1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling all of your dolls to buy one or two?

Nov 3, 2010

1. I suspect it eventually happens to a lot of us. I've had similar thoughts about my own collection.

2. If you're not happy with the state of your collection, then go ahead & change it until it feels right! This can take trial and error. If you have dolls that don't fit your current needs, & you need dolls that you don't currently have, then adjust this by any means necessary. Your gut will tell you when you've done right by yourself.

I myself am not much of a purger.... I just collect the dolls I want until I have no more room. I wanted a whole farking harem, and a harem I have built. I've only ever sold one doll, & that was to replace him with the same doll in a different color. But then again, my collection does not follow any storyline or character-requirements, so I allow myself free rein to collect I want; everyone's collection is different.

3. Awwww. I'm kind of fond of your harem. I always enjoy your photoshoots. But you've got to do what feels right for you. Certainly it's easier to spoil two dolls rotten!

OP, from where I'm standing it just looks like your taste has evolved in a different direction. My own crew is very eclectic, and if I ever decided to narrow down the focus of my collection, several of them would have to go. I think people do this a lot-get into the hobby and experiment with different doll forms-styles, sizes and the like. Then they eventually figure out what really appeals to them. There's nothing wrong with it and it doesn't mean you're fickle or shallow.

4. I don't think I ever would. Even if I was forced into it I think I may cry. I buy dolls because I become emotionally attatched, so it would almost be like giving a child up for adoption. I'd rather keep the dolls I currently own then rid of them for a new one.

5. I see nothing wrong with doing that. I'd rather have my dolls go to someone who would appreciate them than sit in my closet alone all the time!

If you have characters from old stories, all the more reason right? If you feel these molds represent your character better then I say totally go for it. It's nice to spoil your dolls and have the whole 'quality' over quantity thing ^-^

6. It's not bad.....just a matter of choice, however I will not sell any of my dolls. :)

7. I would sell a fair number of my dolls to buy one really awesome one :3
      in fact I have D: I don't miss the dolls I re-homed and I ADORE the one I bought with the money.
      I may do it again later, and then leave the forum to cut off/cut down the temptation for new babies D:

8. I find nothing wrong with "refining" a collection. When I first started, I was afraid to invest a lot of money in a new hobby that I wasn't totally committed to, so I purchased more affordable dolls. Now I'm at the point where I see where I want my focus to be, and yes, a few bjds may go to live somewhere else so I can afford an Iplehouse (or two, lol!) I've done the same with my Barbie and Tonner collections also, keeping only the ones I'm totally in love with. People change and grow, we keep some things and discard others. That's life!

9. Hey, they are your dolls-- you get to do whatever is right for you.

Personally, I wouldn't do this because I'm not shelling characters. I buy dolls that I like and what I like doesn't change drastically enough for me to do this... but I don't see anything wrong with doing something like that if that was what you wished to do.

As far as selling a gift... That's tough for me to do. If it makes a big difference to you--as in, it is a make or break thing in getting things more as you truly desire, then I'm sure people would understand (or maybe you can tell the person who gifted you the doll and make sure they know that their gift is going to help them achieve your dream... although if you think that will still make them unhappy, then maybe you might have to try another way to make your wishes happen?).

10. I wont do it.
      I own my 2 absolute favourite dolls. But I sell some other stuff that I like to geht new dolls ^^.

11. I've wavered between the idea of continuing my chronic suffering from resin brood syndrome, and re-homing nearly everyone to have one certain doll I really want but can't really get without significant dolly sacrifices. I'm still at the point where I'm weighing those options out of what I'd like to do...I think it is an eternal quest for the BJD owner to make a collection make the most sense for them, be it many dolls or a that one special doll that gets all the attention.

12. I've thought about doing this a few times just because I wanted the [insert newest awesome doll here], but luckily my husband (who knows how much I love them) stops me. He actually compares them to having kids. "Would you trade in your kid for whatever reason you want to trade this one in?!"
      I'm really glad I haven't done it, because I enjoy creating stuff for them which is the whole reason I got them in the first place. However this just means I have to really want a doll, before purchasing them now.

13. I used to have two dolls and spoiled them, now I have many dolls and I still spoil them XD For me, many dolls works better because that way I can divide the many things I like between several dolls and those two don't have to be 'everything I like in one package' and I can focus more on their individual style.

But, I do 'rotate' in a way that I often work on one doll at the time and that I completely change his look, new face-up, maybe some bodyblushing or tattoo's or mods, new clothes, new wig, new shoes..then for the duration of that 'project' I don't do a lot with my others and it's as if that one doll is my only doll, then when I'm done I either move on to the next or I have a time where I play with all of them equally. Or I change doll projects midway because I can't continue yet on the first one(for example, his wig has not arrived, or I don't have materials yet to work on him), and then I switch onto a next one. For me, that works the best but I can imagine people would feel that it's better to just have two dolls and spoil them. I like the option of spoiling one doll at the time while having many more to look forward to as a next project.

14. If that's what you want to do, go for it. I've sold a couple dolls that just weren't working for me, and replaced them with ones that do. One was a Christmas gift from my parents (which I actually had to order, but they paid for it). I think my mom waas happy to see one of my 'super creepy' dolls leave, though, even if she did get it for me.

15. Actually thats what I've been doing...I want to go back to just one doll, however I'd like to be be complete (It always galls me that my dolls are never complete) and will be purchasing a Dollfie Dream fullset (I'd like more of an anime look to my one doll)

16. I don't think there's anything wrong with selling down to only own a couple. With as much money as is spent on this hobby, there is no point in hanging on to a doll that you're not happy with.

I personally at this point wouldn't want to sell down to just one or two unless I really needed the money. This is because I'm very happy with the ones I have. I've sold or traded probably 30+ dolls because they didn't fit with what I had in mind though. I've only regretted parting with one of them, and even then, it's not a huge regret.

I do from time to time rank my dolls in my mind from ones I would easiest part with to the ones that would be hardest to let go of. Just in case I do down-size because of an emergency, and that way I can be more mentally/emotionally prepared.

17. Before BJDs I collected Pullips. I just sold three of them this week. I don't know until when I'm keeping the rest of them. But this isn't quite the situation, since I'm quitting fashion dolls and moving to BJD collecting. :P

18. For me, and anyone who might be in a position to give one to me as a gift, a bjd is a huge, unnecessary, luxury expense and therefore the decision to get one is not made lightly. Hopefully after putting that much thought into a purchase I would not change my mind too easily.

But......if the dolls I had were not thrilling me anymore then yes, I would sell them all to get that one special one. This has sort of happened to me already in that I will likely get rid of my non-bjds when the "real" ones arrive.

Gift dolls though? That's a touchy one. Depends on my relationship with the person who gave me the doll and whether or not I felt they would be badly hurt by the sale of their gift.

19. I sold three to buy one.
      During my divorce, I sold his 3 favorites to buy my Hinata, Ducky. Never regretted it for a minute.

20. There's nothing wrong with deciding to overhaul your doll collection -- tastes can change over time, new dolls come out, people can go in different directions in the hobby.

At one time I would've said that would make me feel guilty, but not so much anymore. I've not done anything that drastic, but I have swapped characters around into different bodies and let some characters (who weren't apart of the main story line) go so I could use their bodies for my main group. I have one doll that I'll probably end up selling unless I'm hit by a sudden bolt of inspiration, since I've had her packed up for quite awhile now -- in short, I've made changes to my group that I didn't think I'd do a few years back. It's hard to spend a lot of time in the hobby and never make changes.

At first I felt a little guilty about making changes to dolls that I had owned for awhile, but now I find it rather freeing to be able to retool my group to better suit what I want.