1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Selling Dolls Given as Gift - Giving the Gift of a Doll

Mar 1, 2011

1. Of course you can sell it later. Why wouldn't you? ^^
      I mean, if you don't like it or don't bond with it. Why should you keep it? Maybe there is someone else who would love it more? ^^

Uh, I hope I didn't sound weird xD

2. I'd say it would depend very much on the situation. As Ehryn say, if the doll turned out to be less lovable for the new owner i wouldn't get as upset as if they just wnated the doll to sell it.
      Then again..
      "If i handpicked this doll on basis of long term wish of a friend (i wouldn't buy for just anyone) and they just sell it on, i would probably get a little sad because i thought they would actually love it.
      If i just bought a doll on a hunch that they would love it, and they sell it on, i would take it as an: okay a dud, better luck next time. Because it would be my own doing from beginning to end with no certainties that they actually like the mold, face, what ever.. :3

3. Well, for the dolls I gave away one of the prerequisites was that the person i gave them to would not sell them, but give them away to someone else if they dont want them anymore. Would have really disliked if I gave one away to someone who would use my give away to make money.

4. I would never sell a doll that had been given to me as a present. I would love him/her because he/she would probably remind me of the beloved who gave me the doll in the first place! ^-^

5. Hmm... I gave a YOSD to my favorite girlfriend years ago. I really don't expect her to sell him since she keeps all her dolls, and generally treasures gifts from people she cares for. If she were to sell him I'd be surprised, but I wouldn't be mad. I'd be curious as to what she was gonna buy with the money - especially if it was another BJD. I doubt she'd tell me, too, so I'd likely never find out unless I was bugging her for him to paint him. I'd mostly feel bad for her since I know she's the type to feel guilty about that type of thing big time. lol she's so sentimental.. I'd likely have to convince her that it's REALLY okay. My hope is, of coarse, that when she's older she'll get into the hobby, and collect resin as well as porcelain/other gift/collector dolls. She'd make a good BJD owner, but if she decided to sell her Honey Delf Choco for a porcelain doll, that's her taste. If she sold him because of some financial problem without first telling me, I think I'd wanna cry. I'd give her money before letting her do that. It was my money in the first place anyhow.. I actually would sell a gift doll if I wasn't crazy about it.. depends on the person who gives it though. I've never been given a doll as a gift, and would be SO smitten because they're soo expensive. I actually asked for a YOSD for xmas, which was kind of embarrassing for me since it's expensive. I said to my parent that's the ONLY thing I want... since she tends to get me a LOT of presents, and always one BIG expensive thing. I'm still being spoiled like the 'kid' in the family at age 19. She actually got me an Erhu last year, which I asked for... my aunts husband is good at finding things online. (and it still sounds like a cow when I'm trying to play it >_<) But she still got me 'side-gifts' which I was kind of trying to make her not do by asking for a very specific, more expensive thing... I figured the total spent would be less overall if I did that lol. Don't get me wrong... I LOVE being spoiled. I love getting gifts but asking for them is so awkward for me.. as well as being the one opening the most. Since I'm out of work this year I can not pull of a huge surprise like I did last year.. got Star Trek themed things for 'everyone'.. Spock shaped cookie jar... collectors cups, coasters... a whole food - related set. We're all Trekkies here. This year I sent her a bunch of links to YOSD's I'd be potentially happy to see under the tree.. I'm really not sure if she looked at that email much, so I'm not expecting a doll this xmas. Money is tight, too, so I might encourage her not to spend on me as it gets closer to shopping time, and I'll go shopping WITH her to make sure she has to sneak more if she's gonna spend a lot on me. After all that being said though, if she gave me one I couldn't bond with, I'd sell it for the YOSD girl I have my sights on now. Most likely she wouldn't notice what I did, since she thought that my 5StarDoll Bibi head was in fact my Pixiu's head, when she asked "...is that your original doll". lol. I was curious to see if she'd just believe that answer. Told her the next day I bought a new doll though. So as long as I got one with the same general skin tone and gender, she probably couldn't tell. My friend on the other hand.. the one that I think will probably become a resin collector when she gets older... if she gave me a BJD of ANY size, I KNOW how hard she would look at sculpts before picking one out for me. The only reason she'd buy me a BJD is because I bought her a BJD, and she'd most likely do what I did for her - base if off one of my original characters. Even if the sculpt wasn't 100% accurate to my OC's facial features or body, I know she'd probably try her best to get it right, and treasure him/her. I could not sell that personally. I probably would never sell one from my fiance for that matter, either, since I worship the spot on the couch his freaking butt sits on as it is. lol. Umm.. who else could possibly gift me a doll.. my friend who likes Gi Joes. If he got me a doll I wouldn't sell that out of sentimentality. I would HOPE he didn't get me an SD, since he spends a lot on gifts sometimes... I'd feel so bad cause resin dolls are a bit out of his realm of knowledge, and if he had the urge to get me one I'd hope he didn't think the 'cheaper' ones and tinies are a bad thing. I guess the only other two people who I can imagine getting me a doll at this point would be my Great Grandma (I'd keep it in a laser protected glass case with a curtain!!) or my uncle... which would be very strange but I'd be too humbled to sell that too.. he's a more distant person, and is a BIG hobby guy who gets obsessed with his hobbies...so for him to even acknowledge or help with one of my hobbies is like being patted on the head by jesus for me.. lol. He takes my BJD's the most seriously out of anyone except my one Gi Joe friend... Maybe even more seriously. Even though he joked about blow-up dolls before when talking about them.. XD So.. receiving a doll from my aunt which my uncle even helped pick out would be like whoa.. thanks Jesus. Big rant.. I'm done now XD

6. A friend gave me a doll. I won't sell it unless I have no choice (and that does NOT count selling it because I need to buy another doll). But that's just me.

If anyone else wants to sell their doll that was a gift, they can make up their own mind about it.

7. I'm going to give my boyfriend my Kid Delf Woori. I've never gotten attacted to him, and he's been trying to save for one, but it keeps falling though. So he thought he was cute and I decided, why not? I didn't pay for him, traded a doll for a body and him, so I'm not out anything. He'll be sent with some clothes and shoes, what eyes he has in, and a wig or two. I hope he'll be enjoyed.

8. well i only have three (technically four) dolls that were given as gifts... but one of those is my dollie that i would sooner starve to death than part with, anyways my two girls italia and luka where anniversary and birthday gifts from my wonderful boyfriend, and while ive had a hard time bonding with both of them since i dont bond well with girl dollies i dont think i could ever bring myself to let them go simply because i know how hard it is to afford these dollies and i know that my darling boyfriend worked hard both to afford and to try and pick out dollies he thought i would like so while i havent bonded well with the doll itself i know they arent going anywhere simply because of the love and attachment i have to the memory and emotion behind them!

and the last "gift" dollie wasnt really a gift... she is my only tiny doll, a DZ momo, that i actually TRADED for but me and the person i traded with have become penpals and good friends overall and she traded the girlie for practically nothing (though i added lots of stuff we hadnt agreed to trade for as gifts to her and her kids) and she included tons of extras as gifts for me and my boyfriend so i have the memory and emotional attachment to that girlie as well and dont think i could ever part with her either!

9. doll is expensive <3 and i treat them as soul. this feeling cannot giving by present i think
      I usually give a gift to my doll XD for them birthday most of time

10. I gave my friend her first doll. Kind of abandoned him at her house actually. He was an impulse by and my first resin and I did love him. But I saw she loved him alot more than me and I decided to give him to her. If she ever sold him I would hate to see him go but I know that he is hers now and if she were to sell him he would go to someone that would love him.

Good thing she is really attached to him and he isn't going anywhere XD I actually got a doll as a gift from her and I would NEVER sell my Cookie!