1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Sellers guilt

Jun 15, 2011

1. Oh, I am planning on buying a SOOM Chrom or a Rosette school of dols soon.But The problem is I need money . I can`t really save allot of money since I have just spent my savings on a DOllzone Mo3 , and school is coming soon,so yeah, that would meann saving till X-mas.So since saving wouldn`t really work , I thaught I should sell one of my actula dolls, cause since I started collecting my tastes shifted allot , from loving the more cartoonish sculpts,to loving only teh realistic sculpts.The doll I am planning on selling is a Bluefairy Jasmine,wich is 1 year old , and wich I am pretty bonded to , and I fear that I am gonna regret selling her.But againe , I want my collection to shift from styleized to realistic. So yeah. I am inda thorn right now , with a huge fear on seller`s guilt.

2. I try not to have a revolving door of dolls, but sometimes they just don't 'fit' and I sell them on pretty quickly (mostly at a loss!). I don't feel guilty but I sometimes feel a pang when I see photos taken by the new owner and the doll looks better than I could ever have made her look. Mostly I feel glad that they have gone to a new home where someone obviously adores them.

3. I have a DD Aoi that's been with me for almost a year now due to this very issue. I originally bought her because of the extras she came with, and intended to sell her on to recoup some of the costs. I'm not particularly fond of her face-up (factory), and I have 2 others in her head mold. But a part of me asks if I'll miss her once she's gone, and what if I just found the right wigs/eyes/outfit combo that would make me fall in love with her. I feel guilty because a nagging part of myself says I haven't tried hard enough to bond with her.

But I don't spend time with her, and I've never actually even dressed her up (she wears her default slip). So I feel bad and would much rather that she go to a home where she's loved and cherished on a daily basis. :/ Decisions, decisions...

4. Ah, my boy Anastas isn't what I want him to be, nor is my Puki, but I just don't have the heart to sell them. Haha, it kinda makes me feel like I'm thinking of abandoning them. :sweat

5. So I'm in a pinch for money right now and have a feeling I might need to sell one of my dolls to cover some costs. I'm not as attached to this one as my others but I still feel sad selling him.

How have you delt with the parting of a doll?
      Have you ever parted with a doll you really love?

I feel weird being attached to my dolls sometimes :sweat But I know I'm not the only one... And I want to know other's experience with partings.

6. So far I have avoided this scenerio. I would sell dolls if I needed to pay rent or have medical issues suddenly appear. I would try to sell other things before the dolls however, if possible. Like my Furby collection or some of my manga collections or Star Trek collectables. If you must sell, try to sell dolls you could order later if you are attached to them. But check out the advise here on Den of Angels about raising money to buy dolls. You can also use those methods to save dolls you have and raise more money. I hope you don't have to sell and something comes up to help. My sympathies.

7. I have had to sell dolls for an emergency. I wish I had not had to do it, but there was really no alternative at the time. I just chalked it up to experience and sold it. After I knew it would have to go, I sort of distanced myself from it, undressed it and packed it in a shipping box. After it was out of my sight, it wasn't as bad and I didn't regret it as much. Now I don't even give it a thought, honestly. Time heals all (or at least many) wounds.

8. I do really hope it doesnt come to selling him :(

I have though been keeping him in a box so not to see him... It does help me keep a distance. Its such a sad thing to have to sell them off...

9. I haven't sold any of my dolls due to money issues or anything like that but I do feel bad occasionally about spending so much on dolls. Sometimes I force myself to sell some dollies because I feel being overdozed of them and just twice I've regretted my decision. I've had so much bonding issues so it's quite easy for me to sell some of them but I do have my special ones and it would rip my heart if I had to sell any of those. If anything really bad happened, I would sell the ones that are easiest to get back in the future.

Oh well, I don't have even ten whole dolls and I still feel quilty too often. :sweat

10. I would always try to sell other things before I'd sell a doll. I can always sell a cosplay and eventually (re)make another one, perhaps even better than before. But with dolls, they're practically irreplaceable and you can't guarantee yourself another one.

11. I entered this hobby thinking I would never sell my first doll. I still have her but with the incoming new dolls, I have considered selling her, esp since her head mold never really matched her character anyway.

I have sold dolls before and while some of them made me sad because I wouldn't see them again, others were going to a loving home so I didn't mind. I have a core group which probably won't change for a long time but there are peripheral dolls who are rotated out fairly easily.

There was one doll I didn't want to sell but I did because at that point I needed the money. I thought I would replace him soon but after he was gone I actually ended up not feeling like I wanted another of the same sculpt. So while it's hard to let them go, in the end sometimes it's just a temporary feeling. (on the other hand there is an OT doll I will always regret selling since I spent a lot of time painting her and she developed into a character that I loved.)

12. I haven't sold any doll before (I only own one anyway =B ), and I don't plan to, ever! I hope it never comes to that! I put a lot of thought, research, and mental energy into picking a doll before buying it, and even if I second-guess sometimes or don't feel close to my doll sometimes, I'm too sentimental about things like toys and stuffed animals to feel good about selling a doll. It's like Toy Story to me! XD

I know in my heart that even with stabs of doubt or whatever, I chose this or that doll for a reason (many reasons, actually), I made a solid decision, and if I can't find something to connect to in the doll it's because I'm not trying hard enough. It's not the doll's fault! I manage to emotionally connect with cheap carnival prize toys that I win by accident in a game of ring toss--so it damn well isn't the fault of the gorgeous $300 doll I spend months staring at online and mentally agonizing over if I'm not feeling bonded.

I'm not at all judging other people for selling dolls though! Just realized it may come off that way, but that's not it XD . Everybody has different ways of handling the hobby. But I know, whenever I think about it, even if I buy a 'mistake' doll with a face I end up not really liking or problems with posing or other issues, I can't imagine drawing up a seller's thread, packing the doll away, and just shipping it off (to a loving home or not) without feeling all sorts of "I'm so sorry"s and "It's not that you're a bad doll, don't feel bad", even if that's totally ridiculous =X . I'd feel so... apologetic. It's 'cuz of how sentimental I was with stuffed animals and toys when I was a child! Remnants have carried over to adulthood ^^' .

<3 ali

13. I know the feeling, Almyki... I would feel bad for the doll as ridiculous as it seems! xD I looked at the boy I potentially might sell last night and felt so bad @___@;; So i just quickly packed him away haha.

I too get way too attached to toys/prizes, not just dolls! I love little things, big things, medium things... Hmm I may try harder to bond with him <3

14. So, I bought my first doll last April, and I was REALLY excited to get him. After the initial wave of buyer's remorse (appeased by the sweet smell of resin and the sound of new joints clicking to life under my hands), I was perfectly satisfied with my purchase. I had a blank face to paint, an outfit and wig on the way, barely used pastels that I could bring my doll to life with, etc. and I took to the task of bringing my character to life with same open-hearted enthusiasm that I have when I start writing a new story.

Then the honeymoon ended. One body blushing, six face ups, two wigs, several sets of eyes, slight sanding modifications to the face and chest, a tattoo (and a tattoo removal), and a restringing later, my doll still just doesn't feel like my doll. I'd love to play with him but whenever I pick him up he feels completely alien, and I find that a lot of the time, I feel much more connected to the face-plates that my friend has sent me to paint than I do my own doll.

Naturally, I'm a little distraught, and I feel a deep seated sense of guilt, as though I've done something wrong. Did I choose the wrong character? did I choose the wrong doll for that character? Devastated, I've spent the last two months mulling the doll-world in the hopes of finding some sort of way to connect to my doll, only to have my search lead to another doll site, to a doll that costs twice as much as what I've paid for the doll I have now, and the writer that lives in my heart pointed and said, "Yes, yes! That's him!!!"

So what do I do? I feel a sort of obligation to the doll that I've already adopted, but it's the same heavy obligation that I feel when I have to mop the floors after the dogs bring mud in the house. Should I just sell the doll that I've spent the past nine months working on so that I can get this new, twice as expensive doll? I feel like a horrible dolly mama! Please tell me that this has happened to someone else.

15. Just sell him! You are not bonding, this doll is not filling your character needs, & undoubtedly there is someone out there who would love him & find him exactly what they want!
      I would not waste time on feeling guilty. Consider this - even if (as some people speculate) these dolls have some sort of resinance or energy about them, this doll is NOT in a positive space now. If you don't feel that way, even less reason to worry about it.
      My two cents LOL

16. Well, it hasn't happened to me for certain (as I loooove to bits and pieces my Yuli <3 ), but you shouldn't feel bad about it. Have you tried maybe shelling some other character to that doll? I've heard of a lot of cases where people just couldn't connect to a doll because...they chose the wrong character/personality for said doll! If you've tried shelling other character and still doesn't work out, have you tried maybe creating something new entirelly for him? Something that HE will make you think up? A new story, something?
      In the end, the marketplace is still here (ebay also), so if you really don't want him, you should send him over to a more loving house c: You shouldn't feel bad, it was your first, you maybe didn't know exactly what you needed/was looking for and he will go to someone who will love him and connect with him easily c:

17. I've had the same thin happen. I would say sell him or trade him. He's your first doll so I can understand being distraught about not bonding to him. You will find dolls that you will bond with. We can't handle these dolls before we purchase them to know that it's not a right fit, so don't feel bad about it. Just chalk it up to experience. Good luck!

18. This is something I'm sure a lot of doll owners experience at one point in the hobby. I'm sorry you feel as if he is not quite yours yet, but it is all up to you whether or not you sell the doll for this other one.

My second doll was not at all what I expected, but I never messed with her, and I admit that I really didn't try to make her mine...I did end up selling her, but at the time I had no intention of spending her money on another but I did in the end...

If you are keeping him just because you are worried that you won't be a good doll mum just think that if he does get sold he will probably go to someone who will really love him. After this you don't have to worry and can buy your dream boy!

19. If I don't absolutely love a doll I buy, I send him/her on to someone else who will. I don't make as many mistakes as when I first started collecting, but since I can't usually see the doll in person before I buy it, mistakes still happen occasionally. I think they cost too much to keep them if I am not enchanted by them.

20. There's no obligation to love your doll till you die. For two years I tried to make one particular doll work for me, but in the end I sold him to someone who absolutely loves the doll and I got a doll that I'm much happier with. All the negative feelings like guilt were gone instantly and I don't even feel bad about not missing the doll for a bit.

What Linakauno said: These dolls are far too expensive to keep hanging around if they don't make you happy.