1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Self control on $ when it comes to BJD....

Mar 29, 2007

1. I'm usually quite good with controlling my spending... except when I see something that's on sale or limited, that I definitely want (e.g. I still haven't gotten a standard doll I wanted ages ago, but others have arrived home as 'impulse' buys)

While I probably should not spend at the time, I buy it anyway, because I look at it as 'long-term-savings'. You guys know what the 2nd hand market prices for some of these things are *_* I've never regretted any of my buys, though... but this will only work if you're certain of what you want.

I balance it out by not buying 'standard' things till I have extra cash saved up again~

2. I tend to spend the money I have as soon as I get it, but I've always been like that. ^^;

I just bought two dolls... they're both DZ, and I was originally looking at Freilian and Megi, but I saw the tan Fenyo boy and fell in love. :aheartbea So I decided to wait for Megi, got Fenyo instead, and ended up spending double what I would have. XD

But I've foundas long as I find that its worth it, I don't mind being poor. XDD

3. i'm pretty impulsive when i see a bjd i like... hehe but i try to retain self control

4. I wish I could afford to be impulsive?

I have too many bills to pay to save more than $100 or so a month for a doll, so my purchases are usually well thought out and planned. Not on purpose though, lol.

Even with wigs and shoes and eyes and all of that.... in order to afford the shipping prices I wait until I have a couple of hundred to drop all at once.

5. Um...I'm sad to admit it, but I am quite impulsive at times. For example, when I see something that I normally wouldn't buy on sale (like candles o_O), I become tempted to buy it. Then I don't know what to do with it. :sweat

However, I only do that when the item in question is very inexpensive. There's no way I could just buy a doll on a whim because I can't afford to. I was so close to buying Sha last December because I was afraid that once he was sold out, he would never be restocked again. DoD tends to do that. *_* I'm glad I held myself back though because I found out that DoD does restock their non-limited dolls and that they plan to release a new boy body. :aheartbea So patience is a good thing! XD Though...I'm wish DoD would release that new body already. :sweat

6. I COMPLETELY agree with that statement!!! O_O I LOVE getting things in the mail--it feels like a mini-Christmas when you order something and you're waiting for it to come. Eh...although, this rule seems to apply to any doll THINGS, but not the dolls themselves, at least for me. Waiting for my first doll was like waiting for a nuclear bomb to detonate in my basement. I never knew when it was going to happen, but I knew that when it did, it'd be a HUGE thing.

As for getting back on topic, I myself haven't been in this hobby long enough to notice a finite spending pattern. However, if I had to estimate, I think I'm somewhere in the middle of the two options, leaning slightly towards the 'impulse' category. xD
      Even now I'm in a fix with spending; I am going to AX in a couple of days. The weekend will herald a quest to Tenshi no Sumika in LA..... and I'm debating whether or not to buy a Volks Mimi while I'm there. xD Of course, that means that I can't spoil my first girl with wigs and Volks faceup materials, AND that means that my AX and California Trip spending money will take a severe blow... but it's so tempting, because I know that it might be a LONG time before my parents ever allow me to get another doll via the internet. And it would save on shipping costs...and it would give my first girl a sister....and it would satisfy my quest for a bigger SD sized girl that would fit into standard Dollheart outfits.....@_@
      As of now, I can only weigh the pros and cons of buying another girl. Since I'm extremely indecisive, this is extremely hard for me XD So, on the one hand, I can say that yes, I did think and wait and plan my money at least a month ahead of time before the potential spending date. However, the buy itself is impulsive due to the fact that I wouldn't be buying Mimi if I weren't going to TnS. :sweat At least, not for a long, long time.

7. I have been both, but have had to learn to control my impulses and wait for what I want or realize that there are just some things I cant have. Much as I would love 50 BJDs and to buy whenever the spirit moved me, I can't resign myself to sleeping in the street. Besides, where would I keep my dolls when I was homeless? lol

8. Very impulsive. When I discovered BJDs I lost a bit of control and bought a small fortune is dolls and clothes. I'm older and can afford it, but still I am not going to buy anything for a while. Not until I sew a lot of outfits and really get to know my new babies and who is out there. And when I get into the marketplace here....

9. i used to be impulsive T_T but then after i moved out from my mums place, i became really tight (and still didnt have money for food 0.0??) now that ive moved back in with mum, im still tight,
      ive seen a doll (felian) that i just love compleatly but im too scared to buy her, cos that would lead me straight to buying wigs and clothing, and a bag to carry her in when i go out shopping ^_^ all that are really expensive too, leaving me with an empty bank account *scarry*

10. I wait until the very end of the month when every bill is paid and I am close to getting paid again before I spent any money on myself. Then I know I can afford it and no bill is going to sneak up unexpectedly!

11. this hobby has taught me self control and saving. I'm unable to work so I just have a small allowance each week. I want my girl so badly that i find it hard to spend on other things now and i budget around events that i know are worth spending on like travel and stuff.

12. Hmm, tough one. My first doll is on the way and i saved around £30 a week from my wages towards her (i get paid weekly). But at the same time i started buying stuff for my doll before id even ordered her. If i saw something i liked i paid for it. My doll is due to be shipped soon and ive got her 2 dresses at home, 1 dress and kimono on comission, 2 different sets of eyes, 2 wigs, some jewelry, some underwear and a pair of shoes. All of these things were 'I must have it' buys.

Im saving up for my second doll again by the £30 rule but im sure im gonna splerge on items for it too before then!

13. When I was first into BJD's I had control, but now if I see something cheap I have to buy it, but when things mount up it isn't necesarily cheap afterall xD I need to stop buying what I don't need an not because its cheap.

14. I don't have enough money to be impulsive. :] I have to save and save to get even one doll, so most of the time I stay the course and buy that one doll. Occasionally, there will be a hitch in the road of saving when I'm about halfway and I see a head I love and I'll buy that. But... I've yet to KEEP any of the heads I buy on impulse. o_0 I sell them soon after because I'm frustrated at how slow I'm saving for the full doll.

15. Well when I first started with bjd I had lots of money to play with. I could afford to buy on impulse... and sell later if I didn't like them in person or suchlike.

Now I have a lot less extra dough (bought a house >_<) so I have to have self control!

Luckily I was able to really own a bit of everything before... I was able to and did try 'everything' every brand, every type. Now I know what kind of dolls end up staying, and which I tire of quickly.

That said it's still not always easy. But my rule of thumb is this: Do I like this new doll better than X (the one sitting accross the room from me). If not I don't buy. Simple as that ^_~

Raven

16. If it's a standard doll or non-limited, I don't see any reason why one shouldn't wait until they have the money in hand to order.

Limiteds are a bit trickier, because of the risk that if you don't buy NOW you'll either never see it again, or it'll be twice what you could have paid for it.

No limited (or not) doll is worth not being able to eat or pay your rent, though. Take on only a reasonable debt if you *must* take on any debt (although I'd consider it very ideal to not buy any dolls until you have the cash on hand for them if you can.)

My dolls do tend to be 'impulse' buys in the sense that my mode of operation is to go to the marketplace, see them, and want them badly. However, I've never bought one that I couldn't pay off within two months of ordering. (Although I have bought two where I carried a balance on my card for just a month to get them) I just only let myself go into the marketplace when I have the money that I could put forth towards the perfect doll if I saw it.

After all, I can't buy what I can't see, so when I have no money, the marketplace I do not go.

17. I have self control. He's named Rick. ROTFLOL. Though I love my dolls, I'd rather keep the husband. LOL. So I have to plan ahead and put money aside. Or sell dolls. Or I need to get my rear in gear and make some clothes to sell. LOL. So I don't go into debt over my dolls. Which is also why I only have two so far.
      Pam in DC

18. At the moment I'm the one that is spending the money cause I have it. But my first doll will be the only one like this, the others I plan on saving up for. I will have other things to tend to money wise and saving makes things easier (plus I don't have a credit card nor will I have the money to just purchase everything for a doll at once). And right now I would rather save up money to pay off the car I have now and trade it in for a car I really want. And pay off student loans and save for conventions I want to go to and the cell phone bill and maintence for the car and gas and insurance for the car. See how fast my money is going lol?

19. I am impulsive,but I have to say that all the dolls I have,I love, and at the moment couldn't sell any of them.So I guess it's worked for me.:)

20. 1. Do good things come to those who wait? (good self control and patience) Examples?
      yeah, you can wait for a better US dollar exchange (for those living not in U.S.) .. or for the event period, when you have the chance to get stuff free!