1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling Dolls Given as Gift - Giving the Gift of a Doll

Mar 1, 2011

1. I think that my doll is the most emotionally loaded gift I have ever received and I'm not just saying that because it's expensive. The majority of the gifts I receive from my parents are exactly what I wanted for Christmas or whatnot and don't seem to have any more meaning than something they'd buy me just because, or whatever. The doll I have was received because PinkCow is moving to Florida and we won't be able to see each other nearly as often. It's a going away gift; he reminds me of her every time I look at him. I love him to death because she means so much to me. I don't think I will ever sell my doll and I feel like it would be difficult for any doll to be given with no emotion behind the gesture the same way my Wii was given to me a few Christmases ago. Dolls are more meaningful than anything I've ever owned. In the off chance that I do sell him someday I would use the money to buy another doll, but I don't think it would feel the same at all.

2. I have received dolls as gifts and turned around and sold them because they weren't what I was expecting in person. It's nothing personal as I'm sure the gifter would rather I utilize those funds for a gift I'd actually enjoy. It's no different to me than if someone bought me a shirt that was two sizes too small and exchanging it for something else. Now if my mother bought me a doll and passed away shortly thereafter then the doll would have taken on a greater significance and I don't think I'd part with it if I could. But I think that's an entirely different situation.

Here recently I've received two dolls as gifts from my partner and I don't think I'll be parting with them if I can help it. They are not only dream dolls but are also special to me because of who gave them to me. That isn't to say I'll never sell them because I don't think anything is for certain. Selling gifts are no different.

3. I've actually gotten a doll as a gift before, from two pretty awesome friends. She was a mold I'd expressed high interest in bonded immediately with, and if possible, I'd never sell her. However, if I needed too to pay bills, while she would be the last to go, she'd go. And I think, though bummed out, those awesome friends would understand, as one has a not so steady job situation, and the other actually moved back home to save money while going to school. Though I would feel guilt over it, for sure. I'm also sure it would pass, as like I said, they would understand.

If I was lucky enough to have the finances to gift a doll, I'd expect the same sort of thing. However, if they really weren't bonding, I wouldn't be mad, be say, for selling it, especially if they used the moola to get another one they did bond with much better. Bummed for a bit, yes, but not angry, and it would pass.

4. I don't get rid of gifts. I just don't. It would be completely taboo for me to even consider it, regardless of what it is. Typically the only time i would is when i've had the item for so long i've forgotten it was a gift. I was raised that it was incredibly rude to giveaway or sell gifts given to you. So even if it was a doll that turns out i couldn't bond very well, or didn't particularly like but that seems unlikly that someone would get me a doll i wouldn't like, i would still try to make it work by either modding it or whatever. A gift is a gift, and as i'm well aware of how much dolls cost and are worth that's a lot for some people to gift so it would mean a lot to them making it special regardless.

If i gave a doll to someone and they sold it? I'd probably be hurt considering how i was raised. But i suppose i'd understand if they did it because they needed the money or to get a doll they much rather prefer. I'd rather they be happy than stuck with a doll they don't want. I'd still be hurt but it's not really up to me what another person does with their stuff.

5. i was given a doll as a gift and its still the most generous thing someone has ever done for me. however, i did have to sell her in order to pay some medical bills, and to this day i still feel guilty, even though the girl who bought her, now has her dream doll. it was rather like my dream being transferred to someone else.

6. I think, like many others that have posted here, that if I was the seller of the doll, I honestly wouldn't feel guilty unless I was selling it for some selfish reason, which I would never do. I could only see myself selling the doll for 2 reasons, 1) I didn't bond with the doll, or 2) I need the money for some necessity that was more important than the doll.

As for if i gave the money toward someone's doll fund, I wouldn't be upset if they changed their mind on what doll they were getting or what they were using it for because it's a gift from me to them to use for whatever they want for the holiday! And if I had given them a doll for a holiday and they sold it I wouldn't be upset unless they weren't grateful for the thought that was put into it or the cost of it. If they thought "gosh this doll is so cheap, i don't want it", then I would be upset. ;] but if they sold it because they couldn't bond or they didn't care for the mold or brand or body type or needed the money for something else, that's fine because I'd want them to really like what I gave them, even if it means them selling the doll for money and then buying something that they REALLY want or need.

7. I dont really know how I would feel about that. If I were given a doll and I wanted to sell it because I didn't like it, I think it would be ok. maybe the person who gave it to you wont realize you replaced it with a doll you actually like. Maybe see how they feel about it first?

If I gave someone a doll (Unlikely) and they wanted to sell it, I'd be ok with it because I want them to actually like their doll. BUT I want them to inform me first so that I can tell them how much it cost me so we both don't get screwed. Even if I did want to get someone a doll, I would do research first to see what they want or just let them pick it.

But then I would be expecting something really awesome from them next time they get me a gift....no pressure >.< lol

8. I have bought dolls for my girlfriend and she has bought dolls for me and we have both sold those dolls, and used the money to buy other dolls or doll related things, almost like recycling :) We bought dolls we knew each other were after so we both loved them and kept them around for quite some time, but we know each other very well and when its time to get rid of a doll. We obviously asked each other first about selling them when this has happened.

I think it really depends on your relationship to that person.

9. I think it would be up to that person for me if it was someone like my mother or sister that gave me one no i would not sell it but if it was my husband and i knowing him then yes i would because i know that he would buy me another one some day.

10. I feel like when you give someone a gift doll or anything else you basically have no say in what happens to said gift so, if i were to give someone a doll as a gift and they sold it to buy soemthing they now wanted more then i would just be happy tht they had my gift to be able to sell and get what they truley wanted. Onteh flip side i dont think i could sell a doll someone gave me as a gift unless i really disliked it.

11. First off, I have to say my hubbie is pretty darn cool. I had dolls (nekked, unpainted, etc.) but when I helped organize a doll event, and started hanging with ladies with tricked out dolls, he decided a perfect anniversary gift would be a full set doll. He shopped around for weeks and finally settled on a Senior Delf Blanchet with an extra event head. Before he plunked down the cash, he showed her to me. I hadn't been looking in that direction so I had to warm up to her. She's more sweet faced than I usually go for but he chose her with me in mind, so I went with it. Surprisingly, I liked her much better in person, and the event head is really my taste. It was almost like getting 2 dolls.

Well, I tend to collect in boy/girl pairs, so I started hunting for a guy to match my Blanchet. My heart was set on one of the IH EID guys, so I started saving. Dear Hubbie knew and he offered several options to raise the cash, like selling some items on Ebay and cashing in the piggy bank. I say a good 60% of that doll was due to his generosity as well. I couldn't imagine selling either of these gifts; they've taken on greater significance than just pretty cool toys.

In a similar situation, one of my dear friends gave another friend a number of collectible SF toys and models over a long period of time. The receiver fell on hard times and made the bold move to downsize his personal effects. All well and good, except he asked the gift giver's help in auctioning those very same gifts. Ow. "Here's a box of crap I don't need anymore. Could you be a pal and auction it all off for me?" That's just plain hurtful.

I'm pleased to see most folks posting would at least have some consideration for the giver's feelings, whichever action they chose.

12. Personally, I have rules for myself with gifts. I keep gifts, that's pretty much it. I put meaning on each and every gift I receive, so I pretty much never ever sell them. I hate getting gifts I can eat, because I don't want to use them up. I guess this makes me a bit of a hoarder, but I don't really feel this way about anything I buy for myself.

I am careful with gifts I give. I try to get people things I am sure they will want to keep to prevent any problems later on. So, with regards to dolls, that means I would not gift a doll to someone who sells their treasures for money. I would be insulted, and they would likely not understand, so I try to prevent this sort of thing. Makes sense to me.

I'm not yet sure if I even can sell my dolls. They're rather emotional, except for my Bobobie Sprite. I think making myself keep them all will help keep my number of dolls under 100, so it's probably for the best.

13. For me, If someone gave me something small that I have room for and can keep. I would rather Keep them. And if I gave a doll to someone, then it's their doll. They can do whatever they want with it. Sell it. Burn it. Keep it. :XD: But if they look like they didn't want a doll in the first place, I'll keep that in the back of my mind so that I would not gave dolls anymore to that person.

14. I did sell dolls that were gifted to me (relatively recently, actually), and I don't feel guilty about it at all. I never really liked the dolls in question and all they did was sit in their boxes in my closet over the past years. Finally, I decided to get rid of them in order to finance the dolls that I did want. Having said that, I want to clarify that not being crazy about the gifted dolls and selling them did not make me appreciate the gift any less. In fact, I was very happy that I was given gifts that I could sell relatively easily and quickly in order to get what I really want. In contrast, I have plenty of expensive gifts that I will never be able to sell and that will continue to collect dust in my closet, making me feel very bad for the money that was spent on them by the giver.

What I did try to do when I sold off the dolls is use the money to fund a doll that would then represent a gift from the original giver. For example, I have a friend who gave me two dolls in the past, but, since I never really liked them, I sold them. The money I got for these two dolls went towards one doll that I really wanted and once she arrives, I will consider her to be officially his gift to me, since I used the money I made from the gifted dolls to buy her. I feel this preserves the memory of the gift giver, even though I no longer have the original gift.

To answer the second part of the question - I wouldn't be upset at all, if a gift I gave, be it a doll or anything else, was sold to finance something else. The most important thing to me when I give a gift is for the recipient to be happy. I try to give gifts that are useful and wanted, but I can't always get it right. I would hate to spend money on something that is put in the closet, never to be seen again; I'd rather it be sold off and converted to something enjoyable, whatever it is.

15. I would be heartbroken if I were to give a doll as a present to someone and that person would sell it :/ These dolls are so expensive that I see it as a big sacrifice and proof of love to give one.
      With that said, I would never ever ever sell a doll or any doll accessory/prop/anything that was given to me. Besides, overall I refuse to sell gifts that were given to me, no matter how much I hate them, I treasure them all!

16. I suppose I will put my two cents in. :)

As far as getting a doll, I would be thrilled. Especially if it was a mold that I had been wanting for a while. I don't think I would ever sell him/her. A doll is a very sweet, and for me also a very personal sort of gift. Unless I just absolutely hated the mold or something...in which case I would consider it. But that wouldn't happen, I don't think, as most of my dollie friends know what molds I like.

As far as giving a doll to someone...I would do my best to make sure that said doll was one they would really like forever. But I also wouldn't be that upset if they decided to sell him/her at a later date. After all, like some people said, they didn't get to pick him/her out themselves.

17. I wouldn't have any problems at all if the person I give a doll were to sell it. Many presents you buy nowadays come with an excahnge coupon to make sure the receiver can exchange for money if he/she doesn't like it. I feel it's the same for dolls. If the person doesn't love it then it's a lot better for that person to sell it and use the money on something else they like more. After all, it's a lot of money for a doll to just sit around being uninteresting. I wouldn't buy a doll for a person who isn't into ABJD anyways so if it's a person who is into ABJD, then I think the person would have good reason to sell it and maybe buy a new one more to their taste :)
      But I'll be thrilled, of course, if the person I was to gift loves it. That would mean I know that person very well :lol:

On the other side, I don't know how I'd react if I were to be the person who receives. I guess I'll see who the gifter were and then eventually formulate a good speech and explain why I want to sell it without hurting that person.

18. I'd love to say I'd never sell a doll that was given to me as a gift, but from my own experience I know it depends on who gave the doll to me. For instance, I got a doll for my birthday from my boyfriend and after a while I finally dared to admit to myself and to him that I wasn't bonding with her like I had hoped I would be. Fortunately he was very understanding and he encouraged me to sell the doll, so that I could get another.

19. My second ("real" first) doll was a gift from a friend she got as a gift from the company. We took care of those question the moment I accepted to have it. She told me that if I ever was to sell her that I would give 50% of the price. And I was pretty happy to accept.
      When I finally sold her about a year later (lati-sized dolls are cute but not my thing) I gladly gave what I "owned" her ;3

I also gave a condition to my sister when I gave her a head, I told her to ask me first before selling. I'm pretty sure she would not want all the "fuss" of the transaction so she may only sell her back to me or give her back depending on her mood that day :P

If a friend buys a doll from me (really rare~ more becasue I do not sell whole dolls often) and I still like the doll I will sometimes ask them to tell me if they sell it in case I want to re-buy it :P

All in all I am pretty open to this. Even if it is a gift it is yours the moment the person gave it to you and while it would be really impolite to sell it straight away, it is something you can/could do. It's all in the conditions you make when you give it that really matters ;3
      PS: I say it is impolite, but it depends on who gave it to you. Some people would understand the "bonding" you have to do with a doll to really like it others not~

Is it "ok" to make conditions ? Why not!?
      Without it my friend would not have gotten a little something from the doll she gave me (even though she did not pay for it, she did have it in her possession at one time), I would not have the chance to maybe buy a doll I liked back from a friend or get/sell a doll I gave to my sister when she doens't want it anymore~

20. Well, if someone were to gift me a doll as a present, I'll definitely go crazy and no matter what type the doll, I would treasure it a lot ^___6

One the other hand, if I were to gift a doll to someone, it would be someone very close to me for I wouldn't just gift anyone something so expensive and if that someone were to sell it off...I guess I'll have a heart break if I got to know it...to me gifting something that I like and it's expensive means that, that person means a lot to me that I would share and gift something I like and if that person sells it simply makes me think twice that is it worthy to treat that person a good friend...well, I think not even a festive greeting is worthy to be gifted to such person...sorry, but that's how I really feel about it >___<