1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling Dolls Given as Gift - Giving the Gift of a Doll

Mar 1, 2011

1. My husband and I bought our daughter her first doll for her birthday. She has loved it since she opened the box. I honestly don't think my feelings would be hurt if she should decide that she no longer loves that doll and decides to sell her in the future. I want her to enjoy this hobby and her doll and if she isn't getting that satisifaction then I want her to move on.

I got all I needed from seeing the pure joy on her face when she opened that box.

2. Every time I give a doll away i let the new owners know that I won't be offended if they decide to sell it :3 they always assure me that they don't ever want to, which is really nice.
      on a personal note, I had a Grit human head given to me by my girlfriend last year, which I hybridized and took good care of. We broke up and it hurt me to keep her, so I sold her to friends, thankfully ones living in the same city as myself. After a little while I missed her terribly and felt very guilty for having given her up so easily, especially since she was given to me by someone rather notorious for being slightly tight-fisted. After my girlfriend and I got back together, the chance to buy my Grit back arose, and I snatched her up straight away! I still have three payments to go on her, but she's happily home with me and her brother Grit <3

3. Personally, I doubt I'd ever buy anyone a full doll - maybe parts of a doll like horns, fantasy parts, etc but never a full doll. But let's say, for the sake of argument, that I did get a full doll for someone. Would I be upset if they decided to sell it? Probably not.

For the most part, it depends on the situation. If, for example, they're in a really bad financial situation where they're having to sell off their assets in order to get some money just to pay for food, pay their bills, etc - I would never, ever blame anyone for selling luxury items (like bjds) off in order to get money so they can feed themselves, pay the rent or anything else they might need the money for.

On the other hand, if the person was not in financial troubles and they immediately sold the doll as soon as I gave them it as a gift? I'd feel quite annoyed with that; but in the end, it's their choice because I firmly believe that once you give a gift to someone, it's no longer yours even if you used your money to buy it. It is their property.

And this is just my own personal opinion and feelings on the matter, but if I'm going to spend money on anyone or give them gifts, I need to be prepared for them to do whatever they see fit with the money/gift once I've given it to them. Again, it might annoy me if they turn around and immediately sell a doll/gift to make a few quick bucks then blow it on video games or whatever, but that's their choice. If that's what they want to do and if it makes them happy, then so be it - at least in the end, whatever money I spent on them went to good use (even if it means they sold the doll so they could get video games or whatever else they wanted instead).

Anyway, as for the other question of whether I would ever sell a doll someone gifted to me? Yes, I would. I'd have no qualms doing it; but two things should be noted. 1) I only ever sell dolls when I need money (like I'm currently selling off doll parts right now because I need extra cash for various things that are more important to me than dolls) and 2) I'd notify the person who gave me the doll first and tell them that I intend to sell the doll, and my reason(s) for doing so. I don't think I require their permission to sell the doll or anything, but I think it would be nice to tell them about it rather than keep it a secret from them. If they're going to throw a hissy fit or get upset about my decision to sell the doll, I might as well tell them about it myself than wait until they find out for themselves later on.

4. I feel the same. Still, it can be hard for me not to feel guilty about selling things I've been given as gifts or inherited even when I no longer am interested in them, don't have the space, and would like the money to help out with bills. I wouldn't be offended if someone sold or got rid of a gift I gave them, but in the case of a doll, I would ask that they ask me if I'd like to buy it first, 'cause I'd only buy a doll I also liked as a gift for someone.

5. If I'd put a lot of thought into looking for the perfect one for them and they sold it because they wanted to get a different doll/something else they liked better, I'd be sad that I hadn't managed to get just the right thing. I like to know that I've gotten people gifts they'd really want. Would have nothing to do with being upset with them, though. If I give someone a present, it's theirs to do what they like with. There might be some cases I'd want them to offer it to me to buy first though, if they were gonna sell. XD
      I'd feel guilty selling a gift in most cases. Then again, I've done it despite the guilt with things given to me by ex-lovers, friends I lost touch with years ago and don't find myself missing at all, relatives I'm on awful terms with, etc. =P Rather have the money than the reminder sometimes, and they're not in a position to ever know that I've done so, let alone be sad about it.

6. I think I would feel bad about someone buying me a doll in the first place, the price is so high I know any present I got them in the future wouldnt really live up to it. But at the same time im very picky about things like dolls and would be terafied of not likeing it and feeling unable to sell it since they obviously put alot of thought into it and probably had to save up a long time.
      I'd probably end up keeping it and just customising it to death and making the most of it even if it wasnt my personal taste to start with.
      Its doutful I could ever afford to get someone a doll as a gift...but if I did and it wasnt to there taste I would want them to sell it and get one they would really love :3

7. I think you should be able to sell it for what you want more. :) The people who give you things give you them because they think you want them, if you were only keeping it to keep them happy then they wouldn't be successful in giving you a great gift. In my opinion that is.

8. My answer's simple. I could NEVER part with a gift, and if I gave someone else a gift, I'd want them to feel the same. I treasure every gift I receive, be it art or earrings or whatever.
      So if I gave someone a doll as a gift, which I'd actually like to help my friend buy her first BJD as a birthday present, I don't think I'd ever get her another gift ever if she sold it. x3;;

9. I've never been given a doll as a gift, but I have used gift money towards dolls. I'd feel better about selling a doll that I bought with gift money than I did an actual doll I'd gotten as a gift. In that case it'd have been something I picked out, and not something family had picked out for me. I think even if it hadn't been a doll I was considering before, the sentimental value of knowing family or friends had picked out a doll for me would make me love it no matter what. <3

On the other hand, I have given a doll as a gift. The person I gave it to ended up leaving the hobby, and I told her she was more than welcome to sell the doll I'd given her. Instead, she gave it back to me, because she knew I'd appreciate it and she could still see it if she wanted, even though she didn't want to own it any longer. ^^ (It was more that she felt bad about the amount of money sitting on her shelf in doll form doing nothing. xD)

10. I'm actually having this problem now. I have a doll I received as a gift and want to sell it, but I feel bad since it was my very best friend who gave it to me. She wouldn't find out that I sold it, but I still think I would feel badly if I did! I really have mixed feelings on this subject!!!

11. I say if you let them know and they are OK with you selling it, do it. If they are not then don't... If you feel guilty bringing it up go about it another way, start a conversation about re-gifting that might break the ice... In the end if you feel guilty about selling it you always will (for betraying your friend or your doll) and is that worth the $$ in your pocket? not matter how much the doll is worth.

12. I have only one doll so far that is in some way a gift - my partner and his parents gave me the money for this doll as a gift for Christmas (it was not just any money but intended for the doll specifically, they knew that I really wanted this doll). I don't think I could ever sell this doll, but not only because she is a gift - simply because she is one of my dreamdolls (yes, I am that indecisive, I have more than one dreamdoll). I would probably end up selling all the other dolls first if I was in a financial crisis, but keep her as long as possible.
      If someone else sold a doll I gave them as a gift... Well, I have a doll that I plan to give my sister for her birthday, it is a hybrid whose parts I bought with my sister in mind (with the head sculpt being limited and by her favourite BJD company), for whom I made clothes, chose the eyes, the wig, made or bought special parts for (wings etc.), painted the face-up... I have a big problem parting with this doll already, I really grew to love it. I try to convince myself that the character of the doll "wants to live with my sister" and was intended to be hers from the beginning, so I cannot keep him. Well, given all that, I would be really heartbroken if she sold the doll right away.
      But if one day she has existence-threatening financial problems, then I would understand her selling it. I'd still prefer that she asks me for help before she has to sell him.
      And what if one doesn't like the gift doll? Somehow I cannot imagine someone giving me a doll as a gift that I wouldn't like. The one who would give me such an expensive gift probably likes me a lot, so they would know which dolls I like and which I don't.

13. My sister and I both collect dolls and given each other dolls as a gift and we have both sold them. Neither of us are offended. I think we both understand that you connect with certain ones better than others and that it happens.

14. Whenever I give a gift I always include a gift receipt when possible with the assumption that my taste might not be the same as the person receiving the gift. I also make it a point to tell the receiver that I won't be offended if they re-gift, exchange, etc. That way I don't have to worry about my feelings getting hurt and it also helps the other person not made to feel obligated to keep something they don't really like. It would also be the same with the gifting of a doll.

15. Don't care other's thought. You treat your doll(s) in your way is the most important. I mean, when someone hand you a doll, everything is up to you.

16. I think it depends on a few things... How much did they pay for it? Why are you selling it? Etc. I think that if the person paid a large sum of money for the doll, and you are selling it simply because you "don't like it anymore" that that is a rude situation. Before I would ever do that, I would ask the person if they wanted it back. However, if I am selling it because I really need the money... I think that I would just have to sell it, and let them know how sorry I was for selling it. But before I would do that, I would do my best to find income in another form. I think that BJDs are very expensive, and if someone bought one for me it would mean they truly cared about me, and/or they knew how much I wanted that specific doll. It'd be very difficult for me to sell it when I know that.

17. I would never be able to sell a doll that someone had given me. Although part of the reason is because im very emotional when it comes to gift and I have to keep it or else feel like i am stepping on their feelings... especially seeing how costly BJD's can be I wouldnt be able to bear selling a gift even if I really had too. I'd sooner take out a loan.

On the flip side, If someone sold a doll that i had given them i would feel sad but once a gift is given... it is theirs and they have the right to... It really is difficult to decide stance because once you give it is no longer yours but you do feel sad when someone sells something you put your feelings into giving them >///< I sound kinda hypocritical and paradoxical... oops.

18. I guess I would be kind of upset if someone sold a doll I'd given to them. I'd probably ask them if they would sell it to me, if they really didn't want to keep that doll XD'

If I were to receive a doll as a gift...I'd be super happy. And even if I didn't really bond with that doll, I'd try my best to like it and let it fit in with my other doll/s.
      The thought of selling dolls frightens me anyways, and giving away something that was given to you as a gift... I was always taught that you don't do that.

19. I have given a doll as a gift once, and to my knowledge she still has it.

ATM im considering giving one of my less then perfect dolls away, in the sense that i want to give her away to someone i do not know by posting a "who wants this doll" add. What is mostly holding me back is that i want it to go to someone who will love and cherish her, not to someone who will post her right back on the marketplace and own money from her.

I would prefer to let her go to someone who has no dolls, is desperate for one and is not likely to get one in another way soon, not to someone who will let me send it to her for free, then run of with the money.

20. I felt very bad, when I traded my first doll. I got him from my grandma to christmas and this was the major opputurnity for keep him for 5 years >.>
      I sold now a head, that was a birthday present for my ex-boyfriend.(He isnt on DoA so I need to do it >.>)
      I felt very bad, because I wanted to make him happy. He liked the presents from his best friend more, and it makes me really sad, that he didnt liked the head.