1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling All of Your Collection to Buy Dolls From Another Company?

Oct 30, 2011

1. I started really narrowing down the companies that I'm buying dolls from. I have my Dr Who themed minimees and a few old faves, and then the rest from here on out are pretty much from Volks and Leeke. I did end up pulling out a bunch of my dolls to sell, since they no longer fit with what I want. Basically, I had a lot of dolls from a lot of different companies, and although they were lovely as individuals, my doll family felt like an incoherent mess. At first I tried just trying to fit sculpts into the same story line, hoping that that would help my group fit together better but it didn't work -- that was never the real problem. Also as the hobby has gotten larger and more and more companies have come on the scene, I feel like I can no longer keep up with what is out there anymore -- nor do I really feel the need to. I'm happier specializing at this point -- and those two companies have fantastic sculpts. I don't really feel like I need a lot of dolls from other places.

2. If I were to do this the company I'd stick with would be Iplehouse. When I started collecting bjds I wanted to just own tans-ebonies, and I love how Iple's dolls look and have features that work with the tones. It was pictures of Ashanti, Cocoori, and Aaron that drew me to them. I love my Benny and could totally get behind a collection of their ethnic dolls. My dad loves her, too, and was very impressed with how beautifully they sculpted her features. :)

3. My dolls are pretty much in the same style and all look good together (Elfdoll, Supia, Souldoll), I'm particular about them all having smaller heads and looking humanly proportionate.... But~

Now that I've molded all the characters from that storyline, I'm set to start on my Volks kids! I've always oved their anime-esque looks but I couldn't justify getting one before my more realistic dolls were complete. Now I have a Volks Piccolo on the way and hope for a bigger boy very soon. ^^

4. Been there, done that. Am there, doin' that. :) I've been collecting off-topic fashion dolls for a little over 6 years now, and when my collection didn't have a focus; dolls would move in, be enjoyed and move out as my tastes and focus of collecting changed. Now, it's a little harder to do because a little over a year ago; I decided to merge my collecting with the fantasy stores that I write, so I went on a hunt to find the dolls that best fit the vision I have in my head of all the people in my Empire. The characters are near and dear to my heart, so the dolls have become as well. I still managed to sneak in a few who had no specific purpose and those last hangers on are being rehomed as we speak. My off topic BJD (who happens to be the Empress in "My World") wants a daughter, so... :)

I know my BJD collection will never be as large as my fashion doll collection was/is. But with the versatility of the BJDs; I don't think it needs to be.

5. I have a soft spot for Volks and Dollstown bodies, but I don't think I would be able to collect dolls from just one company. There are too many sculptors I admire. [looks at her motley crew]

6. Sometimes you need some time to discover what you like. I've become more picky about bodies and am almost finished selling off the bodies that no longer fit my wishes. (Already got a Volks body to replace one of the sold bodies, although I don't see myself meandering towards owning dolls from one company only.)

Sometimes a collector has been in the hobby for a while and then suddenly a company starts to make exactly what they've been looking for all this time (perhaps without even knowing this is what they've wanted all that time). I've seen people experience the "This is it!" moment after Iplehouse started with their realistic sculpts or after Soom started with their fantasy dolls.

The only advice I can give is: Sell the dolls that you don't like anymore, because you don't like them anymore and not because you need money to buy new dolls. If you managed to save up for your current dolls, you'll probably manage to save up for new dolls as well.

7. I sold off some other things (not dolls, but from another hobby) to get into BJDs and I have stayed within one company--Blue Fairy. They're fast, they're honest and they have such lovely dolls!

Part of that was due to my wanting my collection to coordinate with each other, and part due to me wanting to stay in one size range so I wouldn't have to get clothes, wigs, etc in different sizes.

I confess I have been looking at Luts Kid Delf line, but am not sure yet.

So yeah, don't be afraid to specialize if you find a company you like. Get a Volks doll and make sure, first!

8. I did sell a lot of dolls to get ONE doll, if that counts. ;) My Lusion Dahlia. Her cost was outrageous but I had to have her. :)

9. It would have to be one heck of a doll for me to sell all of my collection to by ONE doll. Granted, my collection currently consists of none but that will be changing soon. But the fact that I've wanted the doll I'm saving up for for years now plus I'm paying extra to have her the way I truly want her well, I don't see myself giving her away anytime soon.

10. While I am extremely picky about dolls and which company I get them from, I can't say I'll be getting them all from one company. Heck, the first three I want are all from three separate companies. :lol:

I don't think I'd ever be able to sell my dolls for a doll from a different company either, unless it happens to be a doll I just can't bond with.

11. I can't do the "one company" thing. I like a lot of diversity in my dolls and it bothers me if two even have the same body (though that IS the case with a few...Maddy/Venice, Mike/Jayson)

But I really love BlueBlood Doll. BBD makes me want ALL of their sculpts! They'd just have to be different bodies....