1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling all of your dolls to buy one or two?

Nov 3, 2010

1. Taco-- you are so on target with that statement. Couldn't agree more!

2. I don't see anything wrong with that. O3o I mean, if you're really not happy. ^^ And if you're not attached to the ones you're planning to sell. ((Like I'd personally not be able to do it. :sweat ))

3. Like others have said, it's practical decision making, nothing to feel guilty over. I sold my first two dolls in order to get my Saint, and it was the best decision I've ever made, bjd-wise anyway. Granted, I didn't sell all my dolls at the time, but if I felt the same way about the rest of my dolls as I did about the ones I sold and if there were more dolls I really wanted at the time, I would have sold them off too. It's common to hone and refine a collection in this hobby.

4. Keep what you love, and find someone to love those you don't.

5. I'm doing it right now.

6. When I decided to buy a bjd, I intended to sell almost all of my OT dolls to finance the purchase. When I went to do research on eBay, however, I discovered that you can't give away these OT dolls. The bottom has dropped clean out of the market. So I'm keeping them, even though I'm no longer really interested in them (like everybody else on the planet, it seems).

Also, I don't see how "right" or "wrong" work into the equation, unless the dolls you intended to sell were genuine family heirlooms. And even then, it's going to be your call.

7. I don't think there's anything bad about that, if you really want the BJD and you're having financial difficulties to get it, why not?
      It's not a bad thing to sell your current BJDs, that's why there's a second hand market in this community :)

But personally, I would probably just give up the expensive one and try put my focus back to the ones I have LOL
      simply because I do really like the BJDs I have now and don't want to let go of them ;)

8. it's really a matter of choice. as in, if the dolls you WANT to get are really THE ones you want, be it for you characters or because you really really love the sculpt etc, and the dolls you're selling are comparably less in worth (to you, and not in monetary terms), then, do it.

it's really how you feel about the dolls at hand.

personally though, i'll probably not do it, because i do think for a very long time before buying a doll, and i want to avoid having to sell my dolls. if i miss a (new) doll because my finances are tight (eg. from buying doll clothes), i'm still okay with it, because i know i'm happy with my crew now. :D

the new dolls will just be ADDITIONAL, and i really prefer keeping what i have, over taking the risk to sell them for new dolls.

9. If the doll you want to love and spoil is tugging at you enough that you can imagine parting with so many other dolls, I think it's worth it. :)

I did something similar over the summer, when Volks released Lieselotte. I sold all my dolls under SD size for the chance that I might win a Lieselotte. Thankfully, my wish came true! It was worth it to me to "trade them in" for just one girl and it's kind of a relief to not have so many and to not have to keep up with so many different sized eyes/shoes/clothes/etc. I've been collecting for a few years and have drifted away from the hobby a bit. Right now, I prefer to just have the few really special ones that make me smile. :kitty2

10. I could never do such a thing, and personally I find it disrespectful in some situations. Sometimes it takes time to figure out which dolls work, but I know of some owners who buy and sell dolls simply because newer molds are being released. I feel with that sort of handle to the hobby, that person may never end up with a doll they'll be satisfied with. It seems thoughtless and painfully unsentimental.

11. yes..i would feel horrible and guilty to sell my doll..it just feel like the doll had a feeling and soul in it

12. I agree. "Thoughtless and painfully unsentimental" behavior scares me.

To the OP, if you just need the money, why not wait and save up?

13. I think I'd be willing to do it if I had that many dolls. I'd much rather have one or two dolls I absolutely adore than a whole family I don't love quite as much.

I don't really see anything that bad about selling dolls. They're only special for as long as you love them. If you stop loving them, then it's sad, but that doesn't make selling them WRONG.

14. I've thought about selling my girl to help put some money towards a doll I want several times, but I can't ever seem to bring myself to doing it.

I have a sort of packrat personality so selling stuff is always hard for me.

15. Eeehh I get really attached to my dolls so I don't think I could, I've wanted expensive girls so I just waited to save up cause even if it is a limited edition someone else will sell it at another point (Although honestly if it was a LE at original price I'd just borrow off a friend or parent or something)

16. no i think if you have enough money i can buy the doll you like but if you do not have enough i think you can't sell all of you doll to buy a new one

17. I'd actually considered doing so at one point. My first two dolls were DoD minis that I'd had for a couple years. Then I ran across Fairyland and completely fell in love with their version of the MiniFee and the active line body system (and the magnetic option hands, those still make me drool). If Fairyland had been around in 2006, I would have ordered from them instead.

At that point in my BJD evolution, I wanted a limited (small) collection, so I would have sold my DoDs to get the MNF. But, thinking in about it, I considered the fact that there had been a reason why I had chosen the dolls I had. Just because there were these shiny new dolls, did I love my current resin kids any less? Turned out the answer was, and still is, a resounding "NO."

I just decided to be happy with what I had.

18. I just sold a handful of dolls to buy two big ones I wanted, and I'm thinking of selling more to get another.
      It happens. :)
      Do I feel guilty about it? Yeah. But I move on.

19. Well, I don't think I could sell them; once I've bought them, they're my dollies, and they're here to stay. And, if I don't have a story they will fit, I'll just create another one for them. I've actually done that, since only one of my dolls fits a character of a previous story. I'm still looking for the embodiment of my most loved characters, so far I've found just one sculpt.

I do know of people who reshape their collection over and over again until they find the ones they love. I guess I'm just a bit odd :) I love watching people redo their collections, though, they always come up with interesting and beautiful new sculpts...

20. In my case, I wanted to get BJDs but had no experience with them and was afraid to put money into them in case I did not like them or the resin was not good. I decided to sell some of the fashion dolls I owned and some general dolls I had in a display case and were not really being touched or played with. I did that for many of my first BJDs. I also made some outfits on commission. And the last BJD I bought I souly financed him by selling off more older dolls from my collection. That was the only way. Otherwise I would have to do layaways all the time to get my dolls.