1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Self control on $ when it comes to BJD....

Mar 29, 2007

1. Like someone said before, if you're saving for a standard or another doll that won't go out of production soon, it's best to wait and make sure you can afford it before buying. With limiteds, I can't say for sure, but I'd probably at least make sure I can afford to spend that much on it right then, or can pay back what I have to borrow...

But because I'm generally an impulsive buyer, sometimes I have to hide money from myself in a certain pocket of my purse or place in my house that I don't check often. XD That way, when I'm tempted by a book or CD or some nifty fabric, I don't have the money on hand to spend it. I just... can't forget where it is. XD;

2. I have no self control when it comes to these dolls...! :mwahaha *ish always poor*
      *_* *_* *_*

3. *eyes signature*

...what is this self control you speak of?

4. I uised to be the type that bought bought anything and everything until i was in trouble, but now I am on a tight budjet, just when I got into BJD's, so i can't buy them unless I slowly save.
      The upside to only buying things you can afford means you won't have a anxiety attack when rent is due and your credit card payment is sky high and you have a negative balance in the check book. Take it from me, as much love as the doll gives you being super stressed about money non stop isn't fun and you would probably end up selling the doll for less than you bought it for.
      If it is a limited and you know you can 100% pay it off fast than I guess it isn't as bad. Or put it on layaway if possible.

5. Well, I guess my self control stretches this far at least... I've never bought a doll on credit of put myself into debt for a doll.

My credit card is one that you have to pay off in full at the first of each month, so I don't get tempted to abuse it -- I've been offered one of those you can pay off at your own pace a few days ago, but I decided to not risk the tempation.

6. I have absolutely NO self control on my money at all, I'm constantly raping my bank account and credit card with any money I earn/receive LOL *_*

I'm trying to control myself by starting slow with the dolls and everything, but anything else unrelated to that, my own clothing, accessories, music, etc, I am an impulse buyer, I seriously. cannot. control. myself. :doh

7. I waited a year to get my boy, sometimes I can wait.. :sweat And sometimes I CAN'T.

8. I always fully plan a character before purchasing ANYTHING.:)

9. BJDs probably won't lead to financial ruin for me, since I'm good at putting away money for big ticket items that I want until I have enough to buy them outright. On the other hand, I have zero restraint when it comes to cheaper things (DVDs, books, and manga), especially if I can justify it as being on sale, the item being especially rare, and/or whatever it is being something that I really really really have to have. So it probably won't be BJDs themselves that put me in the poorhouse, but the clothes, wigs, and accessories. ^^;

10. self control? whats that LOL
      BJDs and Chocolate :aheartbea

11. I feel extremely lucky because I still live at home, and my parents pay for my education, so I don't have to use the money I make on necessities. I can spend it on things I really just WANT. I definitely have a *little* self control though, seeing as I still have some dough in my checking account. Actually, my mom just said the other day, "don't you think you're going a little overboard on the dolls?" This from a woman who spends hours on ebay looking for vintage purses. So I said, "don't you think you're going overboard on the purses?" She said no, of course, so I went. "Well then." So yeah, to recap, I'm lucky, I have a teeny bit of self control, and my mom collects purses. -Theresa

12. Hee. Well, I'm in the midst of exercising some self-control right now. As soon as I ordered my MNF Shiwoo I went on what I'm calling "Dolly-Hiatus." No shoes, wigs, eyes, toys, or dolls! LOL!

Instead, I just reseach all the above. Dolly-Hiatus is gonna go out with a boom. :doh

Update: Dolly-Hiatus went out with two new dolls and a lot of eyes! :) 'tis time to commence D-H version 2.0.

13. PrettyInPink, I know what you mean! My mother used to collect ducks (glass, porcelain, wood, silver, you name it), so she understands the collector mindset much more than my father, who afaik has never bought anything in his life that doesn't served a practical purpose.

But since I'm 30 and have been living on my own for the past 12 years, they don't even notice just how many dolls I've accumulated by now. Really, I'm the one who's giving myself a hard time about slowing down with the spending.

I've told myself that I won't even start saving up for another doll before I've saved at least 3 times my monthly pay for emergencies. Then I'll start putting aside a little money each month for dolls. We'll see if my self control holds... I'd also told myself I wouldn't buy more than two dolls this year, and Raven, Mathilda, Jenite and Adrian beg to disagree.

14. Hm, I have little self control with spending. That applies to all spending though, not just BJD. XD

15. Ditto, I've had enough self-control for a lifetime. But I collect the bigger ones so nix the chocolate!

16. I suppose I'm a good things come to those who wait kind of person. Currently, I'm saving up money for my very first doll but I'm still aways off from what I need. I'm going to wait until I have more money than I most likely need so I don't get hit with the problem of being unable to buy. That is a smart thing do do right?

Also, I like to wait and work for things I want because, when you work so hard for something, especially something you've put a lot of thought and time into. So when the day comes that you actually get it, it'll be something you will cherish forever. Impulse buying, while fun, isn't always as fulfilling. At least, that's how it is for me ^_^.

17. Strangely, more than anything else, I have self control with money when it comes to dolls.

My only doll is a Delf Art, so she was a bit of a scramble. I had plenty of money to cover her costs, but it was a pain getting my mother to agree to letting me drop $1400 on 'some doll'.
      I don't plan on buying any more clothes for her, since I can make dresses for her. And just in case I can't, my aunt is an ex-seamstress, so she's glad to help.

I think that maybe I have a bit of shame spending lots of money on dolls because I don't have any friends who really 'get it'. About half of them criticize me and the hobby, and the other half think they're great, but not worth the money. I can't help but feel a bit guilty indulging on $100 dresses for a doll when I shop for myself at thrift stores.

...What I don't have self control about is music. D: In the past week I've probably blown nearly $400 on Jrock stuff. :barf I'm terrible with budgeting.​

18. I really don't have any limited dolls, and my collection of five, four (One was a gift) of which were bought over two and half years, all of which were carefully thought out before I hit the buy button. So while I have a fair amount of resin in my room I don't think I've gone overboard or anything.

I splurge sometimes on doll clothing, but I try to buy wisely, like outfits that can be shared, and sets I can mix and match and try to find pieces already in America so I don't have to bite the bullet of shippiong. I also don't buy eyes or wigs at all unless a new doll doesn't have them, and my crew only has four sets of shoes. All and all I think I'm happy with my spending habits. I don't mind buying the occasional well made outfit, or piece, but I don't have extras of things they never wear, like wigs, eyes, and shoes.

19. 2/4 of my dolls were impulse buys... my first one I got off eBay after about a year about knowing about these dolls.... I bid on him for fun, and was kind of like "Well, if I don't get it, then oh well." but then.... someone else bid, and we ended up in a mini bidding-war.... and I had to win. XD

My newest one I got from an anime convention in May.... I think I bought him mainly because he was so cheap. XD

I do tend to buy dolls because they're chepaer though. 3/4 of my dolls are DZ, if that tells you anything. ^^;

But I've never regretted any of them. They're like part of my family now, and you can't sell your family.:aheartbea

20. I suppose my self control is pretty good :)
      No impulse buying for me, since I have other things to pay for as well. And I am not planning to live in a cardboard box for the moment.
      But I had a litte mini bidding-war at ebay last, just like SDS-YukiChan mentioned. I just had to have that doll!
      And I ended up paying more than I had in mind..but hey now I'm a happy lady :D