1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Self control on $ when it comes to BJD....

Mar 29, 2007

1. :sweat Funny you should say this.... ... ...... ..... Haha. Granted I thought About the doll I wanted for about a year. knew exactly what I wanted. I nearly became obsessive, too haha. But Eventually I let go and didn't really want it, or so i fooled myself to believe. Then I got a check for a grand and that money was gone in a heart beat haha. On my Dark soo human and armidillo queen clothing.

Hahahaha.

However, it is the only BJD I plan on owning.

"Self control on $ when it comes to BJD...." There is none when it comes to me.

2. I impulse-buy occasionally... sometimes I regret it later, and other times I'm really happy I did it. The latter most often, really.

I really try to be good these days... I don't have the stray moolah I used to since I bought a house. ^_^ Priorities, man...!

And like Brightfires said... I too have a fear of debt. House debt okay... but credit card debt eats your soul. Nothing's worth that!

Raven

3. I'm afraid that I'm a terrible impulse buyer. Except for a few dolls which I thought about for a long time, I tend to see something I like & buy it. I also tend to buy dolls simply because they are a good deal, with the rational that if I don't like it I might be able to sell it for a little more. Fortunately (or unfortunately for my wallet) I've ended up really liking those impulse buys. I do buy a lot on the secondary market & from US distributors to at least save on shipping.

And with clothes, shoes, wigs & eyes, I'm horrid. I tend to go on buying sprees, a bunch of wigs, a bunch of eyes, etc.

It's not like I'm independently wealthy, in fact far from it. I have a mortgage & all the bills that come with a house to pay. I do however have excellent credit & always make sure that I can afford the monthly payments if I go that way. Also, having been into dolls for 20 years, I have a huge collection to fall back on for spending cash. Whenever possible I try to fund my doll buying by selling other dolls.

4. I tend to impulse buy more than I should. On the one hand, it's gotten me some great things. My BF Tommy, for instance, was something of an impulse buy, even though I had planned to get Dorian at some point. I just wasn't planning to get him that soon!. On the other hand, I know very well that I tend to do things that way, and I make an effort to stop myself, because it's very easy for me to overspend.

Lately, I've been trying to save more and resist the urge to buy every pretty thing that comes up. Which mostly means I keep my nose out of the Marketplace as much as I can! XD

5. I've yet to really buy a doll on impusle persay...However I've put one or two on layaway on impulse..never regreted it either. If I realy want to buy the doll and there's no way to get him or her right away, I wait till I see them in the market place...I figure that sooner or later they all hit the market place and since i've been here I've been right on.

So in answer to the question...yes good things do come to those who wait, but you've sometimes got to go with your gut.

6. Well its kinda hard when moneys really tight but i did with both my iplehouse dolls there lovely but at times i wish i had waited. Other than that the waiting period stops me going crazy:)

7. Oh dear, don't look at me. I'm one of the irresponsible ones who hides shamefully in the corner.

I CAN tell you that all my impulse dolls that I've bought I've ended up reselling. Think before you buy or you won't bond.

8. I'm a pretty impulsive buyer too.Usually if I have the money I get it. Now though being unemployed I have to think a bit more... though there is no telling how long I can wait. :D Having said that if I know that I can get for example a doll accessory later (ie it's not a limited item or anything) I'll usually wait till I have more than enough munny. :lol:

Also I can stop myself from buying if I know that I have to save the money for something else,more important. (Yes there are more important things than dolls. :P)

9. 1. Do good things come to those who wait? (good self control and patience) Examples?

2. Or those who buy them instantly? (hmmm even if you shouldn't be spending the $ but you still do because you just have to have it). Examples?

IM BOTH!
      O_O;;

Ive waited um a good 5 years before i dove in and finally got a doll but when i DID get my doll i bought him on IMPULSE and ended up starving myself for 2 weeks to pay him off ^_______^;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

10. Oh god. I have no self control whatsoever. I am, however, an EXCELLENT self-stress generator, so if I overspend too horribly I make myself ill until I stop.

Nope, not making this up.

I agree with the impulse buy sentiment, though. Those that I've either sold or been tempted to sell have been the ones I've thought about least. Everyone else, while the actual purchase may have been spontaneous, have been cogitated long and hard over before dipping into my all-too-generous credit.

It's NICE having credit, by the way, but I go into hyperventilation mode if I haven't paid it off by the end of the month (this has only happened a few times) so I guess "no debt" is close to how I operate. If not strictly, 100% accurate ;)

11. I'm terrible with self control as well, though I find that waiting does sometimes help. (Such as when I wanted my Lati Chaim--I was trying to get him on the secondary market after the initial sale was over and that probably was going to be insanely expensive, but then they put the ones that hadn't been paid for properly back up for sale so I got him without crazy after market prices. :D )

I can't really think of any times when being impulsive actually paid off.. well, I did nearly put myself into debt to buy Jolarocknrolla's U-da right after getting into a bad wreck and I love him to death and haven't regretted it at all since.. so perhaps in that case it has.

12. 1) Well I was going to get a DES, but then waited and got my lovely Juri head for free when I bought a body. So my first doll was less than what I thought she was going to be. And if I had waited until now I would be happy to have a minifee Shushu elf, and would have saved even more. :)

2) I am bad at this one. It seems sometimes when I say "I will wait a little bit and get this in x amount of time" and then POOF its gone and never comes back in stock!! This seems to happen mostly with shoes for me. So now when I see a pair of shoes I really want, I tend to try and get them if there is anyway possible, even if it means putting it on the card for a few weeks.

I am really going to try to cut back to one doll thing a month. Though I already have my April purchase on hold. Must have the pink shoes to go with the pink kitty wig! :sweat

13. I'm a bit of both. I waited about a year before I decided to purchase my DZ Mo. And as a first time owner..I'm super excited X'D So my restraint when it comes to him, although he isn't here yet, is pretty bloody bad. I have two custom items of clothing in the works from DoA members, his wig is already here, his stompy boots should be here any day now and I still need to blitz Dollmore and other places..'cause I feel compelled to XD! But I know I need a little restraint or I wouldn't know where to stop.

I'm glad I waited though before putting money down on any doll I took a fleeting fancy for. Although I still love Els :aheartbea

14. I wait. Wait, wait, wait. I make ABSOLUTELY SURE first that I actually like the doll. I look through lots of user pictures, and I've finally made a decision. In the end, I've managed to realize that some of the dolls that I first saw, wouldn't have really bonded with me. Luckily, through all of this waiting I eventually made a 'list.' I ended up finding one of them on sale in the marketplace. :P

15. Sometimes I can't wait, cause the doll is limited. AKA my Elf El. Luckily, I had the cash due to christmas funds. I sold another to purchase my Elf Chiwoo. Now...I seriously try to stay away from stores, the marketplace here...anywhere there is temptation. I want to pay off my debt. I just need more help.

16. I'm definitely patient. I can't imagine impulse buying a doll!! I basically don't buy anything on impulse, unless it's less than $50. XD Anything more expensive than that, I give a LOT of thought to. How badly do I REALLY want it? If I can't get it off my mind for like a week or so then I go ahead and buy it (assuming I have the money). Otherwise it's forgotten, so clearly I didn't want it very badly. :3

17. Argh, I have no self-control at all when it comes to dolls.
      And there have been times when buying right away has cost me, with only a few times when I got a good deal to balance it out.

One thought is, if I could have bought some of my limited dolls straight from Volks they would have been cheaper.

I never regret the purchase tho. I only ever resold one impluse doll, and that was a couple years ago now.

18. I pretty much have to have self-control over my money. Anything in my credit-check account is just enough for rent, food, bills, and school supplies. My first doll funds have to be kept in cash in a box I can't reach by myself.

19. I try to be sensible about buying things and spacing out my purchases, but lately I've missed out on so many items because I didn't pounce on them quickly enough :( I just don't like to make a lot of purchases at once, even if I know I'll just hold myself back from buying anything for a few weeks afterwards. I worry about my spending getting out of control- it already dips into my food funds.

I also just love having stuff arrive in the mail, it feels weird if a week goes by and I don't get some sort of present in my mailbox (yes, I pay for these "presents," but it always just feels like getting a gift- unless something is wrong with it!) :lol:

20. I find that good things do come to those who wait and not just in this hobby or any other hobby, but in life in general. Instant gratification isn't all it's cracked up to be, regardless if you have the money or not. You train yourself to be happy by welcoming one new thing after another into your life and you don't even get the time to enjoy what you have.

As for waiting, I find it easier to make good decisions if I wait. If I act on impulse I tend to regret it or find I could have done without the doll. If I'm still thinking about the doll weeks from the first time I saw it, I'll buy it. And treasure it all the more.