1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Self control on $ when it comes to BJD....

Mar 29, 2007

1. I normally wait. I have done impulse buys before (almost all the dolls that I've sold, save for 1 or 2) but the ones that have stayed were well-thought out dolls. My Yder took until I had the money, my Hewitt was technically an impulse-buy but I was looking for one at the time, my f-10 I technically waited 6 months to get him... and it was a fluke I ever did, and my Woosoo took my a year and a half. XD I say good things come to those who wait. Waiting causes you to think about the doll you want instead of buying one on impulse and regretting it later.

(That and it helps I don't always have money for a doll. << I'm sure if I did, I'd be buying more dolls, but they'll all been planned out.)

2. Reading all these replies are so interesting. ^__^ I think we can all learn from this thread (kind of :sweat)

3. I have pretty good discipline over spending money......just not when it comes to BJDs (lol). Recently I gave in to my temptations and bought a limited doll on an impulse. I feel strongly guilty for spending so much in one go and having to replace one of my favorite dolls, but this sculpt is exactly what I've been looking for and I don't regret it at all.

I should have exercised more discipline, but I figured that once in a while, it should be OK. ^^ I'm working to slowly compensate for what I've spent.

4. Depends what you call impulsive, I guess. I don't pounce straight away, unless I really know I can never regret it (like with my Tan Shiwoo), but I do buy frequently because I can't resist. I give it at least a week though, if I can, and if I'm dreaming about the doll, then it's pretty much settled.

Oddly, the two I have thought longest over, I have sold.

5. I suppose I can be said to impulse buy in that if I see something doll-related for sale I want, I buy it without much hesitation, but I wouldn't really count that since I'm an adult living independently with enough saved up so that I'm never spending money I don't have. I don't put any doll stuff on my credit card (unless I have to, for a couple of stores - how annoying), but even if I do, I'm able to pay if off quickly without a problem. If my situation were different and I couldn't easily pay these things off, I wouldn't do it. I don't like layaway.
      I'm very far from rich, but sales of things help with any 'luxury guilt' immensely. Things I changed my mind about or that don't work I also sell without qualms. If I miss out on something, though, I do not like paying unreasonable prices to get it after the fact. I'll either wait for it to come down to reasonable or justifiable, or I'll forget about it.
      Whole dolls I do try to spend some time thinking on, but I don't let that time carry me beyond the easy-ordering period. :) If it's a buy now, it'll be gone in 2 seconds thing, I'll think as hard as I can till the buying starts, then I buy. My closest to impulse buy was a Ciel, who I am admittedly having trouble with (figuring out if I'm to keep her). I'd always liked her, but I'd never seen her body and color in real life when I bought her, and they're a little tricky. There wasn't really much to be done about that; no one else around has one now so waiting wouldn't have helped :P I don't mind at all, though. I'll take my time and make up my mind.
      For people *just* discovering these dolls, I'd definitely suggest against impulse buying until one's at least perused a number of different doll companies' offerings ^^ If I'd impulse bought my first dolls when I first found out about them (and I didn't know the dolls I have now existed yet), I wouldn't be happy now and they'd probably all need to be sold.

6. I think all the dolls I've bought have been bought when I really don't have the money to spend.. but then again I very rarely have a spare $1000 to spend as I please.

7. this is how it works out for me:
      I am well aware that there is basically no way I will be able to get a doll $400 or more, so I don't even try to fool myself with that.
      It's funny how many people mention not being doll-buy-impulsive, but accesory impulsive.
      Not how I roll!^_^
      When it comes to wigs and eyes, I take a long time to make sure I'm getting a good price and it is exactly what I want.
      Dolls, notsomuch!
      I see a doll that is pretty enough and at a good price, and a size I want. Then the think cable turns off.
      Right now I really want another doll, despretely for company. I don't actually own a RESIn or STRUNG doll, only my Obitsu (which was what I wanted, exactly, but then right after I bought mine one with a beautiful faceup wig+eyes+dress shows up on ebay for a tiny bit more!!!!@!!!!!Rawr!)
      So I'm doll impulse happy!

8. I could never, ever impulse buy! It's not like I have $500 in my wallet, yearning to be spent. It takes months for me to save up (I'm a poor college student, self-employed with an unreliable income ^^;; ), and I try to be very careful about what I get. Unless I can get somebody to loan me the money, I couldn't do it.

Well, OK, Arnold was an impulse buy, but only because I borrowed the money and took my time paying the person back.

9. When it comes to spending money, I'm never impulsive. I'm a chronic saver.

I'm not really sure whether waiting or impulse buying is better in this hobby. I mean, considering how expensive things are, it's a good idea to wait most of the time. However, if something limited comes out that'll be hard to get and possibly even harder to afford if you wait for it, then if it'll make you happy and no one will become homeless if you purchase it, then impulse buying might work a lot better in that case.

10. Okay reading that and a couple other posts gave me kind of a different take on the whole "impulse" doll thing. I was thinking of impulse as in, buying it two days after you see it.

For me, it was my friends who showed me the dolls first. I didn't pay much attention until one of them showed me the only elf Kid Delf they offered then, Ttory, and something about her just snagged me. I HAD to have that doll. I spent the whole night planning for it, and the next two weeks struggling to get the money. And then I got her. And I'll never let her go. But I guess you could call her, and my whole beginnings for this hobby a bit of an impulse.

Now I have eight dolls, one head, and am being bad and grabbing a ninth. I only have one straggling Souldoll, with plans for a second. I've tried looking at other brands a thousand times over, but I always end up back at CP.

11. That thread on how much your most expensive BJD cost has a few people who say they impulsively dropped a bundle and then regretted it, and sold at a loss. Things like that bring me back to earth.

It's hard to say if I'm impulsive because it can mean different things. I felt like I was being impulsive when I broke my "only two dolls per year!" rule and bought my second only one month after getting my first, then my third six weeks or so after that, the fourth one month after that... I would decide what doll I wanted and manage to hold out for a few weeks and then give in. But in those cases I managed to save up in that time. I've never just seen a doll and pressed the "buy" button because I don't have that much money to spare at any given moment.

I've slowed down a lot, too, to give myself time to finish customizing and getting to know my newest dolls. So it also has to do with how you treat your dolls and what you do with them.

12. I've bought limiteds when I should have waited, financially, but couldn't afford missing the doll. Sometimes this is a bad impulse buy, but usually it's not--for me. I do think about it a LOT (totally angst over the buy in the short time I have to decide, anyway).

I try not to buy everything in sight, since that would really be insane. I do try and keep within my means without running up crazy amounts on the credit card. But I definitely have found it worthwhile to have been able to snap up dolls when they are available. I think it's very fortunate that people can do that. Those who can't... well, I'm sure good things come to those who wait and are fiscally responsible!!! :)

13. Well I guess I have a good self control... I decided to only have two dolls... A boy and a girl... The girl I already bought and I'm waiting for the shipment...
      Ah... I just tried to disctract myself from buying more dolls because my boy has three personalities ^^' He's a human, an angel and a demon... I only change wigs, eyes and clothes... Well... that's what I think, but I don't know if I'll handle it for too many time ^^'

14. Hehe, yeah--impulse is my middle name :sweat Of my dolls, Naioki, Taji, Rowen, & Lachlan (and 2 +head who aren't here yet) were all impulse buys. I had the money stored or saved at the time--or I did layaway, or scrounged and borrowed from myself but it wasn't like I'd planned them. And I love them all madly. I also have a wig problem XD But I've been trying to get it all under control and stick to buying wigs I know I'll use and sell the ones I don't. *Haha* Well, it sounds good doesn't it? XD But I have a good job and no dependents so as long as I keep a modocrum of rationale it's all good ;)

15. I just don't have any self control with money at all XD What I'm doing to save for my doll is that every time I get a pay check I'm saving $15 or $20 from it so that eventually I'll have enough to buy him.

16. I am not an impulse buyer, with anything. I think about the dolls I want for a long time before I buy.

17. If it costs more than $5, I usually hesitate on buying it. This goes for just about anything when it comes to myself. As a result, I rarely, if ever do an impulse buy. As a result, I have 2 dolls in almost 4 years now, 4 wigs, and 3 pairs of eyes (each doll came with a set), and 5 pairs of shoes for them.

There's just so much else that we need to get/pay for (mortgage, bills, food, clothes, etc). It's hard to be impulsive when the cost of a doll would pay the mortgage and buy groceries for a month.

Not to say I don't look at the doll company sites and think, "Oh wow, what a gorgeous doll/outfit/wig/etc!" As I often tell my hubby and friends, there's no harm in wishful thinking; it doesn't cost anything. :D

I actually have to be forced into being impulsive with purchases for myself, if that's not strange.

-Meredith

18. I'm one of the biggest suckers for stunning doll customs and that is NOT a cheap addiction, let me tell you.

I was able to get Valentina (who burned a deep hole in my wallet, she's my most expensive BJD) because I displayed some self-restraint last year when a swag of new dolls were released. The temptation is deadly, though the reward is double, even triple the satisfaction of that if I splurged on an impulse buy.

For me, waiting is the way to go. :daisy

19. I've given in to impulse on many an occasion, regardless of the price. And I havent regretted any of them, not even when I had to sell my kids. *jokes*

*breathe* just gave in a bought some dollflower eyes... hmmm yummy colour too!!! I guess we all budget and try to stick to it, I am a believer in good thing come to those who wait. If you have your heart set on a doll that you just LOVE, try not to be tempted by another one because of price!!! Its not nearly as satisfying.

It took me a couple of months to save for my Elfdoll Wu (Had to buy my kids back first LOL) and I'm glad I waited because he's beautiful and everything I'd hoped for, love at first sight <3

Ashvolt: I'm with you!! Going into debt for a doll will sour the enjoyment of ownership!!

20. i'm a patient buying i suppose but i really REALLY want my second doll now! My friends has suggested why not get him in a few years but i want my second doll by the end of the year if possible cos i just want him. So far i haven't impulse brought anything YET. hopefully this would last.