1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"Sell your dolls" says the potential mate

Apr 24, 2010

1. I don't own enough dolls to weird anyone out, but I definitely wouldn't sell them because someone told me to :I
      I think it would be very rude of them to even suggest it! And very egotistical, to boot!
      Well, I'm not the kind of person to take crap from anyone in any situation, so xD
      (Once a friend told me the dolls were kinda creepy, so I said, "No, you know what's really creepy? This." And held up a genuinely creepy little statue of a tanuki I have. That sure fixed up his attitude! He even(respectfully, and very cutely) re-posed my Pipos :dance )

2. First of all, if someone wants there significant other to leave their hobby and sell off all items tied to said hobby, they a pompous shallow jerks. Weather they take interest in their significant others hobby or not, there is no grounds for requiring one to give up what they love.

Thankfully I have not had to deal with this, my boyfriend likes my dolls and greatly appreciates the joy I get out of the hobby. He sees the dolls as being a great creative outlet for me and encourages me to explore my full artistic potential with my dolls among other things. My boyfriend has even gotten to the point of talking about doll characters he would like to have for himself, he is very intrigued by the ability to fully customize them.

However, if my boyfriend took the opposite stance on the matter and said I shouldn't be in such a silly hobby, it would only make him a hypocrite. I would most likely end the relationship, because there is no point in being with someone who is going to dictate your life. I know I would be utterly miserable in a relationship like that, it would certainly not be a healthy one.

3. I was talking about this to my boyfriend last night since he is considering buying me my first dollfie for my late birthday present.

He said that we'd "keep it until it goes up in value and then sell it."

That made me feel a little angry and sad. After all, it is supposed to be my birthday present and I want to be able to bond with her and maybe learn to change her wig and eyes etc.

I am grateful that he is willing to buy me one, but I don't like the thought of one day looking for her to change her wig and finding out he sold her.

4. HA!! I think men tend to be more practical. Just tell him its going to be love and no way unless its not love! then you will want to sell it for another HEY you can be practical too right!!!

5. Probably not wise to get involved with someone who doesn't like your hobbies (whatever they may be) because that person simply doesn't get you!

6. hehe,
      well I started into bjd's about this time last year. And in that year? I've had no relationships to speak of! Sooo I've had no experience with any possible significant others giving a 'dolls must go' speech.
      But thinking on this topic I can't help but remember an episode of Sex in the City. Can't remember the characters names sadly, but Carrie's gay friend was dating a guy who collected porcelain dolls and kept them on his bed..he had like...fifty or more?
      I rmember watching this and thinking how creepy it was, and a rundown of the relationship the doll collector broke up with him when he accidentally broke one of the dolls during sex.
      This of course would be a likely very extreme sort of idea ona doll collector. I mean, I have read on here soem examples of people that sleep with their dolls, and admittedly I've taken a nap or two with mine. But I would think if youre having a significant other sleeping in the bed with you? the dolls wouldn't join you.

I don't think it's right for anyone to ever tell someon to suddenly give up a hobby or interest of theirs. If bjd's are a large part of your life then someone should be understanding that it is part of you, but only PART of you, and not part they necessariy have to interact with. if they don't want anything to do with your dolls, well it is possible to keep the dolls seperate as long as theres an understanding there. Now, if you do have fifty or so dolls..well it might be a little more difficult.

On the other hand, I think if you were bringing your dolls to bed with you, and they were coming between you and your partner...then you might need to re-evaluate. But again that seems a little extreme.

7. Forget it - I'd knock out the boyfriend, sell him and keep the dolls. LOL

8. It really depends on the situation. Of course my first response is "hell no".
      But under some circumstances, I would sell my dolls for the person I love (not a new fling, FYI, they can bugger off). If he despreately needed money and there was no other way, then yes.
      If it's just because he doesn't like them, I would never. If I'm going to be with someone, they need to at least respect this hobby, as it is such a big part of my life. I could never ask him to give up something important either, because hobbies are what makes people function I believe. It's where you can put your creativity and feelings.

9. It would be like someone telling me to get rid of my cats or my daughter. I think the cats would be a more common demand because even stupid people would get that someone's child would trump them. In my case, though, my daughter, pets, AND dolls trump the man. Sorry! I am a high functioning autistic person, so the whole personal interaction thing is not as important to me as to some people. I am fine without dates!

10. @ Empress Donna: If it is a birthday present it is yours- he has no right to sell it. Otherwise, you may want to say "no thanks" and just save up to buy one for yourself.

11. I got into dolls well into my relationship with my current SO 4 years into the relationship, We've been together for 5 years, and at first it was a little hard. My first doll was 80 dollars, but he gave me a hard time, because I was working on an internship and he was helping me pay my half of the rent. (on the one hand. he was right, really should have spent the money helping him out rather than something I wanted.)

But since then we've worked things out, and although he doesnt care for my hobby, he does take time to listen when I'm excited about something, and has even bought me a doll as a gift!

If he asked me to sell them, it would obviously have to be for a good reason. (IE: redoing our kitchen) but if it sounded fair, I would, because he gave up a lot for me in the beginning of our relationship.

12. i don't think I'd tell someone I liked I collected dolls
      doesn't create good grounds for love lol

13. Whoever says "sell your dolls" to me would not be a potential mate because I don't appreciate being told what to do. So long as I'm buying them with my money and have them in my own space (which I'd need anyway) it's none of their business.

14. What a wonderful husband you have eloisa :) The way he stood up for you... it's just beautiful T_T

I didn't log in for about a day and whoa so many replies! It's really interesting however, to see how beautifully people will say 'hey I don't like it, but I know it makes you happy, so it makes me happy'. I'm glad I'm not in that situation. When it happened to me, the guy was someone I had known for 6 years. He wanted to get a relationship started but he said that I should sell my dolls...so I thought 'LOL riiight. Let me sell things I really care about just to please you mr. control-freak'. I told him off , that I had no interest in being under his control. A few months later I had a guy friend of mine interested in me, and then he kept 'joking' --" But the dolls have to go..." and I said "Well no because I really care about them...". He made the so called joke a few more times on random occasions... I put him in my 'friends only' pile right away. lol

Now thank god, this guy is like 'omg they are so cool I love them! I... kinda want one...Kirill looks nice!'
      I guess people freak out when they realize how much they're worth. They only see dollar signs...

Speaking of dollar signs...I remember talking to a coworker that I thought would appreciate the hobby, instead he flips around and goes 'oh yeah we could start a business, make some dolls, mods and make lots of cash'. It almost felt as if he thought doll collectors were stupid people with money. I was so insulted that I never spoke of dolls again. It's just not about the money, it's about the beauty of them...

15. I had a boyfriend who was kind of like this a couple years ago. There were times when he thought my doll hobby was alright, but most of the time he thought it was silly, too much money, and just didn't want to hear about it. You know, I don't expect a guy to be all about my dolls, always wanting to hear about the latest wig or eyes, etc. But for me, at least a slight interest is necessary.

My ex was probably right in a lot of ways. This hobby is kinda silly sometimes, it IS too much money for the most part, and dolls really aren't something a guy is going to understand getting crazy excited about. But one thing he was definitely NOT right about was treating it like it was a complete stupid waste of money and a nuisance. My significant other could be into practically any hobby on earth, and if it made him as inspired and happy as my dolls make me, I would be all for it. As long as his end of the bills are covered (and mine always were), and the hobby isn't coming before our relationship or becoming unhealthy, it would never be a problem.

Luckily for me, I dumped that zero and now have a guy who's creative and really thinks my dolls are cool. He thinks up cool little projects for the dolls and always wants me to help with them. My boyfriend rules! :aheartbea

16. Hahaha that cracked me up. XD

17. I can't imagine having a boyfriend or even a FRIEND try and tell me to sell off a hobby such dolls, which take so much time, effort, and devotion. Its not JUST a doll. Its customized, and part of yourself is put into it. You can't just go buy another if you change your mind. I think its people like that who don't understand the doll hobby. Dolls freak my roommate out a little, but she'd never tell me I can't have them around, or should get rid of them. (She's a cosplay hobbiest herself, and likes making clothing for the dolls)

18. Ugh, how very controlling. The relationship would be over in no time, if the potential SO wants to control one sector of your life, he's going to want to control others. Sorry, but that's a huge warning sign and a total lack of respect. I've had friends in controlling relationships and it's so sad to see.

I'm pretty lucky though, my SO of three years is a big nerd ♥ He's a gamer and has played more games than I could possibly count. He's also an animator/artist and has a heap of his own developed characters. :B I'm similar in the fact that I'm an illustrator/painter and have characters of my own and my dolls are a 3D outlet for my human and anthro personalities :D He's pretty good about me owning dolls, he's had friends drag him to meets and he survived that! I was actually thinking of making him a mini sculpey BJD of one of his characters for Christmas this year!

19. If you're going to be with someone they might as well accept you for who you are, dolls, weird stuff, and all. The question reminded me of something I've been thinking for awhile like when one becomes older it seems as though they sell a lot of stuff from their childhood because they've "fallen out" of it. It just weirds me out that someone could do that with something they've loved for so long.

Ah! I'd boot him in his butt if he told me to sell her. Yes, they're expensive but they're not going anywhere. Friends/lovers/SO's come and go but these guys, for the most part, are here to stay if you wish it. I've had my parents say a few things but I'm an 'adult'ish gal and I have a job so whatever money I spend on her I'm spending of my own, not theirs.

20. That's the shocking part. Most people here replied that it was ok because the other person was a collector. The mean guy in particular was also a video game geek, a collector and he loved his JDM cars. I guess after 6 years of knowing me, he didn't like this new aspect about me. Bwahaha too bad, because I love it!

Astonishingly enough, my current bf is not a collector, is no longer a gamer and is very serious about 'life'(he's all about business) but he has NO issues about my dolls.

Reading all your replies is great. You're all so strong! I'm glad I am too. I'm also happy someone mentioned the difference between 'living with the SO' or not. It gives a lot to think about.

...should I be ashamed to say ...that in my closet are all my stuffed bears and my old barbies? lol. Nah! I've considered giving them away to children in need. They're so old though, that I'd rather just buy new stuffed toys and then give those to the kids. I guess I just couldn't get rid of that small rabbit I found on the street one day. I did say to him 'You've been lost/abandoned, but I promise to take good care of you!'.