modded gory Mono. So different :3 I'd immediately get Matt and show him :XD:

18. I'd probably grimace at the thought, but then I'd probably check it out XDD
      I have MAAAJJOORR respect for people who can do really good gore mods. -onegreyelephant is amazing- XD
      I love seeing the good ones, the bad ones are just... bad.... but I cannot believe that a lot of them are artificial!! THey look so real sometimes X3 so I love seeing them.
      Buuuut
      I wouldn't EVER have a gore mod on my dollies ;_; I don't think I could live with a doll with a gore mod. I'm an extremely over-sensitive person who reacts really badly to visions of human mutilation and such... it makes me sad. :( but on dolls -that aren't mine- I'm just really interest XDDD

Sorry for the weird explanation, I'm a freak XD

19. I would much rather see a doll I liked with a well done gore mod than one that's dirty, damaged, has a badly done faceup, sock dress, blurry/grainy/bad pictures, etc...I like seeing many different things if they're well done. Even if it's a style I wouldn't choose for my own dolls, I love seeing skilled renditions of various styles and characters.

20. I think if I saw a doppelganger of one of my dolls (probably one with default faceup, and a matching wig and similar eyes) I would be slightly jarred, but that would be the case whether gore mods were involved or not. For me, the gore itself wouldn't really be a shocking issue so much as that I'm seeing 'my' doll in an unexpected place.

As for other dolls of the same mold that didn't resemble my dolls, I'd probably be happy to see any pictures of them as I admire them, even if they were gory (although I don't tend to happen along a lot of gore...).